VRVN DEV Toolkit Devblog [NSFW][Adventure][Supernatural][Horror]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
AstraAnime
itch: PlayArcadea

VRVN DEV Toolkit Devblog [NSFW][Adventure][Supernatural][Horror]

#1 Post by AstraAnime »

Introduction

This may be a series of project that follow. Ultimately I want to be transparent with all of my development process, for one thing I am not confident enough to keep a routine straight enough to consistently output work that I feel is of a presentable quality. That isn't going to stop me here. I know I have high standards for aesthetic, and a large part of my mission as a game developer and an artist, and learning also to write and make my own music IS establishing the groundworks for the aesthetic influences that keep my creative juices flowing. (AND HOPEFULLY OTHERS)

World

The space im thinking of would be in a destroyed settlement or city, there's a caved in wall, and you are like the observer, you see a girl in the building more-or-less starving and you give her food or something like that, she seems lonely so you go out and find machinery to conjure up a robot that can keep her company as you learn about the destruction and the creatures that come in the night.

Story

Code: Select all

I’m drifting as if the simple passage of time has no meaning, alone in the park, walking the path of least resistance, amongst the trees shedding colored leaves as autumn approaches.

Upon hearing the crackling of thunder beneath my feet, the world turns upside-down.

I felt my hair stand up, the feeling of falling sweeps through me like a jolt of electricity.

But I wasn't falling down. I am falling up.

I was a fruit looking for the grass beneath my feet, thrashing, confused, but only an endless empty sky curled around above where I was just rooted by gravity in the park, by the bench on the ground lit by a flickering lamp light, I wondered deeply what was happening to me, was it real or am I dreaming? A cloud hangs over me. My feet dangling towards the moon, feeling it's pull.

The cold moisture in the air trickled under my clothes and I shivered.

One moment, two, fifteen, twenty-five, the distance between me and the planet grew further and eventually more alien.

My given name is Rena.

My new name is

Astra--The Last Astra.

A new leaf.

This body given to me is completely magical. I can do things like never before.

Design Philosophy

(A) FAIL FASTER
I know, I know, you hear this all the time. But as is my mission to reach a higher quality and aesthetic, I've spent 16 years since I started making games flailing about and never really being satisfied with the results. I am not talented, I started my journey as a teenager, feeling on top of the world, that I was special, thinking that I am going to get ahead and be better than my peers, but at a certain point in my life I began trailing behind. As much as I wanted to be an ADULT, I never became one, not really. So I tell you now, just keep failing and I am going to explain my process so that you'll know every step how I fail along my journey.

(B) Forgive yourself
We got to get back up and keep trying. Enjoy the process, don't do things that you think are a chore or you don't enjoy doing, this is something that I struggle with a lot often feeling overwhelmed and that I need to do every aspect of game development by myself. I have trust issues to be honest, and the biggest monster is myself.

(C) Divide up your workflow and be consistent
So I am sleep deprived right now as I'm writing this, but something to recognise is our ability to make time for the things that need to get done, not because we have to but because we want to. You owe it to yourself to succeed and find success. You've got to start somewhere, and to do that you need to take responsibility for the things and people that you love, whether that's fictional characters or real people.

(D) Personalise EVERYTHING!
Do it your way, learn from those you appreciate and surround yourself with like-minded individuals. On that note, stop wasting your life on those that don't deserve you!

What is this really about?

Ok, so I write a lot but right now, as of this moment, I've got writer's block (That's right, you think it's not real? Well screw off!),I can't write - or my writing isn't good enough. Actually, I want to write for games, books, animations, characters and even dungeons and dragons! That's sort of the "core" to the problem, I start a project and I never get anywhere with it. 2 weeks ago I started working on some music using midi software, playing a little bit of keyboard, last week I was able to start drawing again consistently (which was difficult due to an injury, finally!) which I'm starting to enjoy it, this week it's all about learning about vr and vrchat, hoping to make a game for a gamejam which is 10 days long and now have only about 5 days left. Nothing is ever finished, and NOTHING is on time. So these are all things I want to address and hopefully build some confidence so that if YOU need my services, I **CAN** help you.

Do I do commissions?

Yes, I have been in a long hiatus but things have been steadily improving (albeit financially), although my website portfolio is down for maintenance until further notice. Kindly reach out to me and I would love to be involved! My Twitter and Discord is my first point of contact.

How far does my experience get me?

I Want to Learn From the Best - If you know anyone, anyone at all please put me in touch with them, I am too shy to put anyone on the spot but I hope some others will happily be my mentor and show me the ropes of the industry they work in. I can do a lot of things and the majority of my time is studying characters, drawing and 3D modelling for animation and games but I am very technical as well. I have made a bunch of small prototypes in the past and have a vast (amateur-level) experience in every area of games development including making my own vns!

The Hunt for English Voice Actors

I am looking for voice actors to help bring my characters to life. Oh, I will say that RWBY is a great example, even if some of the voice lines are fast, and kind of comical so it might not completely fit, but I would like to look at trying to have 3 different voice actors at most that can attempt different voices, if that is possible? haha.

