Lost Girl in Dark Forest [GxB][Subversive Otomegame][Dark Fairytale][Psychological]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
AmityAngel
Completed: Ethereal Abyss
Projects: Lost Girl in Dark Forest
Organization: AngelQuarts
Deviantart: angelquarts
Discord: Zara#9245

Lost Girl in Dark Forest [GxB][Subversive Otomegame][Dark Fairytale][Psychological]

#1 Post by AmityAngel »

Promo artwork & current main menu art, by me. High-res version: https://i.imgur.com/6fZfkOP.jpg

Small sample of the planned OST:
all music is copyright free material from Amacha Music and H/MIX Gallery. Theme song is royalty-free from Souichi Sakagami

A Beauty and the Beast dark fairytale-like story, with a unique twist.

[Edit: I don't think I described my idea very well, and I included too many spoilers, so I'm erasing it for now and will make another post when I have more to show off of the game. 8) ]

Some Commissions of Freya:
Image Image Image

★★★☽★★★☽★★★☽★★★☽★★★☽★★★☽★★★☽★★★☽★★★☽★★★☽★★★☽★★★☽★★★

The vibe & setting of this story is inspired by dark fairytales, though it has a pretty strange and (I think) unique twist.
It might be a bit misleading to compare the plot to Beauty and the Beast, but it was the best comparison I could think of to introduce it. 😅
Rather than a beautiful girl falling in love with a guy who has a monstrous appearance... imagine if Beauty and Beast were two fractured parts of the same person.
I don’t often see stories where self-love/acceptance is the true message - the closest thing I can think of is the indie platformer game Celeste, which also inspired me. Though, more than anything, this is a story based on my own personal experiences with self-rejection, failed romances, and the struggles of BPD.
One idea of this story is to explore how romantic love can be twisted and used as a temptation to run away from facing issues within yourself.
It won’t be a visual novel for everyone due to the darker themes and odd twist. But I don’t see stories like this really being made (if you know one, please tell me!) and I figure there must be others out there who might relate to its themes, or simply enjoy it as a strange fairytale.

The original plan for this story was to make it a metroidvania-style game... and then I looked into how hard it is to make one and went "lol, nope" as someone with no coding, animation, or pixel art experience. 🤣 It's very story-heavy, so it's probably better as a VN anyway.

If a story like this sounds interesting to you, feel free to follow my Twitter where I'll post updates.
Last edited by AmityAngel on Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Lost Girl in Dark Forest [GxB][Dark Fairytale][Psychological]

#2 Post by Zelan »

I really like this idea. You're right that visual novels focused on self-acceptance outside of romance are pretty uncommon, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this. (: