Hamaru Shoujo [High School] [Drama] [Psychological] [BxG] [18+] [Ren'Py]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
GoAskAlex
Tumblr: go-ask-alex-anonymous

Hamaru Shoujo [High School] [Drama] [Psychological] [BxG] [18+] [Ren'Py]

#1 Post by GoAskAlex »

Overview
Inspired in part by Missing Stars, a spiritual successor to Katawa Shoujo that deals with psychological disorders, and in part by my own experiences with addiction, Hamaru Shoujo (tentative name, almost certain to change) is an upcoming VN-in-progress set at a fictional recovery high school for students with substance use disorders. The reader takes on the role of nineteen-year-old Cody, a model student and aspiring athlete whose life is suddenly disrupted by the overdose that nearly kills him.

There are a total of five planned character routes, with both good and bad endings for each route. The finished VN will deal with potentially sensitive themes including depictions of mental illness, drug use, addiction, homelessness, and overdose.

The School
Located on the west coast of the United States, Oakwood Recovery High School is a school specializing in the support and education of students with drug and alcohol addictions.With a body of three hundred students annually, it is one of the larger high schools of its kind, and unlike many other recovery schools, Oakwood takes a predominantly harm reduction-based approach to recovery. Students are not required to commit to abstinence, though possession of drugs, alcohol, or paraphernalia on campus is still strictly forbidden. Additionally, routine drug tests are administered, but a failed drug test is rarely if ever grounds for disciplinary action.

Students stay in on-campus dorms and must sign in and out before leaving the property. The school is equipped with a medical wing staffed by doctors, nurses, and psychiatrists specializing in substance abuse.

Characters
(Temporary character art from https://picrew.me/image_maker/100365 )

Cody Schneider • 19 • 5'11 • 178 lbs • Leo

The narrator and protagonist of Hamaru Shoujo, Cody is a straight-A student and star soccer player whose life descends into chaos after he overdoses on heroin the night before Christmas. Now a semester behind, he enrolls at Oakwood Recovery High School to finish out his senior year while grappling with the difficult question of what exactly "recovery" looks like.

Elle Whitecross • 18 • 5'8 • 145 lbs • Cancer

The notoriously airheaded student council president and an avid reader of sappy romance novels. She hails from a successful but dysfunctional New York family and has been attending Oakwood for the past year. Her motorcycle is her pride and joy, but her licence is suspended.

Sora O'Neil • 18 • 5'2 • 160 lbs • Scorpio

Elle's vice president and the resident chubby pastel goth. She's a woman of few words, though when she does bother to engage in conversation, her comeback game is impeccable. She has a dark, edgy sense of humor, and in her free time, she likes to binge watch anime and do blind speedruns of video games.

Mariah Browning • 19 • 5'9 • 139 lbs • Capricorn

An aspiring artist and poet from Cody's homeroom. Prior to enrolling at Oakwood, she dropped out of public school and lived on the streets for a number of months. She manages the school's self-funded co-ed basketball team.

Agnes Shea-Walsh • 18 • 5'10 • 125 lbs • Gemini

An Irish-blooded party girl with a short attention span and an even shorter temper. If there's drama on or off campus, Agnes is usually among the first to know about it. She has a penchant for getting into trouble and can rarely ever remember where she put her cell phone, car keys, wallet, or pet dog.

Kayla Jordans • 18 • 5'5 • 122 lbs • Sagittarius

A socially-withdrawn nature enthusiast and science nerd with a strangely obsessive love of snakes. She walks with a noticeable limp and suffers from chronic pain, both results of a childhood accident that left her physically and psychologically damaged. Her favorite dessert is deep fried Oreos.

Development Log
3/14/2020 — Topic posted in ideas forum. Begun early work on writing and programming.
Last edited by GoAskAlex on Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Hamaru Shoujo [High School] [Drama] [BxG] [18+] [Ren'Py]

#2 Post by Zelan »

This looks really sweet. All of your characters feel 3-dimensional, even with such short descriptions. Looking forward to seeing more (:

MarkusLappalainen
Regular
Completed: Several short films and games (including VNs)
Projects: A feature film, a short film and my own music
Organization: Audio Cabin from the North
Soundcloud: Markus Lappalainen

#3 Post by MarkusLappalainen »

The temporary character art looks really fun! But since it’s only temporary, enough of that. What are you actually thinking when it comes to the visual style of the novel, Both character art and backgrounds? I would love to see it as something else than manga. Of course it’s up to you to decide, but I feel that the theme could carry the weight of a more grown-up, realistic art style. It could also make the story more impactful.

Oh, and you have to send me a message when you’re ready to think about music! I would love to work with you on this. I’ve been looking around for a more serious production.
Have a happy day! 8)
- Markus Lappalainen, composer & music consultant
Scoring Portfolio

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

Thought #1: be careful with the scope of your story. I probably say this too much. However, keep this in mind unless you've already finished writing at least one piece of fiction, or unless you've already finished creating at least one game. Sometimes it's worth eliminating a major character if that makes it easier to complete writing your story. Sometimes it's worth eliminating subplots for the same reason.

Thought #2: what will happen in your story? I think that starting with "boy meets girl" makes sense. Continuing with "boy chooses one heroine" is fine. After that, will the rest of the story focus on their relationship and health problems? Consider what other things are essential to your story and its conflict. Rivalry? Reconnecting with friends and family? Career and education goals?
MarkusLappalainen wrote:What are you actually thinking when it comes to the visual style of the novel, Both character art and backgrounds? I would love to see it as something else than manga. Of course it’s up to you to decide, but I feel that the theme could carry the weight of a more grown-up, realistic art style.
Sometimes published fiction can benefit from a dissonant art style. Combining comical art with unpleasant topics can work. That said, sometimes it doesn't. When illustrations contrast with subject matter, that can result in a story that struggles to find an audience.

GoAskAlex
Tumblr: go-ask-alex-anonymous

#5 Post by GoAskAlex »

MarkusLappalainen wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:38 am The temporary character art looks really fun! But since it’s only temporary, enough of that. What are you actually thinking when it comes to the visual style of the novel, Both character art and backgrounds? I would love to see it as something else than manga. Of course it’s up to you to decide, but I feel that the theme could carry the weight of a more grown-up, realistic art style. It could also make the story more impactful.

Oh, and you have to send me a message when you’re ready to think about music! I would love to work with you on this. I’ve been looking around for a more serious production.
I definitely agree that an art style other than the typical manga-esque style would fit this project. I haven't really put much thought into it aside from that, since I don't have any artists on board yet, but I do feel that something a little more serious and realistic would fit the project better. No shade on anime/manga-style art; I'd just like to try something different.

And I'll definitely let you know! I'd love the help.

MarkusLappalainen
Regular
Completed: Several short films and games (including VNs)
Projects: A feature film, a short film and my own music
Organization: Audio Cabin from the North
Soundcloud: Markus Lappalainen

#6 Post by MarkusLappalainen »

I’ll hold you to that! ;) I kid, I kid! :D

I have a friend who is an amazing artist.. but I don’t know your budget so I can’t really say if he’s too expensive or not. He does anything from realistic to cartoony. Character art, that is. Can’t remember how well he does sceneries. Surely well, but I am sure he can speak for himself if you are interested. Send a mail to markustalappalainen@icloud.com if you need anything! :)
Have a happy day! 8)
- Markus Lappalainen, composer & music consultant
Scoring Portfolio