Why We Never Reached The Moon [Adventure][KN]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Gunfights-

Why We Never Reached The Moon [Adventure][KN]

#1 Post by Gunfights- »

A treasure is equal parts journey and destination. A destination without a journey is worthless. A journey without a destination is pointless.

Synopsis:
200 years ago, an archaeology journal shook the foundations of the world. It described Lemuria, an ancient lost city above the dense layer of fog enveloping the Earth- holding a treasure beyond mankind's wildest imagination.
This kick-started a golden age of exploration. But, the greatest generation of adventurers came back empty handed- if they did at all. The legend was labeled as a fabrication, and its writer was hanged.
Long after the twilight of this once-great age, a robot undertakes a journey to find the lost city. He seeks to fulfill promises to 2 dear friends and find absolution for extinguishing the last light of hope in the world.
A dark but heartfelt character-driven story about adventure, uncovering the intricately woven mysteries of the world, and coming to terms with oneself.

Why should I care?
-Realistic, multi-layered, and endearing characters with complex character arcs
-Original and immersive worldbuilding intricately integrated with a fast-paced and exciting core plot: both holding a myriad of mysteries, secrets, and twists that will change the way readers look at the story entirely. Maybe even themselves.
-Planned start to finish with the ending clearly in mind
-Tightly edited to maximize storytelling potential and reader engagement
-packed to the brim with emotion
-Consistent, complex, and subversive messaging. Handles adult themes while being suited for all ages. Not gritty or edgy for the sake of it.

About the project:
This was originally intended to be a manga. As the scope of the project increased it, KN seemed to be a better choice to emphasize the strengths of the series and my own as an author.

Project goals:
-15 linear story arcs (Each with approx 100 bgs)
-Over 100 characters with portraits
-Full colored hand drawn artworks for portrait and bg.
-Writing finished summer 2023
-Finished product by 2030
-Original soundtrack

Development team:
Solo project.
I can write, draw, and code this myself, but am happy to collaborate with people if they are interested

Writing/Code Progress:
-Script for first story arc finished in renpy
-Scene by scene rundown finished for entire story

Art progress:
char: ~2%
bg: 0%

Help wanted (no means to pay you tho lol):
-Editors
-Artists/co artists?
-composers?
DM me.

Devblog and OST: will be on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpvUtY ... XBiKJiTACQ
Last edited by Gunfights- on Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gunfights-

Re: Why We Never Reached The Moon [Adventure][KN]

#2 Post by Gunfights- »

Going to be dropping the first devblog explaining the premise of the series in 2 weeks, as I am returning from medical school for winter break. I am planning at minimum to talk about the inspirations and goals of the story, but as for the actual plot/themes/setting/characters, it is difficult to speak at length without giving major spoilers due to how even seemingly background details are intricately woven into the mysteries and messaging of the series and I don't want to risk ruining the story's twists and tone/paradigm shifts for first time readers.

As of an update on my current progress:

-I have produced the first 2 tracks of the OST, and I am currently working on a new funk soundtrack for the main character. They're on YT
-I've put together over 30 colored portraits for the MC and am working on artwork for the other 2 major characters. Can't spoil them or their roles though. :wink:
-I'm reviewing my scripts for part 1, and cross checking them with the 4 chapter prologue as well as my notes for the overarching story. Primary weaknesses I am aiming to address are
1. My ability to write fight scenes against nonhuman entities aren't as refined as my ability to write human vs human battles.
2. Balancing highly efficient writing with things that take time (suspense, building endearment to characters that get little screen time).
3. Making sure that the humor and light hearted elements of the series feel natural but don't feel tonally out of place with the heavier elements.

It's looking good though, at least from a writing angle. Everybody who has read what I have so far, and the few people I have explained the full plot to have loved it!

I hope everyone has a happy holidays! :D

Edit: I got robbed, which is slowing down my progress unfortunately. I am still working on the series but I think I may just need to do the devblog through writing to keep on pace for my deadlines. Happy new years everybody.

Gunfights-

Re: Why We Never Reached The Moon [Adventure][KN]

#3 Post by Gunfights- »

I haven't been updating much and won't be because I have a final in 3 weeks. I hope you all are doing well. Although at the time I believed that I would make no more changes to the characters its no longer the case, as I had a great idea that integrated perfectly with the themes and characters and also slices back on the trope-iness of the series, setting it even further apart (for the most part tho its unchanged). This last set of revisions should be final although I'm debating the inclusion of 2 scenes and 1 character trait because I'm not sure if the damage it does to his likeability is worth the depth it adds to his character arc and the effect it adds to the scenes where he earns his redemption.