That Cheap and Sacred Thing [Complete]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
carosene
Veteran
Completed: That Cheap and Sacred Thing

That Cheap and Sacred Thing [Complete]

#1 Post by carosene »

That Cheap and Sacred Thing
A Kinetic Novel

Synopsis: "Only one person has ever told Autumn Godfrey "I love you." And that person wasn't even human—but Autumn's robotic playmate and babysitter, Elly. Mysteriously, Autumn hasn't seen Elly since Autumn was seven, but now, with the help of Jude—a robotic prostitute with attitude—she might just find out what happened all those years ago."

And you can click here if you want to play it... o.o
CAUSE IT'S COMPLETE!!!
*falls over dead*
Last edited by carosene on Mon May 30, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 46 times in total.
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

Re: [WIP] "That Cheap and Sacred Thing" Recruiting!

#2 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Oh, good, I love futuristic stories. How far into the future is it?
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

drawing_is_fun
Regular
Projects: -None-

#3 Post by drawing_is_fun »

I could just find free use music on the internet, but it would be so much better if it had it's own soundtrack, of course.
you can use vocaloid for this, or any other system generated sound file... :D
The story is set in a futuristic setting, yet it doesn't appear to be very different except for the intrusion of robots. (Who look just like humans.) I was thinking I could get away with the whole "take some photos and edit them so they appear more natural against the 2-D art" route. Though it might be better if I had a real artist who could create a seemingly normal setting but put little futuristic tweaks into it.
a background artist o_O...it seems that everybody is looking for one...
6 Character Sprites (At least two emotions each, some characters will need a lot more than others.)
13 pictures

While I am capable of doing my own line art, my abilities are just barely passable. (As you can see here...) I would rather someone else do the art. So, if someone takes interest, thank you! If not, I'll buckle down and do it. (And if someone else wants to do it, I can help out too!)

I, however, have no coloring skills to speak of. So no matter what, I'm going to need someone else to do the coloring.
what kind of characters should we draw?...a brief description of the characters would be helpful
-- note yourself: "do homework first before anything else" ---

its just the way it is

carosene
Veteran

#4 Post by carosene »

JinzouTamashii wrote:Oh, good, I love futuristic stories. How far into the future is it?
Excellent! :D I didn't pick a specific time, but it's probably within 100 years. The main difference between the society in the story and ours is that robots are commercially accessible to the point most that most families own about one per person. They're not used like computers like say, in Chobits or <3, (which, by the way, was a great game!) rather they're used like body guards, servants, nannies or babysitters. And of course, there's the more interesting ones like prostitutes and lover robots.
drawing_is_fun wrote: you can use vocaloid for this, or any other system generated sound file... :D
For something like Vocaloid, would I have to learn how to write music? (And maybe Japanese? O.o;)
drawing_is_fun wrote: a background artist o_O...it seems that everybody is looking for one...
I'm not surprised... ^-^;;
drawing_is_fun wrote: what kind of characters should we draw?...a brief description of the characters would be helpful
Sure! Do you want a physical description or a general one? I'll just put up both. XD
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

drawing_is_fun
Regular
Projects: -None-

#5 Post by drawing_is_fun »

For something like Vocaloid, would I have to learn how to write music? (And maybe Japanese? O.o;)
there is an english vocaloid2 called Prima,..(but she is good at singing opera type of music), i never got to try Sonika...
in the downloaded version, you need to learn little japanese since most parts are already translated in english
Sure! Do you want a physical description or a general one? I'll just put up both. XD
its your choice :lol: , either one is good
-- note yourself: "do homework first before anything else" ---

its just the way it is

carosene
Veteran

#6 Post by carosene »

Ok, cool. :D Do I have to buy it or is it a free thing? And does it do music, or just voices? I don't think I'll need any voices, except for maybe an opening or an ending song, but that's sort of an optional thing if I get time.

I updated with some profiles! If there's anything else you'd like to know, please tell me. :D
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#7 Post by Aleema »

Oh, wow! Wow-wow! I'm so intrigued by the premise.
You. Must. Finish. This.
:)

carosene
Veteran

#8 Post by carosene »

Wow, thanks so much for the encouragement! :D
I definitely will! :D
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

Rhythmic Ambassador
Projects: Nothing yet, but I'm looking to work on some! Message me if your project needs a writer/proofreader/python scripter/musician :D

#9 Post by Rhythmic Ambassador »

Hi!

Love the idea of this, sounds amazing!

I'd be happy to do colouring for it (I'm amazed to find someone who is looking for a colourist, normally we're scorned as people who artists who wish they could draw :oops:)

I could also have a go at some music if you want (depends on the genre you want etc.)
I play bass,guitar,sax and a little keyboard.

If you were thinking of adding voice to it at all I'd be willing to help with that too!

Again, the project sounds amazing and I hope I can help!

carosene
Veteran

#10 Post by carosene »

YAY!!! You are my hero. :D
Coloring is an amazing art that I do not comprehend. O.O I appreciate you.
Could you show me some examples of your coloring work? :D (You can PM me if you prefer. Or post here. Whatever floats your boat. :))

And I'd love for you to help with music! :D You can contribute as much or as little as you want. :) I don't really have a set idea as far as genre and instruments and stuff, just as long as they're not too different so they jar the listener. I'll have to work out what kind of different tracks I want and the feel each should have.

No, not looking for voice as of now. :) Thanks for volunteering though!

Hopefully it turns out as amazing as it sounds like! :P
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

blueeyes1345
Regular
Projects: Short School Dating Sims Game
Organization: Emyth Zandra

#11 Post by blueeyes1345 »

i don't mind helping out wif the character sprite but i m pretty bad with character design.

Coz all my fren say my character looks the same...

carosene
Veteran

#12 Post by carosene »

I'm hoping for a pretty diverse looking cast, though I'm not sure my characters look very much different from each other either... ^-^;;
May I see some of your art? You can post stuff here or pm me. :D

edit: Do you mean that you're a good artist, it's just that your weakpoint is character design? :o 'Cause I can do the designs.
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

blueeyes1345
Regular
Projects: Short School Dating Sims Game
Organization: Emyth Zandra

#13 Post by blueeyes1345 »

I haven't update my deviantart for awhile though
but most of my lastest work goes to this project.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=5961

Rhythmic Ambassador
Projects: Nothing yet, but I'm looking to work on some! Message me if your project needs a writer/proofreader/python scripter/musician :D

#14 Post by Rhythmic Ambassador »

OK, I have some examples! :3

Bear in mind that these are all fairly old (the newest was around 5 months ago) so I've improved since then, or so I like to think!

An example of very quick colouring with very basic shading:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/k ... 1256636937

A more advanced one, trying out new skin shading techniques:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/k ... 1256636941

Practicing colouring metal and stuff:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/k ... 1256636939

I know they're not great, so if you were looking for something more professional then it's fine! If you want to send me one of your character line-arts as a little test or whatever that would be cool :3

carosene
Veteran

#15 Post by carosene »

You both are quite good! :D You pass round 1! Lol.

Rhythmic Ambassador, I will try to get a test for you, but I won't have access to a scanner until the weekend, so I'll have something for you on Friday or Saturday. :)

Blueeyes, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're just interested in contributing some art to the project, not doing all the line art, right?
If that's the case, then I won't have a test for you until I get (or become) the main line artist, because your goal will be to sync with their art.

And if that's the case, then I'm still on the lookout for artists, so viewers out there, if you want to join up on this project, post something! :wink:
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA