[Dead] Consuming Flesh - Zombie Apocalypse Sim

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
exHominem
Projects: Consuming Flesh

[Dead] Consuming Flesh - Zombie Apocalypse Sim

#1 Post by exHominem »

This project is currently dead. Thanks for testing!

EDITS
New Link: http://consumingflesh.blogspot.com/search/label/patch

Eye-Catchers!
Zombies!
Based on the world of World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide!
Simulation!
Strategy!

...do I have your attention yet?

Plot Summary
“They were burning bodies in the quad. I could smell it. A bit like barbeque, almost, though more sickly sweet.”

So begins “Consuming Flesh,” a zombie apocalypse simulator currently under development. You are a college student who, either through luck, ingenuity, sheer willpower, or a combination of the three somehow managed to organize an entire university to repel the zombie hordes in the midst of the zombie apocalypse. Your goals are simple. Stay Ready. Stay Alert. Stay Alive.

Screenies!

Implemented Features
- A VN style introduction to the world
- RPG style character generation
- Sophisticated text-based simulator of the zombie apocalypse

Future Features
- Epic plot of zombies, love, war, survival, and more zombies
- Objective-based gameplay
- VN style cutscenes

Tech Stuff
This game uses arrays and object oriented programming, as well as custom interfaces. Hope that piques some interest.

About the Prototype
-Relatively short, though could reasonably take a long time to lose
-Impossible to 'win' per se (sorry)
-Horribly unbalanced (again, sorry)
-Poorly commented code (double sorry)
-Should work solidly
-Features art, music, story
-Features a working and hopefully helpful readme.
-EDIT: Now contains level up system!

What It Needs
- Playtesters (did I mention how HORRIBLY UNBALANCED it is!?)
- Coders (more of a maybe. I should be able to hammer out most of the issues myself, but many hands makes light work)
- Official Artist (Ah, the eternal quest!)
- Comments
- Critiques
- Suggestions

In the way of suggestions, I'm particularly looking for ideas on how people think the plot should progress, objectives for the player to complete, etc.

The prototype for all OS's can be found here: http://consumingflesh.blogspot.com/search/label/patch

Enjoy, and please comment!
Last edited by exHominem on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Consuming Flesh - An epic story of war, zombies, survival, love, and more zombies.

Thee Forsaken One
Regular
Completed: RE: Alistair++; Backstage Pass; Three Guys That Paint; The Reject Demon Toko - Ch 0; The Menagerie
Projects: Winning Hearts; Astral Hours
Organization: Forsaken Productions
Tumblr: ForsakenProductions
Deviantart: TheeForsakenOne

Re: [WIP] Consuming Flesh - A Zombie Apocalypse Simulator!

#2 Post by Thee Forsaken One »

I'll give it a play tomorrow and let you know my thoughts.

AllegroDiRossi
Regular
Tumblr: daroross
Deviantart: daroross

#3 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

You've caught my interest! =D
I will also check this out tomorrow, but I need to sleeeeep now,
so the zombie hordes will have to wait until then. =P
Live Life Heroically

Chimerical

#4 Post by Chimerical »

I am horribly obsessed with zombies. Definitely caught my interest.
I'll give it a whirl and offer my comments soon.

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Showsni »

The mediafire link just redirects me to a page with a url saying error...

AllegroDiRossi
Regular
Tumblr: daroross
Deviantart: daroross

#6 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

I went to download the game, but I saw that MediaFire was doing system maintenance earlier today,
so that's probably why the link is broken.

