my first game

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.

how bad are these graphics?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:30 pm

they're god awful
8%
not so good
8%
itll do
69%
for some odd reason I like it
15%

Total votes: 13

asuka kanea

my first game

#1 Post by asuka kanea »

I'm almost done with all the pictures for my first game. I decided to show them to people. its not the greatest since I drew it all with a mouse on the computer (it sucks to be poor I have to wait to get a scanner). I also have the script for the game writen out in my sketch book....so now all I have to do is start programing *moans* anyways since this is my first game its small and nothing specail itll have 4 diffrent endings and its probably not that difficult.
Attachments
asuhap.gif
asuhap.gif (9.69 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
awunorm.gif
awunorm.gif (10.21 KiB) Viewed 1578 times

Grey
Veteran

#2 Post by Grey »

They're not bad. The shading is nice where you've done it, proportions are good.

However the legs. Normally whenever someone makes that pose in an anime they are generally about to collapse onto their knees for some reason.

Try making the pose yourself though. Knees and feet bent in towards each other. Not easy is it? It would be very unconfortable to stand up that way for any length of time. The knees should be pointing straight forwards or slightly away from each other, and ditto for the feet.

That's the only real problem I see with the images. Keep at it :)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

It looks pixellated because of the format. Try using .png

denzil
Veteran

#4 Post by denzil »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:It looks pixellated because of the format. Try using .png
I don't think so. Gif is loseless format and while it supports only 256 colors its no problem because in those images is used only 23 and 25 colors. Those images would look the same even in .png

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#5 Post by papillon »

It looks pixelated because it was *made as pixel art*. Fancy that! :)

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#6 Post by Otaku Dash »

It's not that bad.... i kinda like them. :D ;)

*thinks that it's way better than something I will manage to put in my game*
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

I am well aware that simply re-saving the .gif as .png wouldn't help at all- it would still look pixelated. What I'm saying is, you can re-develop them without the restrictions of a .gif, and then save as a .png. If you never delete your project file, you don't have to worry about lossy formats, because you can always make the changes to the original project file (which should be lossless).

I guess I'm just not much of a fan for pixel art. Though, for pixel art, it looks pretty good. I just prefer more smoothness and colors

asuka kanea

pixel

#8 Post by asuka kanea »

I saved the original as a png....but it looks the same. I drew it on the computer with a mouse so ofcourse its going to look like that. I drew it pixel by pixel pretty much. about the feet....yea they suck....I don't like this character very much. she's suposed to be standing in that "cute" pigon toed way...that japanese girls love to pose in.... still the feet are sucky.... the name of the game is girl next door btw. the idea is to get ayumi (the girl in the pictures) to fall in love with you in one year. your friend make a bet with you in the begining of the school year that you can't get a girl friend and that's the premis of the game.

denzil
Veteran

#9 Post by denzil »

I had nothing to do so I tried to make one of the pictures less pixelated (except for hair).
I drew it on the computer with a mouse so ofcourse its going to look like that.
Not necessary. Here you can find links to few pixel art tutorials. Just look for anti-aliasing.
Attachments
asuhap_2.png
asuhap_2.png (6.71 KiB) Viewed 1540 times

asuka kanea

pixel art

#10 Post by asuka kanea »

yea that looks nice. A thicker outline might do the trick. I'll do that for the full version of the game...which has more characters....thanks for the help.
btw does anyone know where to get music? I really don't have any way to make music.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

*rolls out the red carpet, trumpeteers start playing, and shizeetv2 strides into the room*

Ask this guy- he can help. Check out the following topic: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=504

asuka kanea

music

#12 Post by asuka kanea »

thanks! thats just what i needed. btw what are the best tutorials for renpy
Ive seen a one but its a bit confusing.

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#13 Post by Otaku Dash »

Go to eclipse's http://www.renaigames.net/ For various Ren'py related toturials.

Go to the Developmet corner... can't miss them. ;) :) They teach you how to use Ren'py from scratch till helping you release your final product.
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Coolchaodude

Re: pixel art

#14 Post by Coolchaodude »

asuka kanea wrote:yea that looks nice. A thicker outline might do the trick. I'll do that for the full version of the game...which has more characters....thanks for the help.
btw does anyone know where to get music? I really don't have any way to make music.
i can compose music into MIDI format but since I flunked out of Band you'll have 2 write the music yourself
I use The Games Factory, so if u want me 2 make a game email or PM me!