[COMPLETE] (P)lanets -GxB

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

Re: [WIP] (P)lanets -GxB

#61 Post by teacup »

--sake-bento
Ah okay so in that case.. a demo might come out this month after all. ^^

--happysnowXD
Well, he is not a "main" character, but it is possible to have a romance with him, yes.. xD

The CRxTR
Regular
Projects: "Project Fareena"
Organization: Cyclohexane Games
Tumblr: crxtrdude
Github: crxtrdude
itch: crxtrdude
Discord: CRxTRDude#9493

#62 Post by The CRxTR »

Well, a demo should have a piece of the great features (playability, graphics, story) giving them a interactive preview of the game.

And I always see this pattern... after the "end-user" finishes the game, they (the developer) place a notice that thanks the player for playing and entice (sorry I don't know what word to place) him/her to wait for the release of the full version.
CRxTR

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#63 Post by teacup »

The CRxTR wrote:Well, a demo should have a piece of the great features (playability, graphics, story) giving them a interactive preview of the game.

And I always see this pattern... after the "end-user" finishes the game, they (the developer) place a notice that thanks the player for playing and entice (sorry I don't know what word to place) him/her to wait for the release of the full version.
Oh, right... okay! In that case the demo will have to go somewhat longer than the prologue (there is no decision points in the prologue). I agree, when I play a demo I will like to see the gameplay as well.
I'll consider that too. n_n
I have seen that 'notice' at the end of demos as well. I usually dread seeing such notices, to know that I cannot play anymore.. XD

Hmm so... I need an opinion of something that is bothering me.
This game is setting in Japan. Does this mean I should be using name honorifics? That is, -chan, -kun-, -san, and such? Or not?
Some Japanese games that have been English-translated, I notice, remove the use of honorifics.
I know it can bother some people, that if a game is in Japan, they should use these honorifics. But some people will say that because it is an English game, the honorifics sound awkward? Do you think I should use honorific or not? :?

Also, here's an update!
Lucan has a new sprite because his old one was dumb and ugly.

And I'm working on a website.
Not much yet, but I should have the rest of the character up today.
http://teacup-pro.webs.com

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#64 Post by PrettySammy09 »

A website! How exciting. :D

Nice progress -you're doing awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product!

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#65 Post by sake-bento »

teacup wrote:Hmm so... I need an opinion of something that is bothering me.
This game is setting in Japan. Does this mean I should be using name honorifics? That is, -chan, -kun-, -san, and such? Or not?
Some Japanese games that have been English-translated, I notice, remove the use of honorifics.
I know it can bother some people, that if a game is in Japan, they should use these honorifics. But some people will say that because it is an English game, the honorifics sound awkward? Do you think I should use honorific or not? :?
Well, I think you should use what you think best suits the game. I personally have no issue with it. The honorifics are a pretty important part of Japanese culture and language, and if it's set in Japan, then I have no problem with it (it's only when the story is set in Germany or something that things get weird). I've seen plenty of American media where people visiting Japan use honorifics or are addressed with honorifics, so I don't think it should bother people too much.

The CRxTR
Regular
Projects: "Project Fareena"
Organization: Cyclohexane Games
Tumblr: crxtrdude
Github: crxtrdude
itch: crxtrdude
Discord: CRxTRDude#9493

#66 Post by The CRxTR »

teacup wrote:This game is setting in Japan. Does this mean I should be using name honorifics?
Well, maybe you should. Japanese are really respectful to each other.

The honorifics are sometimes removed by some translators for Americans don't have the equivalent...(maybe, some but not all...) or because they are of the same age group (you can't just call another person as sister unless you are an orphan though and that stranger is your sister...)

So maybe you should place them.

But there are exceptions too. The same age groups don't need honorifics also people who are just socializing to their specific age group, anyways it's up to you.

Research is still important for those specific things.

BTW:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorifics#Japan
Might be useful.

Hope I helped.
CRxTR

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#67 Post by JinzouTamashii »

I would just put them in. Did any your characters come from Japan? They most certainly will use honorifics. If they were born here, maybe, maybe not.

Wow, that Wikipedia link is very extensive and accurate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_honorifics

LOL, some of these I don't ever see used (Dono?) but the top list is pretty current. Probably one of my favorite ones is -chama/-tama (little miss, mix of chan/sama)
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#68 Post by teacup »

Thanks for your comments, they really help. @_@
JinzouTamashii wrote:Did any your characters come from Japan? They most certainly will use honorifics. If they were born here, maybe, maybe not.
Well yes, even though they have some weird names, they are all from Japan. I would make it located in America, however I know more about Japanese school than American school...
After considering this, and hearing your comments, I will be putting them in. I know it seems like it's not a big deal, but I want my game to be perfect.. xD
I have heard dono used in some anime, but never of shi? o_o I'm so surprised that's on the list of common honorifics.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#69 Post by JinzouTamashii »

-Shi is something you use when writing like I could say 湯飲みし (yunomi/teacupshi) and then say that you crossed the street. Then I could say that し also bought carrots and it would be understood it was you, teacupshi.

It's kind of like "my first point" and then you could keep on saying "the first point" "back to the first point I mentioned... " It's very classy, the kind of thing you would find in school essays and professional writing. Just like I wouldn't type a five-paragraph essay as a casual e-mail, it's not a common thing so I'm not surprised if you don't know it.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#70 Post by sake-bento »

"Dono" and "ue" are pretty old. You'll likely find them in ancient settings (see: Rurouni Kenshin). I occasionally use them IRL, but that's during kendo practice, when we do everything oldschool. And even then, it's rare because students don't really speak that often. >.>

runimina

#71 Post by runimina »

I think it looks really good so far! ^__^
I would love to play it~

I think that for one person, this is a lot of work! No matter what, your effort and determination is very admirable! :o
Hi!
I am an artist looking for projects to work on. ^_^
I can draw female characters and design outfits.

I also hope to make my own little game sometime once I get the hang of Ren Py!

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#72 Post by teacup »

JinzouTamashii--
Ohh... it is used in writing. No wonder I haven't heard of it.
Well that is interesting! I learned something new today.

sake-bento--
Ah okay! I have heard dono before, never ue though. xD

runimina--
Thank you! :]

If anyone cares, I made a new textbox (see attachment). Not too special, but I like it.. ^^

Huh... November is almost over! Wah!? @_@;;
Well then. The demo is going to be a Christmas present. ♥
Attachments
Rui in fantasy land..
Rui in fantasy land..

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#73 Post by azureXtwilight »

:oops:
I'm looking forward for that demo!
:mrgreen:
How long will the game time be? An hour?

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#74 Post by MaiMai »

Ah, I like the UI, very simple and clean. Wish I could take the time to learn some customization for my game, but being the only artist/writer/programmer is hard with school in RL ;3; I REALLY need to try and recruit
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#75 Post by teacup »

azureXtwilight--
Hm. If everything is as planned it will take a little over 2 hour to finish the whole game 100%.
Of course, that is only an estimate.. it could be shorter/longer. And you would have to read as slow as me. :lol:
My want is for it to be three hours... I have the storyline for each route planned out, but as for other events that goes on during the school-life, I don't know yet.

MaiMai--
Thanks! Yeah... it IS hard doing everything yourself, especially during school year.
For me though, I am too picky to have anyone help me. n_n;