I'm going to check back later tonight or tomorrow, and it should be back by then.
Live Life Heroically

Thee Forsaken One
Regular
Completed: RE: Alistair++; Backstage Pass; Three Guys That Paint; The Reject Demon Toko - Ch 0; The Menagerie
Projects: Winning Hearts; Astral Hours
Organization: Forsaken Productions
Tumblr: ForsakenProductions
Deviantart: TheeForsakenOne

#7 Post by Thee Forsaken One »

When I tried to go to Day 3 I got this error:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

ValueError: list.index(x): x not in list

While running game code:
 - script at line 119 of C:\Users\Erik\Desktop\renpy-6.10.0\zombie sim/game/event_engine.rpy
 - python at line 119 of C:\Users\Erik\Desktop\renpy-6.10.0\zombie sim/game/event_engine.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Downloads\consuming flesh-0.1.0-all\consuming flesh-0.1.0-all\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 260, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Users\Erik\Downloads\!Misc\renpy-6.10.0\renpy\main.py", line 308, in main
  File "C:\Users\Erik\Downloads\!Misc\renpy-6.10.0\renpy\main.py", line 92, in run
  File "C:\Downloads\consuming flesh-0.1.0-all\consuming flesh-0.1.0-all\renpy\execution.py", line 230, in run
  File "C:\Users\Erik\Downloads\!Misc\renpy-6.10.0\renpy\ast.py", line 557, in execute
  File "C:\Users\Erik\Downloads\!Misc\renpy-6.10.0\renpy\python.py", line 927, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "C:\Users\Erik\Desktop\renpy-6.10.0\zombie sim/game/event_engine.rpy", line 119, in <module>

While running game code:
 - script at line 119 of C:\Users\Erik\Desktop\renpy-6.10.0\zombie sim/game/event_engine.rpy
 - python at line 119 of C:\Users\Erik\Desktop\renpy-6.10.0\zombie sim/game/event_engine.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.10.0e
Something similar happened before when I tried to assign Hsu to do First Aid on day 1 my first playthrough. I'm guessing that I must be going out of the bounds of the list. At least that's what I would guess from the traceback since I haven't looked at the code in question.

exHominem

#8 Post by exHominem »

Thee Forsaken One wrote:When I tried to go to Day 3 I got this error:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Downloads\consuming flesh-0.1.0-all\consuming flesh-0.1.0-all\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 260, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Users\Erik\Downloads\!Misc\renpy-6.10.0\renpy\main.py", line 308, in main
  File "C:\Users\Erik\Downloads\!Misc\renpy-6.10.0\renpy\main.py", line 92, in run
  File "C:\Downloads\consuming flesh-0.1.0-all\consuming flesh-0.1.0-all\renpy\execution.py", line 230, in run
  File "C:\Users\Erik\Downloads\!Misc\renpy-6.10.0\renpy\ast.py", line 557, in execute
  File "C:\Users\Erik\Downloads\!Misc\renpy-6.10.0\renpy\python.py", line 927, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "C:\Users\Erik\Desktop\renpy-6.10.0\zombie sim/game/event_engine.rpy", line 119, in <module>

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.10.0e
Something similar happened before when I tried to assign Hsu to do First Aid on day 1 my first playthrough. I'm guessing that I must be going out of the bounds of the list. At least that's what I would guess from the traceback since I haven't looked at the code in question.
Dammit! Thanks for the error report. I'll get right on it.
Consuming Flesh - An epic story of war, zombies, survival, love, and more zombies.

Animality

Re: [WIP] Consuming Flesh - Zombie Apocalypse Sim - NEW RELEASE

#9 Post by Animality »

Sounds like it might be fun!
"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity."

Strum
Veteran

#10 Post by Strum »

The links to both screenshots is broken. Any chance you can reupload or just add them to your post as an attachment?

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#11 Post by F.I.A »

Attached is an error I get from running the game, so do fix it.

Also, you can always just attach a new rpyc files for minor updates so those with the older versions will not need to download the whole game again.

While I enjoy the main character customizing ala Fallout, I am not fond that I need to choose the other 4 as well. Having too many choices will boggle the player's mind, thus I suggest giving the player only one for each job at the beginning.

If there is anything to fix, have the First Aid heal some Morale other than just Health. At the moment, I can see the Morale playing a large role, that having 50 or lower Morale is bad news and the only way to gain them is by Rest. Not to mention the EMTs tend to be freeloaders who cannot do any other thing right.

