[WIP] Errant Heart

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Voight-Kampff
Veteran

[WIP] Errant Heart

#1 Post by Voight-Kampff » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:08 pm

Title: Errant Heart

Setting: San Moritz - A fictional European city in the 1940s, perched on the Mediterranean.

Summary: A young woman tries to make it in the big city and become a successful painter. As she attempts to get used to life away from home, she meets unusual people and has to deal with a much larger and more mysterious world than she ever thought existed. Her decisions will forge new friendships, shape her as a person and help unravel the supernatural plot she finds herself in.

Characters:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Here's a sample image from in-game (or rather, it's a close approximation of what the in-game BGs and sprites will look like):

As you can tell by the sample, we intend to go with a 16:10 aspect ratio.

Game play and the style is more in the tradition of Type-Moon titles - heavy reliance on plot, a bit more linear in it's paths than most VNs. The story focuses primarily on the different ways that the protagonist can develop as a person, based on the choices that the player makes. Each path has a sort of "theme" to it, like "Altruism" or "Passion", etc. It mostly uses NVL mode, but ADV mode is used occasionally.

We're looking to put out a demo in the next week or two. It's not going to be a beta, or even an alpha, but more of a generic "play testing" demo. Essentially, since we've never worked on a VN before, we'd very much appreciate feedback from LSF in regards to the story, pacing, direction and so-on.
Last edited by Voight-Kampff on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:03 am, edited 6 times in total.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Re: [WIP] Errant Heart

#2 Post by azureXtwilight » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:18 am

Wow! This is awesome!
Is it commercial?

mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

#3 Post by mysterialize » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:24 am

Oh, wow. That art is absolutely stunning. Did you make those backrounds too? I'm impressed, if you did. Hell, I'm impressed even if you didn't. The character art alone is amazing.

It's difficult to base the quality of the story off of just the summary you have, but I have high hopes for this one alright. I look forward to a demo.

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

#4 Post by Voight-Kampff » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:04 am

azureXtwilight wrote:Wow! This is awesome!
Is it commercial?
It might end up being commercial. There's a lot of variables that need to be dealt with before I can answer that honestly, though.
mysterialize wrote:Oh, wow. That art is absolutely stunning. Did you make those backrounds too? I'm impressed, if you did. Hell, I'm impressed even if you didn't. The character art alone is amazing.
Thank you. And yes, that background (and all of our backgrounds) are original.

@berration
Regular
Projects: EH...

#5 Post by @berration » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:01 am

Hooray, it's officially announced. Now it won't look like I'm just asking random Ren'Py questions without actually producing anything. :lol:

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#6 Post by sake-bento » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:03 am

Ooh, this is lovely! Looking forward to more. ^o^

Zanahoria
Regular

#7 Post by Zanahoria » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:02 pm

Wow this sounds awesome!
Looking forward to it. :3

electric
Regular

#8 Post by electric » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:26 pm

sprites are gorgeous.

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#9 Post by PrettySammy09 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:00 am

Gorgeous pretties, as everyone has said.

Can't wait for the demo!

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

#10 Post by Voight-Kampff » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks again to everyone who has commented.

Also, I did want to take the opportunity to note that while we're looking primarily for generalized feedback with this demo, I'd like to make one specific request.

We use some German dialog. I'm kinda rusty. And I'd rather not end up being the Visual Novel equivalent of Zerowing. So if any native German-speakers would be kind enough to lend their expertise and point out any problems once the demo is released, I'd be very much obliged.

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

#11 Post by Voight-Kampff » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:27 pm

Well, here it is. I had wanted to get the demo a little more polished. But, to accomplish that "little more" would have actually taken a lot of work. Still, as it stands, I do believe that this version should be able to get across the feel and the intent that we're shooting for. Some caveats before you begin, however:

Story: This comprises most of the introductory branch for the story. It effectively ends after all of the primary characters are introduced. There are user-selectable choices, but they don't lead to any different endings. Play time should be roughly two hours.

