[COMPLETE] (P)lanets -GxB

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
oiseau
Regular

Re: [WIP] (P)lanets -GxB

#16 Post by oiseau »

Good luck making your visual novel. The guys don't look like complete clones, especially with the three of them having distinct enough personalities from one another, so I wouldn't worry too much about them looking a bit alike. I like the concept of a psychic academy, too. Sounds like it could be fun.

Your latest picture, hm... I'm not an artist of the drawing kind or anything, but I would think about redoing the feet if I were you. Something about them looks a little off - they're kind of stubby.
Up and coming visual novelist. Another girl obsessed with writing.
x-xImage
x-xJe pense, donc je suis~

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#17 Post by teacup »

n_n Thank you.

Yeah, I'm aware that their feet are small. Feet are my least favorite thing to draw and no matter where or how I draw them, they will always look bad. xD
I'll try and redo them, however I have no guaranteeing they'll look any better. I guess every amateur artist has their weakness that can't be overcome except with lots of practicing. :lol:
I mean, I know I have problems with my art (like similar hairs and some proportional problems) but well.. I'm not a professional at all. So shouldn't a few problems be expected? >_<

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by lepapillonrouge »

Ooh, more GxB. :3

I love that red haired guy in the screenshot.

Whoever he is >D
deviantART
---------------------

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#19 Post by Aleema »

teacup wrote:I'm not a professional at all. So shouldn't a few problems be expected? >_<
Yes, jeez. People are getting so picky lately! The game should be good enough for you. When I saw the promotional flyer, I saw the feet, but you want to know my reaction? "The guy with the white hair is sooo my type."
What is with people critiquing your art on you in this thread? I've seen MUCH worse drawings in a Ren'Py game, and no one says a damned thing. I mean, in on one of those games, the characters were actual clones of each other, too! And I should say that there are some GxB games where I'm just not attracted to any of the characters because of the art style. Your characters are actually handsome, and I would enjoy playing with them.

Back off people, let her breathe. She's not going to get anywhere with her game if you make her feel like her art is inadequate.
And it's far from inadequate -- it's nearly perfect for Ren'Py. A game engine for everyone to enjoy.

oiseau
Regular

#20 Post by oiseau »

I don't want to make this into a bigger deal than it really is (because it definitely isn't), but I am going to defend my decision to mention the issue I had with the feet. I wasn't trying to make you feel like your art was sub par, teacup, and if I did, then I apologize. I realize that my post could come off as being negative, but I meant to be encouraging. I'm not bashing your artwork. And, to Aleema, I apologize for seeming so picky that you had to write all of that - it wasn't my intention to nitpick, at all.

teacup, I know you're not a professional, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to suggest things to you that may make your work even better than it already is, especially when I wasn't ripping your work apart when I gave my advice. Yes, maybe I should have elaborated or pointed you to a tutorial, I don't know. Like I've already said, your characters don't even look like clones to me... I just saw the feet in the promo as something that could have been improved and wanted to voice my concern, that's all. I didn't want to pat you on the back for something that could make the promo ten times better once fixed.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to help if I didn't think your project had potential. I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to force some quality standard on you. As Aleema said, everyone can enjoy visual novel making. Your art is your art - I'll leave it alone, like I probably should have in the first place. Next time, I won't point out anything that could be reworked if you don't ask for it. Best of luck with your game. :)
Up and coming visual novelist. Another girl obsessed with writing.
x-xImage
x-xJe pense, donc je suis~

Ren

#21 Post by Ren »

I wouldn't waste my time trying to help if I didn't think your project had potential.
This, 9000 of times.

I have the exact position, and I actually didn't see your comment as offensive at all. I too think Teacup's art is very pretty, but like for everyone else, there are still things to improve (whether she agrees with you is another pair of shoes, mind, if she liked the feet, she should keep them).

Anyway, as a general advice, try to put the "bad" first, and the good to close your comment, it usually leaves a better impression. :3

Waiting for this VN impatiently, the images are very alluring!

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#22 Post by teacup »

--Aleema
Thank you so much n_n That makes me feel a lot better.

--oiseau
Well, I wasn't saying that your comment offended me because it did not. I understand you're trying to help and that's all.
But, it is a bit tiring that people seem to be very picky.. I appreciate your suggestions as I know that there are problems with my art. I just don't want others to expect something perfect from me.
So.. maybe if you could focus on the positive rather than negatives? For examples, what did you like about my drawing?
If I always focused on the negatives in people's art, I would never be able to appreciate what was good about it.
But I'm sorry if I sounded defensive. That wasn't how I wanted to sound exactly.

--Ren
Thank you.
I'm still very new to drawing with my tablet so there is a lot of time to improve. But I'm glad you still are able to enjoy my images, despite their flaws =]

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#23 Post by Aleema »

oiseau wrote: And, to Aleema, I apologize for seeming so picky that you had to write all of that - it wasn't my intention to nitpick, at all.
Nah, I wasn't pointing any fingers. It was just the combination of wtf-height + wtf-hair + wtf-feet comments, that made the artist herself go "whoa, what's with all the bashing?" that I found needed to be addressed. I understand that these comments are made in the effort to be constructive, but it isn't really called for in this thread. If she wanted help with her art, she'd A.) ask or B.) post in the art forum. That's all. :)

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#24 Post by teacup »

n_n;;
I feel like I caused some problems here...
How about I put it as this: even if you tell me what's wrong with my art, it probably will not change too much. It's simply my style. So... telling me what's wrong is more of a discouragement than help to me.

Anyway, I'm making some progress!
If a character is talking off-screen, there's a super deformed chibi of them in the textbox. :lol:
Here's a screenshot I took to show that. And also a CG. xD
Attachments
cg3.png

Ren

#25 Post by Ren »

I actually think it's very pretty. :3
As I told you before, I think there is something special about the way you draw! So, while you get EVEN better (making the distinction is quite important), I'll enjoy your drawings as they are now, which means: already of a very good quality, endearing and very pleasing to look at. but I'm also sure you can aim for even greater standards, you're not that far away from some professional drawers I love (like Matsuri Hino <3 She's my goddess!)

It is normal to discuss in a forum like this, don't ever worry about having caused any trouble for having said it when something discouraged you!

And when this is ready, I'm going to play it right away, even if I had to stay up overnight to do so!

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#26 Post by MaiMai »

I am sooo keeping watch on this game

And now that I have time, I should focus on my game as well B|
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

EbonyChalk
Projects: In progress: Meaning of Words. Other projects: Still in their 'blueprint' stages.

#27 Post by EbonyChalk »

I swear, that looks absolutely amazing! :mrgreen: I really hope you finish this soon!

P.S. What happened to Kaius' pic in the first post? Or is that just me?
First project in progress (GxB): .::Meaning of Words::.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#28 Post by teacup »

--Ren
Thank you so much!
I will try hard to improve. But Matsuri Hino is too good. xD she is the artist of Vampire Knight right?

--MaiMai
Ok! Good luck with your own game. I love your art style. =]

--EbonyChalk
No not just you... it went poof.
Thanks for telling me. I'll fix that... xD;

Ren

#29 Post by Ren »

Yes. <3

And "Wanted", a manga about pirates. :3 I wholeheartedly recommend it, you can read it on Onemanga, it's very good!

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#30 Post by teacup »

Pirates?
Wow, I have to check that out. I've been reading too much shoujo lately though. xD

By the way, I made an opening video but I used a song from an anime. I've seen lots of people do this for personal uses (like people who make their own anime), but am I not allowed to include this as part of my game? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about this. >_<