Educational Visual Novel

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
jdeisenberg

Educational Visual Novel

#1 Post by jdeisenberg »

This is a small visual novel I put together to teach the concepts of hypothesis testing to my psych research methods class. http://evc-cit.info/psych018/hypothesis_testing.html I am sure that this is something that Ren'py was never intended for, but I did it anyway. Comments are welcomed.

The back story behind this VN (if you can even call it that): It seems that students haven't been reading the book, and my lecture didn't seem to clear things up. What to do?
  • A PDF document? No; too formal, and it's just more reading.
  • A set of PowerPoint slides? No. Just no.
  • A manga? Great idea, but I have no artistic talent, and I got stuck figuring out how to lay out panels
Aha! Ren'py was the solution! The visual novel format gave me the ability to write the content informally and deliver it in small, manageable segments. The ability to do interaction was nice, too.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Educational Visual Novel

#2 Post by PyTom »

Ah, I remember Hypothesis Testing from a class in statistics I took a decade ago.

I have to say, I really endorse people using Ren'Py to make "Visual Nonfiction". This worked out pretty well, and I'm glad Ren'Py worked for you.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

RayRayTea
Regular
Projects: The Stolen Diamond Ring (a mystery VN)

#3 Post by RayRayTea »

Just went through this, VN format works really well for educational purposes (rewind, multiple answers which are all explained etc). Please make more!
nekomura games
Princess Battles, a card-based stat raising sim

Anvil Factory

#4 Post by Anvil Factory »

Wow, Evergreen! I've thought about attending classes there a couple of times. I don't know about the other students, but I would be tickled pink to see my professor use Ren'Py.

ra-nyan
Regular

#5 Post by ra-nyan »

i wish my teacher would use Ren'py too..
boredom kills....