Graphics: Most of the art resources are place-holders. Most of the sprites are just roughs, the BGs are filtered photos and screen caps, save for a few finalized BGs (you'll know them when you see them).

Audio: There's music in the opening sequence, but that's all. Again, just like with the graphics, the music is comprised of place-holders and will not be in the finished product. Sound effects can be found peppered throughout the whole demo.

I'm only going to keep the demo link up for a week or two. I'd like to downplay info about development for now. One reason being the use of copyrighted materials in the demo. Consequently, this is not meant for public consumption. It's strictly meant for the LSF community to look at and provide some feedback for development purposes only.

That being said, please grab a copy and let us know what you think. Any insight that you'd like to voice would be appreciated.

[links removed]

Each version is around 50MB...if they existed. Which they don't.
Last edited by Voight-Kampff on Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dstarsboy
Veteran

Re: [WIP] Errant Heart - Now with demo! For a limited time!

#12 Post by dstarsboy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:25 pm

Looks awesome! I'll give this a shot at home tonight.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

RayRayTea
Regular
Projects: The Stolen Diamond Ring (a mystery VN)

#13 Post by RayRayTea » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:17 am

I'll give it a try too! The names sound anything but Mediterranean though ^^;;;
nekomura games
Princess Battles, a card-based stat raising sim

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#14 Post by Samu-kun » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:42 am

Murr... I can't change the text speed from its slow default setting because the game crashes whenever I click on preferences.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

KeyError: 'voice'

While running game code:
 - script at line 102 of C:\Renpy\Projects\Errant Heart pre-pre-alpha/game/scenes.rpy
 - python at line 199 of renpy-6.10.2/common/00nvl_mode.rpy.
 - python at line 194 of renpy-6.10.2/common/00library.rpy.
 - script at line 138 of C:\Renpy\Renpy 6.10.2/common/_layout/imagemap_preferences.rpym

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 260, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\main.py", line 310, in main
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\main.py", line 93, in run
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\execution.py", line 234, in run
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\ast.py", line 341, in execute
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\exports.py", line 539, in say
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\character.py", line 565, in __call__
  File "renpy-6.10.2/common/00nvl_mode.rpy", line 199, in do_display
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\character.py", line 338, in display_say
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\ui.py", line 70, in interact
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 1578, in interact
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\display\core.py", line 2072, in interact_core
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\display\layout.py", line 647, in event
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 179, in event
  File "renpy-6.10.2/common/00library.rpy", line 194, in invoke_game_menu
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\game.py", line 292, in call_in_new_context
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\execution.py", line 234, in run
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\ast.py", line 558, in execute
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\python.py", line 937, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "C:\Renpy\Renpy 6.10.2/common/_layout/imagemap_preferences.rpym", line 138, in <module>
  File "C:\Renpy\Renpy 6.10.2/common/_layout/imagemap_preferences.rpym", line 130, in _m1_imagemap_preferences__show_preferences
  File "C:\Users\ \Documents\Downloads\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\Errant_Heart_pre-pre-alpha-win32\renpy\game.py", line 159, in get_volume
KeyError: 'voice'

While running game code:
 - script at line 102 of C:\Renpy\Projects\Errant Heart pre-pre-alpha/game/scenes.rpy
 - python at line 199 of renpy-6.10.2/common/00nvl_mode.rpy.
 - python at line 194 of renpy-6.10.2/common/00library.rpy.
 - script at line 138 of C:\Renpy\Renpy 6.10.2/common/_layout/imagemap_preferences.rpym

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.10.2e

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

#15 Post by Voight-Kampff » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:55 am

Samu-kun wrote:Murr... I can't change the text speed from its slow default setting because the game crashes whenever I click on preferences.
Hmm. There hadn't been any problems the last time I checked the preferences menu. But, looks like something's changed in the meantime. Out of curiosity, which version are you using?