Fate/New Day (Recruitment)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
NuttyButter

Fate/New Day (Recruitment)

#1 Post by NuttyButter »

Fate/New Day is a Dojin soft (fan game) sequel to Fate/Stay Night's Fate scenario. It ignores the events of Fate/Hollow Ataraxia, though from what I understand, those events happen on an alternate time line, so it doesn't really matter.

The events in the game take place 90 years in the future as a war between the descendants of the main Fate/Stay Night characters and some new characters.

This game is still at the planning stages (Though the summoning of Caster is already programmed), so what I need right now are a couple concept artists and story writers/designers. I have already mapped out some basic outlines and am pounding away at the details myself, but I don't think I could write an entire story line, let alone multiple story lines, myself in a reasonable amount of time. I am a programmer myself, with 2 years of college Computer Science classes under my belt, so I don't need much help on that front. However, most of my experience is with C and C++, so an experienced python programmer, preferably with knowledge and experience with Ren'Py (the engine) would be nice. But I can do just fine without one.

I'm shooting for a 4th quarter 2010-1st quarter 2011 release, though earlier would be much nicer.

And because knowledge is power, here is some more information on the project:

Masters:
Emiya Shirou - The great-grandson of the original Emiya Shirou. Successor of the Emiya magic. Has the servant Caster.
Emiya Kuro - Shirou's cousin. Successor of the Tohsaka magic. His servant is Berserker.
Ansgar von Einzbern - Granddaughter of Illyasviel von Einzbern. Her servant is Lancer.
Mato Ayaka - Great-granddaughter of Sakura Mato. Her servant is Saber.
Jake Smith - A rich American magus. Headstrong and a bit of a jerk. His servant is Archer.
??? - An Arab. She grew up under an oppressive father, learning her family magic in secret. When her father found out, she was disowned and left in the dessert to die. Her servant is Rider.
Darnell Olson - An Australian con artist. A master of deception. His servant is Assassin.

Servants:
Saber - William Lamport (Zorro) - While he is wearing his mask, it is impossible to tell what his real identity is
Archer - Robin Hood - His Noble Phantasm is an arrow that never fails to hit the location it was shot at. It's weakness is it can be dodged.
Caster - Tohsaka Rin - Her Noble Phantasm is the Jeweled Sword of Zeltrech
Assasin - Lee Harvey Oswald - A bullet wound from his sniper rifle will always be fatal.
Berserker - Aristodemus - ???
Rider - Queen Aífe - Her chariot can not be stopped by any obstacle.
Lancer - Cu Chulainn - His Noble Phantasm is Gae Blog, as described in Fate/Stay Night.

Dev. Screenshots:
Last edited by NuttyButter on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:22 am, edited 6 times in total.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

Re: Fate/New Day (Recruitment)

#2 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Who wishes to do the Art for this?

It is the unofficial/official sequel to Fate/Stay Night...
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#3 Post by Watercolorheart »

I will gladly help this along. Just let me bookmark this thread. :)
I'm not even the same person anymore

Suzumiyaandy
Regular

#4 Post by Suzumiyaandy »

This looks really interesting. :D
But, It looks like you put the sprites in without making them transparent.
If you run the images through the .png converter in AnimED, it should solve that problem.

~Julia~
Regular

#5 Post by ~Julia~ »

This sounds very interesting and I would love to help out with the writting/design! Needless to say I'm a huge Fate and Type-Moon fan and helping you with your project would give me some creditiblity aswell. I do hope you'll consider me for the position as there are some design choices I'd like to discuss.

But either way you're off to an awesome start!
[UNDER CONSTRUCTION]

NuttyButter

#6 Post by NuttyButter »

Suzumiyaandy wrote:This looks really interesting. :D
But, It looks like you put the sprites in without making them transparent.
If you run the images through the .png converter in AnimED, it should solve that problem.
The are already .png files. I do realize the visible background problem. I just haven't wanted to open the beast that is Photoshop CS3 to fix the background for Rin. As for the priest, that's just placeholder art, so putting in transparency there wasn't necessary. Obviously the background will be fixed for Rin and the final art for the priest will have a transparent background.

Kuro Creator
Projects: Kuro's Life

#7 Post by Kuro Creator »

Nice project you made! I love Fate Stay Night!
But, if Tohsaka Rin is the Servant Caster, you've to make her looks more.... Uhm, older and wisdom.
Can you set the picture of each Character?

Thanks
I'm seeking for Experience and Knowledge

NuttyButter

#8 Post by NuttyButter »

~Julia~ wrote:This sounds very interesting and I would love to help out with the writting/design! Needless to say I'm a huge Fate and Type-Moon fan and helping you with your project would give me some creditiblity aswell. I do hope you'll consider me for the position as there are some design choices I'd like to discuss.

