Pseudo-artist willing to lend a hand

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Zanahoria
Regular

Pseudo-artist willing to lend a hand

#1 Post by Zanahoria »

Hi! I've been lurking around this forum for a while... I'm a huge VN fan and I come here practically everyday! :)

The thing is, I've been noticing that some projects appear to be stalled because there are not enough artists. I am no artist, so I can't *promise* a good job, but I would love to help anyway! :)

I am most comfortable doing character design and sprites. I don't think I could possibly do any CG pictures; backgrounds, I could try.

Here's a sample of my work, I did a little something just now to show you the kind of work I can do... I know it isn't colored but it's just a quick sketch, I can add something else later. :)

x__sinister
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi, Grim

Re: Pseudo-artist willing to lend a hand

#2 Post by x__sinister »

I'm currently working on something that you might be interested in. Do you have an email I can contact you with?
A literate roleplaying community.

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#3 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Huh.

Could you post some pictures of characters with different facial structures and body types?
I'd like to see your visual range before I ask for help on this one project.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#4 Post by JinzouTamashii »

How are you a pseudo-artist, exactly? That's what I came here to ask. You can still be an artist and an unpracticed one (I won't say bad or poor because everyone has the capacity to improve.)
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Strum
Veteran

#5 Post by Strum »

For pencil sketches, they aren't bad at all. Too bad I don't have anything for you to do though.

Zanahoria
Regular

#6 Post by Zanahoria »

x__sinister wrote:I'm currently working on something that you might be interested in. Do you have an email I can contact you with?
Sure, I'll send you a private message!

@Tsundere Lightning: Right now I just have time for one project, I'll see if I like what x__sinister's currently working on; otherwise sure, I can quickly sketch something, if you have something in your mind. (unfortunately I don't have a scanner, or a DeviantArt account or something like that, so I can't show you any previous work right now)

@JinzouTamashii: Sorry, english is my 3rd language, so you can expect a lot of misused expressions... ^^' But I'm really no artist, even though I like drawing.

@Strum: Thank you!! =D That means a lot! They are not pencil sketches though, just something I made with my tablet... (I just got the tablet a week ago and I still can't use it all that well so this could be some kind of training!)

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by JinzouTamashii »

You look like a real artist to me, is all I'm saying. I've seen a lot worse.

Here's some concrete help for you. Figure drawing, as well as backgrounds, is what I absolutely love to do so let me give you some tips.

Okay, the main issue is the legs. They are flat, like a couple of tubes with some bends in them. Real legs have curve and definition. You have to learn to see, then think, and finally draw in three dimensions.

Your hands are also slightly small and it doesn't look quite right but you obviously know how to draw a hand.

Another thing: you've chopped off the feet. Don't do that. Can you draw feet? Good: put them in. Can you not draw feet? Don't hide them in shadow or crop at the ankles or have them sunk into the ground or some other lame thing: extend your canvas and attempt it. Just like hands, they must be mastered. This person isn't perfect, but he's getting good and this link is a good start: http://odduckoasis.deviantart.com/art/F ... l-38271036 Just click on the image to expand the tut.

Finally, your proportions are good. You either have a native eye or you used the six head guide (or did it unconsciously) and that's good. She's a little short, so she's probably young and I gave you a youthful adolescent body to work from as a reference. Here are the ratios for proportions:
* The length of the body equals seven and a half head heights She's a little short. That's okay. We don't all want idealized figures and petite is cute.
* The width of the head from ear to ear equals four-fifths of the head length Even in anime, you start with a circle... and then add the length of the chin like a rounded triangle at the bottom.
* The top of the thighbone is located at half the body height (fig 3) How cool is that! Your hip is exactly at the start of head "3"
* The length of the hand equals the width of the head from ear to ear Oops!
* A perfect inverted triangle on the torso can be formed by intersecting the nipples with the belly button (fig 2) Not quite.
Read more: http://visual-arts-education.suite101.c ... z0W5e54XHm

Finally, when I say your center line wobbles, I do not mean an "S" shape but I mean that the building blocks of the torso have not been outlined and grounded firmly. It looks very boxy and flat. Again, we must think in three dimensions.

If you click on the link above, it will tell you more about the basics. I usually use a inverted cup shape for the chest, cylinder for the midsection and neck, and a inverted pyramid for the pelvis when I'm outlining a figure. These are good, solid foundation shapes, instead of using circles, like we would on the joints of limbs. Sometimes I see tutorial writers who do not grasp the basics do everything with circles and I cringe, because it's very shaky for a beginner to learn that way. It's okay for experienced artists but not for someone starting out—it's misleading.

I may rip your work apart, but I'll always tell you how to put it back together. Good luck on your future endeavors!
Attachments
redline2 copy.jpg
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#8 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Zanahoria wrote:@Tsundere Lightning: Right now I just have time for one project, I'll see if I like what x__sinister's currently working on; otherwise sure, I can quickly sketch something, if you have something in your mind. (unfortunately I don't have a scanner, or a DeviantArt account or something like that, so I can't show you any previous work right now)
Sure; the heads of some of the Bliss Stage characters.

Sara - blond, young even by teenager standards, tomboy.

Josh - wavy dark red hair, freckles, Main Character In A Mecha Show.

Meredith - African-American, soft, kind, a little chubby.

Anna - Mature (by teenaged standards), weary, dark sense of humor, Chinese.

Colonel Preston - Middle aged, balding, general beard, unshaven, exhausted, a bit like Gendou (on mood stabilizers).
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

#9 Post by blankd »

If you'd like to seek more employment after you clear out your current work list, I'd suggest including more original designs such as what other genres you are comfortable with (sci-fi, fantasy, steam-punk, etc.) and any other styles if you have those in your skill repertoire; there's almost no such thing as show-casing too much. :D

Oh and maybe you can try practicing some coloring or posting what coloring programs you're proficient at! I hope that helps, and keep up the good work. JinzouTamashii offers some pretty solid help so don't be afraid to accept it!

*I'd offer you help too but JinzouTamashii pretty much nailed the technical aspect of it, I'd try to help you stylistically but I'm probably not the best person to be handing out that kind of advice. 8S

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by JinzouTamashii »

There's obviously plenty of people who would love for you to help, and I hope that you find the confidence in yourself to always improve. You are no pseudo-artist or pseudo-anything.

Zanahoria
Regular

#11 Post by Zanahoria »

Ehe, thank you all. :D

Actually, I've accepted a project already so you'll be learning more from me soon... I hope. :3

Every opinion I've read here has been really useful, especially JinzouTamashii's (thank you!), I hope I'm able to improve from now on. :)

Fastspeedy
Projects: Leave the World Behind

#12 Post by Fastspeedy »

You're still free?