Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#1 Post by Der Tor »

Edit: I am little confused now, because on the one hand this is the Ideas subforum, but on the other hand I just read again in the rules that it actually needs to be a work in progress, so where do you float ideas then? Anyway, I hope it's okay.

It's just an idea, but I don't know, maybe it's not a bad one.
I must have read 1984 about 5 times now and read all of Eric Arthur Blair's other books as well. So I am probably his biggest fan. That sad - his books are outdated. Not his fault of course, it's to be expected after almost 90 years (depending on which of his books we are talking about).
So I am thinking of making something inspired by 1984, but updating it accordingly. A 2084 if you will. Or actually that's probably too far into the future... so let's say a 2048.

And of course anyone who knows anything about George Orwell or even anything about Science Fiction, knows that both 1984 as well as good Science Fiction in general isn't really Science Fiction at all, in that it's never about the future, but about the present. 1984 was based on things already taking form in 1948 (as well as on Eric's own experiences of fighting for the Communists in the Spanish Civil War). Which is why I say it's outdated, because it's based on things from 1948.

So what would a 2048 look like? Cause it wouldn't be like a 1984 - because that was 1948. Whereas a 2048 would have to be based on the technology and bad tendencies of today.

So anyway, I am just sorta getting the idea out and would like to know what you guy's think. And if a lot of people like the idea maybe we can all pitch together and make it a reality (well, the Visual Novel I mean - not the actual dystopian future)

Black Aki
Deviantart: Beuble or Beubeul

Re: 2084

#2 Post by Black Aki »

It's interesting!

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

Re: 2084

#3 Post by Der Tor »

I making it into a regular novel now. You can find most of the first chapter on my Itch page.