Yesoidos [WIP; Kabbalah, Jewish, psychological]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Musashi
Regular
Projects: Yesoidos

Work begun on Chapter 2

#31 Post by Musashi »

Hi! College has started again, but I'm still working "a bit" on Yesoidos.

I've added more stuff to Chapter 2. Chapter 1 didn't have much heavy mystical stuff, but Chapter 2 begins to work some in. Word count is at 4,622.

I've also improved the character graphic for Satan so he doesn't look as blurry and 2-D as before. I still like the idea of keeping him abstract, since he is an angel and can't really be physically realized, but the blur gave me a bit of a headache. I've more or less replaced that overall blur effect with large amounts of shadow and glow.

However, that is the only character graphic aside from Michoël in the game so far. As I get closer to the beta release, I will need to spend more and more time on graphics and less time on the story.

Oh, and Tachyglossus: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!
(and all you other interested artists out there!)
Last edited by Musashi on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

Re: [WIP kabbalah, Jewish, psychological]: Yesoidos

#32 Post by Watercolorheart »

I actually like the idea of spriteless characters, but that's kind of cute. Will it flash when it talks instead of a blinking animation?
I'm not even the same person anymore

wingzofdarkness
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoReNo16 demo), Straight Up: Sister-zoned!

Re: [WIP kabbalah, Jewish, psychological]: Yesoidos

#33 Post by wingzofdarkness »

Wow, this is a very complex yet interesting story plot you are using. I can't wait to see how you'll lay this out. Working with personality discoveries and understanding the belief of astrology is difficult to master.

It is a shame that not many people aren't as open-minded to the opinions and beliefs of other people, otherwise more people would comment on this project. For them, this would be a great eye-opener to the massive knowledge of the universe.

I wish I could contribute to this project, unfortunately, I am quite busy with other art projects. I wish you good luck in obtaining an artist.

Musashi
Regular

Thanks for the feedback!

#34 Post by Musashi »

I actually like the idea of spriteless characters, but that's kind of cute. Will it flash when it talks instead of a blinking animation?
I didn't have that in mind when I designed him, but I do have in mind to make him warp and change colors slightly when his emotions change - kind of like a person could flush red or white when he gets angry or scared. For example, here's his "scheming" emotion graphic:
It is a shame that not many people aren't as open-minded to the opinions and beliefs of other people, otherwise more people would comment on this project. For them, this would be a great eye-opener to the massive knowledge of the universe.
I kind of suspected from the beginning that I would have to struggle with this. But, I also had a feeling that the depth of the story, the unusual themes and the frankness might make it stand out among the other visual novels.

However, my primary hope with this novel is that someone would read it and see the world in a different way. That maybe there is something beyond the mask. That small actions might not just affect this world on a huge scale, but also reconfigure and shift infinite worlds beyond this one, for the good. To strive for a deeper reality and a penetrating personal integrity and Truth that will shine and illuminate the universe - for him and for others.

Speaking of Truth, the Rebbe Rashab once said that if the Alter Rebbe (Rabbi Shneur Zalman of Liädi) had not demanded "Jacob's attribute of Truth" from his chassidim, he would have had 50,000 more followers. But the Alter Rebbe demanded Truth.

So, even if I don't get as many people reading this novel in the end, I am a follower of the Alter Rebbe. I cannot bring myself to put anything but truth into Yesoidos. The characters might not be real, but I have modeled their universe as much as possible according to my understanding of the actual universe we live in.
Wow, this is a very complex yet interesting story plot you are using.... I wish you good luck in obtaining an artist.
Thanks, a lot! I really appreciate the feedback. It encourages me to keep working on this project and give it best effort I can.

BTW - I still need artists!

wingzofdarkness
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoReNo16 demo), Straight Up: Sister-zoned!

Re: Thanks for the feedback!

#35 Post by wingzofdarkness »

Are you going to have the characters look like stars (I'm assuming they're souls)? That would be very interesting and VERY different. If not, I am guessing that you will have character sprites and the emotional graphics will reflect on the character's soul depending on the choices being made.

