WIP: REcollect

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Aka-kami
Regular
Projects: A long-ish project. Will probably make a WIP thread when it's 50% done.

WIP: REcollect

#1 Post by Aka-kami »

THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN CANCELLED. Reason? Real life stuff. I knew that i never should of started making a game in the middle of Christmas vacation. WELL, we shall all move on eh?

Summary:
A boy awakens without any memories. When he was prompted to state his name, he had decided to call himself zero.
He hears of the "Tale of the Hero", and believes that this story has a connection to his missing memories; and being the persistent person he is, he ventures off to learn of the story's origins.

(extra) Tale of the Hero:
A long time ago, a demon prince had taken over the land, causing chaos and misery. A young man decided to face the demon prince and end the ensuing chaos. He seals away the demon prince, but in the process, end up using himself as the seal. The tale was passed down from generation to generation as a remembrance of the great sacrifice that the man had done to save the world.

I know i suck at writing o3o

pretty much, i don't aim for this game to take too long (probably about 30 minutes to an hour? idk). And romance aspects are not really included.

(some) characters:

1. Zero- A boy who lost all of his memories. (The main character)
Strong willed and compassionate. He goes on a journey tracking down the origins of the "Tale of the Hero" in order to attain his missing memories.

He has a small stature and lacks muscle power. But he's fast.

2. Rei- The descendant of the hero.
A seemingly tired boy.
He was raised in a harsh environment (as his parents ans grandparents alike wanted to make him well know throughout their town as the strongest person).

He uses a bow with magical energy as his arrows. He's the best marksman in their family.

3. Shizuka- The thief for hire.
She's generally quiet, cooldere. She's a renowned thief, even though she's from a rich family.
(no pictures)

Game play:

Changed it... it'll only have one ending. But you'll still have a couple of choices.

I don't plan on recruiting anyone as this project has a high likelihood of being dropped. But I'll take any offered help (mainly on coding). You will be credited of course (if you're gonna ask for money you can just turn around and leave...)

So far i'm working on making the demo for it... which includes the prologue (story sequence, and discovery of the "story of the Hero" arc)

any suggestions or criticism is welcome
Last edited by Aka-kami on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:41 am, edited 9 times in total.
See ya.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

Re: WIP: REcollect

#2 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Sounds good! I like your art so far.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Aka-kami
Regular
Projects: A long-ish project. Will probably make a WIP thread when it's 50% done.

#3 Post by Aka-kami »

JinzouTamashii wrote:Sounds good! I like your art so far.
thank you ;A;
See ya.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by JinzouTamashii »

☆=o(・ω・)

Have a gold star. GJ.

Remember, memory is an overused framing device, try to do something new, like Memento did.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

Aka-kami
Regular

#5 Post by Aka-kami »

JinzouTamashii wrote: Remember, memory is an overused framing device, try to do something new, like Memento did.
I'm afraid I've never heard of Memento...

And also, i don't think i can revise the story anymore as I already planned too far into the story to change anything at this point DD:

I don't really mind if it's unoriginal, as this was planned to be made for my friend (she got all excited when i mentioned the possibility of this becoming a VN.. and sorta threatened me to do it...)

Thanks for the heads up though :D
My next VN will have a more original story(If i ever make another VN)
See ya.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#6 Post by Deji »

Sounds sinteresting and I like your art so far~~

Please work hard and finish it so we can enjoy it :D!
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Aka-kami
Regular

#7 Post by Aka-kami »

Added Rei's original sprite.

God i hate myself right now. I lost the base images for Zero's and Rei's sprites. Now i have to redo both of them *A*

good thing i only made 1 emotion for each (those being the sprites you see on this thread), or else that'd mean i'd have to redo all those emotions... gaah

i wanna die.
See ya.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Minor setback! Start anew!

Haha, cute. I just realized that rememory are what the spheres in SOTP are called, it sounds derivative of REcollect, doesn't it?

Anyway, amnesia and memory problems as plot devices are overused so you need to give a new spin on it or at least do it differently. Drugs, memory erasure, coma, whatever... The Professor and the Housekeeper was an incredibly realistic take on it.

Here's an article on Memento: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_%28film%29

Once you realize the whole thing is done in Byzantine perspective, it makes sense...

Aka-kami
Regular

#9 Post by Aka-kami »

Looky here

It's progressing. Very slowly but still moving forward.

I'll probably be able to release the preview sometime before newyears. I've been having a hard time writing up the story.
JinzouTamashii wrote: amnesia and memory problems as plot devices are overused so you need to give a new spin on it or at least do it differently. Drugs, memory erasure, coma, whatever... The Professor and the Housekeeper was an incredibly realistic take on it.
Haha, well i realized how the story is kinda unique now... i guess.

Well obviously if i explain anything it'll spoil the story.
See ya.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#10 Post by azureXtwilight »

Wow, this game is so unique!
Love the style, and I wanna see Shizuka's face now... XD

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by JinzouTamashii »

That looks so infinitely ace.

I like the white on purple linework.

Lanna
Regular

#12 Post by Lanna »

Haha, I'm watching you on dA and was wondering if you had a topic for your project here... and there it is! :D

It looks great so far, I like the character designs a lot. Especially Rei, he's really cute. <3
I'm definitely looking forward to this!

Aka-kami
Regular

#13 Post by Aka-kami »

Found a co-writer today.

She'll be a great asset to finishing this project.
Lanna wrote:Haha, I'm watching you on dA and was wondering if you had a topic for your project here... and there it is! :D

It looks great so far, I like the character designs a lot. Especially Rei, he's really cute. <3
I'm definitely looking forward to this!
YOU FOUND ME oAo!!!

GASP GASP GASP
See ya.

Aka-kami
Regular

#14 Post by Aka-kami »

here's a look into the game menu.

Not a lot of customization but got what i was aiming for none the less a calming piano piece is playing in the background (courtesy of SAM-free.com)
Attachments
really really plain
really really plain
See ya.

Lanna
Regular

#15 Post by Lanna »

Looks awesome! I like simple layouts, sometimes lots of customization isn't even needed to make it look great.