But either way you're off to an awesome start!
The work you've done on your Devil Gene R website is definitely high quality. If all your work was of that quality, you would be of value to any team. Of course I'll wait a while for other responses before accepting you to the team, but you have a good chance. I'd love to hear your input on design even if you aren't on the team, though.
Kuro Creator wrote:Nice project you made! I love Fate Stay Night!
But, if Tohsaka Rin is the Servant Caster, you've to make her looks more.... Uhm, older and wisdom.
Can you set the picture of each Character?

Thanks
Rin would probably be older, yes. But I'm not an artist, so I'm just using the images that were in Fate/Stay Night atm. That is also why I haven't set the image of each character, I simply don't have any drawn. I need a concept artist before I can do that.

Ramidel
Regular

#9 Post by Ramidel »

You forgot to mention who the new Saber is...

Also, is there going to be a subplot regarding the Assassin servant getting screwed up again, since Lee Harvey Oswald isn't one of the Assassins? Or is that rule being ignored?

NuttyButter

#10 Post by NuttyButter »

Ramidel wrote:You forgot to mention who the new Saber is...

Also, is there going to be a subplot regarding the Assassin servant getting screwed up again, since Lee Harvey Oswald isn't one of the Assassins? Or is that rule being ignored?
Added Saber. Thanks for letting me know.

Regarding Assassin, while an interesting idea, no. For one, that was used in Heaven's Feel, and I would hate to have to resort to a subplot being reused. For another, it's been pretty much confirmed that JFK's assassin was indeed Oswald. All most all of the discrepancies that conspiracy theorists point out have been accounted for.
Last edited by NuttyButter on Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Julia~
Regular

#11 Post by ~Julia~ »

NuttyButter wrote: The work you've done on your Devil Gene R website is definitely high quality. If all your work was of that quality, you would be of value to any team. Of course I'll wait a while for other responses before accepting you to the team, but you have a good chance. I'd love to hear your input on design even if you aren't on the team, though.
First let me say thank you for praising my work, I hope that once I resume development on it next year that things will go smoothly.

Next let me discuss some of the design choices:
- On the case of the new "Shirou Emiya" I have to ask why you chose to make one of your protagonist share the same name with his predecessor? Are you trying to create a 2nd Shirou? Do you plan on having this character resemble the original? I ask this because these are usually the ideas that go into making "another" generation of the same character. If you had plan on making this Shirou unlike his ancestor I believe it would be in better interest to rename him, as even the fan base will be expecting 2nd Shrou if they share names and especially likeness.

- It appears you are trying to make the cast (Master side) a bit more international, I like this idea but I was wondering if there was any kind of point story/gameplay related? Of course here's no problem if there isn't I just thought I'd ask. Also what made you go with this approach?

- Muhammad Baghdadi; I know you said this is your least developed character but the name just kind of bugs me...not that it's bad it's just awfully generic... If this character isn't too important in the grand scheme of things I suppose it's alright.

- Berserker/Caesar, this combination just seems a bit odd... especially considering his skill involves rational thinking, when thinking of a Berserker usually a physically strong or battle thirsty man comes to mind, but this could work as well.

- These last two are really just nit-picky things because of the type of person I am so don’t take them too seriously ^^ @ Lancer, what? He gets another shot :/ I feel like the other previous servants are getting the shaft to favoritism. @ cast in general wahh not enough (strong) women; give me my Rider, Luvia, and Bazett hehe
[UNDER CONSTRUCTION]

NuttyButter

#12 Post by NuttyButter »

~Julia~ wrote:
NuttyButter wrote: The work you've done on your Devil Gene R website is definitely high quality. If all your work was of that quality, you would be of value to any team. Of course I'll wait a while for other responses before accepting you to the team, but you have a good chance. I'd love to hear your input on design even if you aren't on the team, though.
First let me say thank you for praising my work, I hope that once I resume development on it next year that things will go smoothly.