The VRVN Dev Toolkit

As mentioned in the title of this thread (AND DISCUSSION, please discuss) I am creating visual novel adventure experiences for VR, this will showcase how I go about creating models and scenes in Blender, showcasing the story and narrative design, providing builds for the game and delivering bite-sized experiences with animations and interactivity. They will be playable in both VR and controller by default, but designed specifically for VR and creating emersive spaces.

The engine we are using is Unity (anyone want to help on the programming and design, we can also try your ideas out too!) I am looking at creating a lot of minigames, including adventure game point-and click puzzle solving, choose-your-own-adventure, RPG and SHMUP until I land on something that really sticks and matches the story we are trying to create (AND aesthetic). But we don't stop there, I will be making everything freely available to use in VR Chat if it is compatible, or can use the games codebase and build off it for commercial games, but not the art as this will be used for intended purposes to provide unique and interesting stories, and requires a lot of time so be respectful how you use it! But I will not chase you for it.

I'm looking forward to all of your feedback and all of your support and discussion! Thanks! Stay tuned in. ヾ(≧▽≦*)o

---

Contact Information:

DM, Follow, Friend, or Email me!! I'm looking to learn from you guys! Thanks.

Twitter: @AstraAnime
Discord: Astra#1739
Astra's Discord Server: https://t.co/o3Z5uy3rcZ
Email: daniel @ sableproduction.com
github: github.com/SableProduction
fiverr.com/virtualcast
Ko-fi.com/AstraAnime

---

All repositories will be found on Github here, and you will see these get added to and updated as regularly as I can possibly work on it.

Resources: https://github.com/PlayArcadea

---

AstraAnime

Re: VRVN DEV Toolkit Devblog [NSFW][Adventure][Supernatural][Horror]

#2 Post by AstraAnime »

Retrospective

Sadly it's been a couple weeks of bliss, not really making much progress on the game development side of things and often distracted by a side project or two that hasn't yet born any fruit.

I have started a devblog on the RenPy forums to focus on development for a VRVN toolkit for building virtual reality adventure game experiences. (Join me on the discord listed in the previous post).

The GameDev.tv gamejam theme consists of "The beginning is the end", inline with that theme I had hoped to do a bit of VR development but have instead spent much of that time on learning about VR and setting up the VR headset. Longer than it should have taken, but during that period I've also improved at drawing and reached out to a number of people in order to grow the community.

There are things that we "plan" and that we "do", majority of our plans don't go accordingly, however with proper accountability in place we can more accuractly guestimate the initial direction and how that should pan out.

Progress on the Gamejam

Although there is no way I will have a finished prototype in time for the gamejam closing, with two days we can make some compromises and come up with something engaging.

Death Game Concept

For the narrative of the game I want it to involve some sort of phone that comes up with the message "Do you wish to die?" quite literally with a yes or no button on the app, when you press no you see a pop up banner to buy some gems for a game called fantasy raid with 90% off. You have a small window to navigate and get to know the interface which includes an eye icon that shows the app that installed itself, Erive Messenger, Fantasy Raid which gives you the option to uninstall and that's it. There is also a dialogue prompt that displays the characters inner thoughts.

In class you take out your phone and you can see messages from friends. The next time you look at your phone an anonymous caller texts you "Press yes". Each message you reply with advances a bit of story with that person but nothing more. Actually early prototypes won't even allow this interactivity so. Maybe it will get an update.

Rena Tsumugi opens up the app for the last time and presses yes, someone in the class room walks up to her with a gun in hand and shoots her between the eyes.

When she dies, she discovers she can reset time with the app, but as events transfold the eerie classroom goes through a series of miscalculated circumstances which end up leading to someone in the class dying, this can only be circumvented by deliberately allowing things to happen so that the culprit makes a mistake and leaves clues for you to find.

After a while the anonymous caller sends you a text to remind you that you've repeated your death 38 times and that it's about time you start figuring things out and installs another app on your phone that allows you to link events that have happened in previous timelines.

What happens next?

The plan is to have a routine schedule and a structure each day, and to post regular updates every 2-3 days, or things I've experimented with to showcase on this Devblog.

I will update on what happens with the current gamejam and my thoughts on how it went, which ends on May 30th 2022 at 11:00 PM UST.

AstraAnime

Re: VRVN DEV Toolkit Devblog [NSFW][Adventure][Supernatural][Horror]

#3 Post by AstraAnime »

I'm having trouble with making something for the gamedev.tv jam purely for the simple fact that I can't use bought assets and that I want to make everything myself. Because of this I've had to downscale the design and I'm running out of time.

Perhaps instead of worrying about this gamejam, I'll start working on something for the next jam that'll be more manageable in scope while also trying to make it a VR game, I've wrote up the design and made an Itch page and I'm fairly confident I can use assets to match the design and scope of the game with a little more time to actually make something I feel confident about.

The Itch page can be found here: https://playarcadea.itch.io/denpa-princess-succubus