I am glad that you are thinking positively about your project. Once it is finished, I am sure there will be many people who will review this as spectacular and imaginative. I wish you luck and more encouragement in getting your voice out to the public. It is always a good feeling when you have that affect on people =]

Musashi
Regular

Character look and feel

#36 Post by Musashi »

Are you going to have the characters look like stars (I'm assuming they're souls)?
No, not all. Most of the time, characters will be (physical) people. It is only when I must show what happens behind the Veil (in the spiritual realms) that I will use abstract graphics like this. Also, I specifically chose a spiky appearance for Satan because I felt that fit his role as the Antagonist. I'm working on a visualization of the angel Michoël as a blue-yellow flame shape. Mata"t, if I decide to draw him, will likely be roughly spherical, since he is described as "sitting and recording the merits of Israel" instead of standing, like all the other angels.

I decided to use abstract graphics for spiritual entities, since physical "standing" (among other phenomena, like eating, sleeping, etc.) cannot be understood literally outside of the physical world.

However, people like Binyomin and Pinchus will appear as normal, much as in other VNs.
Once it is finished, I am sure there will be many people who will review this as spectacular and imaginative. I wish you luck and more encouragement in getting your voice out to the public.
Thanks!

Musashi
Regular

New icon!

#37 Post by Musashi »

Progress is slow, but continues apace.

I have created a new icon for Yesoidos:

Satan now has a "yearning" graphic. Still need to do Michoël, still need to do 6 other characters, including humans (ack!).

Still need an artist!
Last edited by Musashi on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Musashi
Regular

New alpha imminent.

#38 Post by Musashi »

Put in some new BGs and a new CG. Expect to release a new alpha this weekend.

The documentation for Renpy's ATL really needs some improvement, with more examples. But it looks seriously awesome!

Musashi
Regular

New music posted

#39 Post by Musashi »

Finished first draft of a new orchestral piece. I'm slightly proud of it, since it's the first piece of this length and complexity I've ever made. I named it "Exile: Elegy for the Promised Land."

Listen to it here: http://yesoidos.sourceforge.net/music

Musashi
Regular

Alpha 0.4a7

#40 Post by Musashi »

I'm working on packaging the binaries and source for 0.4a7 right now. Hang tight.

Edit: Uploaded! Download at http://yesoidos.sourceforge.net/download.

I ran into a bug with my source-code-packaging script. Fixing that took a little while. Sorry! All's good now.

This new version is a bit heftier than the last one because there are several new graphics. Check them out!

I still haven't added in any music yet, mostly because I haven't decided where to put it, and partly because I need to focus on graphics right now. I've only got 14 days until the demo release!

Still need artists, or else I'm going to have to use stick figures for the demo... :-)

Musashi
Regular

More art

#41 Post by Musashi »

I have finished the angel graphics for the upcoming demo. There are four unique expressions for Satan, and three for Michoël. I kind of like how they turned out.

Now, I'm going to work more intensively on the background photos and art.

Someone, please save me with your awesome people-drawing skills!

I've only got twelve days to the demo release! Eeeek!
Last edited by Musashi on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Musashi
Regular

Alpha 0.4a8

#42 Post by Musashi »

New alpha release, containing the new graphics. As usual, the download is at http://yesoidos.sourceforge.net/download.

Musashi
Regular

Demo status

#43 Post by Musashi »

OK, another update about the demo:

Since I have no artist right now drawing the characters for Yesoidos, I regret to say that while I will make a new release on the 19th, it will be missing professional character graphics. Therefore, I don't think that release will be ready for the Ren'Py games list. I don't think it will even be of the quality to call it a demo.

However, since it will have many background graphics and otherwise more complete than before, I will advance the version number from 0.4ax to 0.5ax.

School is in full swing now, but I still hope to keep adding to the project, even more than I did in school last year.

cosmo
Regular
Projects: | ZUKUNFT | Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play (WIP version 0.1) |

Re: [WIP kabalah, Jewish, psychological]: Yesoidos (ART NEED

#44 Post by cosmo »

Hi! I just want to pop in and say that I look at it with interest! :)
I am currently not available for your project… but I may talk about it to friends who might be interested. Don't expect too much from it… I just want to pay you my respect and my good wishes! :) Go on!
Project: Wayang Kulit - A Shadow Play
Status: First demo version "Proof of Concept" of my first project is out.

Musashi
Regular

Re: [WIP kabalah, Jewish, psychological]: Yesoidos (ART NEED

#45 Post by Musashi »

Thanks, cosmo!

Although I cannot make the demo date I set for myself, mainly due to lack of art, I am still adding on to the story. I added a new meditative conversation with Binyomin's inner voice in chapter 2, and word count is now at 5,923.

Update, 10/03/2011:
Expanded the conversation with the inner voice, and introduced Benny's mom. Word count is at 7,405.