Next let me discuss some of the design choices:
- On the case of the new "Shirou Emiya" I have to ask why you chose to make one of your protagonist share the same name with his predecessor? Are you trying to create a 2nd Shirou? Do you plan on having this character resemble the original? I ask this because these are usually the ideas that go into making "another" generation of the same character. If you had plan on making this Shirou unlike his ancestor I believe it would be in better interest to rename him, as even the fan base will be expecting 2nd Shrou if they share names and especially likeness.
They will share similar traits, but don't expect them to be exactly the same. For the purposes of explanation, the new Shirou will be referred to as just Shirou while the old one will be referred to as Shirou' (Shriou prime). There are some key differences, the main one being Shirou doesn't want to be a superhero and he willingly entered the Holy Grail War. He and his cousin have been fighting since the day they became apprentices. Kuro believes that the magic shouldn't have been split in his father's generation and believes he is the rightful heir to both the Emiya and Tohsaka magic. It also doesn't help that they like the same girl, who happens to be another master in this war, Ayaka. However, this competition is mainly fueled by Kuro, and Shirou just wants his family to get along, that is what he is fighting for.

However, the priest did neglect to tell him about the strategy of killing Masters. If that fact had come up, I'm sure Shirou would not want any part in it, like Shirou'. However, much like Shirou', he believes the best way to prevent the killings, is to stay in the war and kill the servants himself, and the spare the masters.
~Julia~ wrote:- It appears you are trying to make the cast (Master side) a bit more international, I like this idea but I was wondering if there was any kind of point story/gameplay related? Of course here's no problem if there isn't I just thought I'd ask. Also what made you go with this approach?
I always thought the Holy Grail War would attract people from around the world, and we see that it previously did. Obviously there's the Einzbern family, probably from Russia. Then there was Kiritsugu, and it's implied he was a foreigner. The Mato family was originally foreign. Of course these new foreign masers don't know what the true purpose of the Holy Grail War is. And it will, of course affect the story. The characters themselves will be different from what they would be like if they were Japanese, and that alone would affect the story. To what degree it will affect the story, I'm not sure.
~Julia~ wrote:- Muhammad Baghdadi; I know you said this is your least developed character but the name just kind of bugs me...not that it's bad it's just awfully generic... If this character isn't too important in the grand scheme of things I suppose it's alright.
I currently have no real plans for him, hence why I haven't developed him all that much. I'm very bad at naming, and so I tend to give certain characters some what common names. If you have a better suggestion for an arab name, I'm open to changing it.
~Julia~ wrote:- Berserker/Caesar, this combination just seems a bit odd... especially considering his skill involves rational thinking, when thinking of a Berserker usually a physically strong or battle thirsty man comes to mind, but this could work as well.
Read up a little on Caesar. He was a very battle thirsty and some what crazy man by the end of his tirade. And he was no pushover when it came to physical strength. I do admit he was also a very strategic thinking man, which made it hard to put him in the Berserker class. However, from what I understand, in Fate/Stay Night Hercules became a... while berserker, not because of his lifetime but because he was summoned in that class. The heroic spirit has to be compatible with the Berserker class, but I don't think the hero had to be a berserker in their time.
~Julia~ wrote:- These last two are really just nit-picky things because of the type of person I am so don’t take them too seriously ^^ @ Lancer, what? He gets another shot :/ I feel like the other previous servants are getting the shaft to favoritism. @ cast in general wahh not enough (strong) women; give me my Rider, Luvia, and Bazett hehe
Actually my favorite servant from Fate/Stay Night is Saber, followed by Caster. Rider and Archer are also high on the list. Lancer falls near the bottom. However the likely hood of a Lancer re-occurring is higher than any of the servants, if you look a the limited amount of heros who have been lancers. The lance was quite popular in Napoleon's time and at other various points throughout history, but only a few people became famous through using it. Besides I have subplot I'm planning on that explains why that Lancer was chosen again, and it does have to deal with him being in the previous war.

As for the women, yes I do realize that. I know the choices seem very sexist. But through out history, heros have been predominately male, mainly because until recently, women have been forbidden to fight in most cultures. Don't worry though, the females I have will all be strong enough to make up for it. And I don't see the lack of female cast members being too much of a problem, cause I don't plan on there being any H-scenes. Makes it too hard to distribute. Of course, if there's a big outcry for H-scenes...

Thank you so much for your input. I know it sounds like I'm defending my choices here, but in truth, most of these questions are ones I thought of when I was choosing the cast myself. Which is actually a good thing, means you think a lot like I do.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#13 Post by LVUER »

If we need another (real) female hero, we always have Mulan. One of the rare case since she reigns in time when female is prohibited in military. Of course in the real story, there is no dragon to aid her ^_^

risingdreams
Regular

#14 Post by risingdreams »

There's also Tomoe Gozen... But I like Mulan better.
icon from x_dirge_icons@LJ

υπηρέτης

#15 Post by υπηρέτης »

We have seen the anime f/sn, and are playing the game... nao. We can learn Python soon. Then Ren'Py. Probably not in time for helping this project much, though. However... we could probably write if needed. Let us know if we may be of use. This project seems interesting.