Also, make Scavenge less rigged. At the moment, there is only one who can Scavenge(20 foods for 20 Morale) while the other tends to have lower than 10 and 0s are not uncommon either. It just does not even out the food intake(20+) per day, so give a Scavenge attempt at least a bare minimum gain(5s sounds reasonable).
Attachments
traceback.txt
Traceback.txt
(1.67 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Last edited by F.I.A on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

exHominem

#12 Post by exHominem »

F.I.A wrote:Attached is an error I get from running the game, so do fix it.

Also, you can always just attach a new rpyc files for minor updates so those with the older versions will not need to download the whole game again.

While I enjoy the main character customizing ala Fallout, I am not fond that I need to choose the other 4 as well. Having too many choices will boggle the player's mind, thus I suggest giving the player only one for each job for start.

If there is anything to fix, have the First Aid heal some Morale other than just Health. At the moment, I can see the Morale playing a large role, that having 50 or lower Morale is bad news and the only way to gain them is by Rest. Not to mention the EMTs tend to be freeloaders who cannot do any other thing right.

Also, make Scavenge less rigged. At the moment, there is only one who can Scavenge(20 foods for 20 Morale) while the other tends to have lower than 10 and 0s are not uncommon either. It just does not even out the food intake(20+) per day, so give a Scavenge attempt at least a bare minimum gain(5s sounds reasonable).
Thanks for the error report, I added a patch in the same format that you suggested. Hopefully it fixes that game-breaker.

Also, I'm not sure what your suggesting, that I only let them start with one character, or that I pre-assign them lieutenants?

I was thinking about giving first-aid a morale fix as well, or a separate action that only heals morale. Look for it in an upcoming patch. But thanks for confirming what I thought. We can't have the medic's being useless!

Thanks for the tip on the scavenging as well. I think I will up it, and was considering making it more like first aid (i.e. you can only gather one, or maybe two resources at a time) what do you think of that?

Again, thanks for playing, and especially thanks for all the useful feedback!

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by F.I.A »

exHominem wrote:Also, I'm not sure what your suggesting, that I only let them start with one character, or that I pre-assign them lieutenants?
With a pre-assigned team, yes. But you are free to decide on this.
I was thinking about giving first-aid a morale fix as well, or a separate action that only heals morale. Look for it in an upcoming patch. But thanks for confirming what I thought. We can't have the medic's being useless!
Either adding Morale to First Aid, or have another action called Pain Killer for example for the purpose of healing Morale.
Thanks for the tip on the scavenging as well. I think I will up it, and was considering making it more like first aid (i.e. you can only gather one, or maybe two resources at a time) what do you think of that?
That seems like a good idea. I believe web-based like Urban Dead allows the player to choose the items to search as well.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard

exHominem

#14 Post by exHominem »

F.I.A wrote:
exHominem wrote:Also, I'm not sure what your suggesting, that I only let them start with one character, or that I pre-assign them lieutenants?
With a pre-assigned team, yes. But you are free to decide on this.
Hm, you make a good point about 'overloading' the player. I think I'll give the player the option of having Dr. Lum pick the team for them.

Either adding Morale to First Aid, or have another action called Pain Killer for example for the purpose of healing Morale.
I added a new action in the latest patch, called 'Support' which fufills this function. Though I do like the "Pain Killer" name.
That seems like a good idea. I believe web-based like Urban Dead allows the player to choose the items to search as well.
I went ahead and included this in the latest release as well.

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: [WIP] [Recruiting] Consuming Flesh - Zombie Apocalypse Sim

#15 Post by F.I.A »

The game breaks at the moment when choosing pre-existing character. Even if I choose to customize, the game stops at the command menu screen. From what I can tell from the tracebacks, you added a few more stats(Eg: Organization and Speech), but the game doesn't recognize them.
traceback.txt
Traceback1 - Pre-existing characters
(2.16 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
traceback2.txt
Traceback2 - Command menu
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard