RockRobin - Band Manager (Demo)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: RockRobin - GxB (w/Demo) - Character Contest!!

#196 Post by Aleema »

Riviera! THANK YOU! I will NOT DISAPPOINT YOU! MORE CAPITAL LETTERS!! LOVE!

A guy with rainbow pigtails? I can dig it. ;)

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

#197 Post by sheetcakeghost »

So, with all the new entries will you be shortening the deadline and taking the rest of the month to pick?

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#198 Post by Aleema »

Serenity Frost wrote:So, with all the new entries will you be shortening the deadline and taking the rest of the month to pick?
If I decide to do that, I should at least give a week's notice, methinks ... I canceled submissions for something too early in the past, and some of the best stuff got sent to me after I made my decisions. :( A month is a long time, I was basically working off of Lorey's school schedule. *waah* I don't know what to do. >_> I should be focusing on the writing I need to get done now (and Chansel's game), so maybe I should take it slow, anyway ... Maybe I could do a "pick two now, pick two later" sort of deal. Like rounds? lol

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

#199 Post by sheetcakeghost »

Taking your time is always best, and who says you can't accept later submissions if they're awesome.

Hmm, rounds could be good. It'd let you write in smaller doses so you don't have to get used to a bunch of new characters at once.

TyranX
Regular

#200 Post by TyranX »

o.o
-Is now seeing contest-
-looks at deadline-
*whistling while inching towards notepad all ninja-like*
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you to death with their experience."

Current Status="A brilliantly lazy man"

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#201 Post by Aleema »

Okay, because of the awesome entries and generous donations, I might up the winners to 3 guys and 3 girls. That way it's even. ^^; But because of the larger amount of characters, people who could help script their character's events will get, um, "priority"?

Also, since all these characters were developed separately, when put together, some of the stats of your characters may have to change to have game diversity (stress levels, genres, even instruments). I don't want to hinder anyone's creativity at this point, but I am noticing a trend in the characters, which may have to change if selected, so I hope some people are okay with this. You're free to argue your case, however. ;)

TyranX
Regular

#202 Post by TyranX »

Hmm. I wouldn't mind providing some of the scripts for my character, the one issue that is preventing me from saying "Ok, I'll do it!" is not knowing how other characters would react mine. I'd feel as if I was puppeteering other peoples characters if I had to make their responses, and that was feel just weird.

And I give you free range to mettle with my entry if need be~ Just try to keep his instrument if you can. XD
If it really is too much of a hassle to work with, go ahead and change it.

*goes to the back of the applicant line all ninja-like*
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you to death with their experience."

Current Status="A brilliantly lazy man"

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

#203 Post by sheetcakeghost »

Faust is a flexible guy, he'd be cool with some character changing for the sake of variety. (Like say if you wanted to make him a secret agent, for instance.)

I can certainly assist in scripting if it helps out. I'd definitely want to have a group session to see how well the characters melt down first though. I'm with Tyranextasy on the dislike for puppeting characters you don't know.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#204 Post by azureXtwilight »

Aaah, great~!
I'm running ideas for this now, so I won't be joining this contest... and I support the donation thing you made earlier!
And no, it's a good thing. Of course we want you to finish this game~!

Ahem, any release date yet?

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#205 Post by Aleema »

TyranX wrote:Hmm. I wouldn't mind providing some of the scripts for my character, the one issue that is preventing me from saying "Ok, I'll do it!" is not knowing how other characters would react mine. I'd feel as if I was puppeteering other peoples characters if I had to make their responses, and that was feel just weird.
That's a legitimate concern. I'm not even revealing under what circumstances these characters will come into play. Suffice it to say, it's an open-ended mode, so there's little context needed. Hopefully, I'll get the winners all together, and we can discuss band dynamics. Chansel, for instance, wrote the introduction to her character's path. When she gave it to me, I sinfully edited it to fit my programming and changed minor out of character things (but she's a sweetheart and let me). So long as you don't mind me being the final editor, you'll find your writing will most likely be used. I'm afraid of giving all the characters the same voice, so writing at least an example scene will help me if I end up writing it all.

If we get the character's authors involved with each other's writing, hopefully puppeteering won't be too big of a problem. Keep in mind that the game will still be in first-person, so everything will be through someone else's eyes to begin with. So scenes that will be purely your OC x her OC won't happen. Most of it will be dialogue between Robin and your OC, with those special bonus scenes if you recruit the special combinations.
Ahem, any release date yet?
Don't pressure me! Image
My original goal was the end of summer. Good thing that's really vague.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#206 Post by azureXtwilight »

I understand :D Please take your time!
GO.. A-L-E-E-M-A!
*cheering on you*

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#207 Post by sayuri »

Just finished the demo. Is this going to be a commercial release? It sure could be, looks a lot more polished that Kudos: Rock Band. It was a lot of fun :). I must say though, I was feeling some serious deja vu. Robin felt a lot like Nana Osaki. I mean, Dallas seems like Ren and Emmitt like Nobu. Maybe I'm making connections that aren't there, I dunno. Also, I hope Robin shows more of her sensitive side as time goes on. She often came off as abrasive, in my opinion. I felt more genuine emotions coming from her character after meeting Dallas but something in the back of my mind said 'way to start being nice to the guy whose heart you broke now that it benefits you'. I understand that she uses sarcasm and insults as a way to protect herself. Just from the window that is the demo the anger seemed to be laid on a bit thick. Yes, I'd like to see Robin be a bit kinder and less hardened. I imagine that once she gets close to a guy she'll open up some, right? Anyway, great job so far and good luck! I hope I didn't step on any toes with my comments. ~_~

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#208 Post by Aleema »

sayuri wrote:Just finished the demo. Is this going to be a commercial release?
Nope.
I must say though, I was feeling some serious deja vu. Robin felt a lot like Nana Osaki. I mean, Dallas seems like Ren and Emmitt like Nobu. Maybe I'm making connections that aren't there, I dunno.

I don't know those characters. *googles* Well, I know Mika Nakashima. XD Not sure how much she's like the character, Nana? I don't even touch manga. I think there are only so many archetypes you can have (especially if you narrow the field down to "rock band"), if you want it to still be realistic and hit home. Hopefully, your "deja vu" is just that, and not "wow, you totally copied the characters." I'm okay with you being reminded of others, just know that they each will develop into unique characters that you couldn't possibly grasp from just the demo.

*reads up on Nana* Well, just from appearances, yep, they both have short hair and are rocker grrls. She seems more laid back, I think, though. Dunno. The other two resemble your connections on small tangents (Ren knows the MC from the past, Emmitt is cheerful, Beau wasn't mentioned), so I'm glad about that. *phew* You scared me for a second, lol.
Also, I hope Robin shows more of her sensitive side as time goes on. She often came off as abrasive, in my opinion. I felt more genuine emotions coming from her character after meeting Dallas but something in the back of my mind said 'way to start being nice to the guy whose heart you broke now that it benefits you'. I understand that she uses sarcasm and insults as a way to protect herself. Just from the window that is the demo the anger seemed to be laid on a bit thick. Yes, I'd like to see Robin be a bit kinder and less hardened. I imagine that once she gets close to a guy she'll open up some, right? Anyway, great job so far and good luck! I hope I didn't step on any toes with my comments. ~_~
It's tough to have a strong main character in a game where you make decisions, because if you can't relate to the MC, it'll constantly bother you. I understand. I'm not about to let Robin get away with how she's acting. That much I can tell you. The rest, however, you will have to play and find out. :)

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

#209 Post by sheetcakeghost »

I have absolutely no problem with heavy editing. My writing is usually far from gold the first time out. With the expanded character selection will you still only be allowing one of the males (or ladies) have a romance with the MC? With the winners being permitted to pen their own events you could expand that too. So long as it's in character, obviously.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#210 Post by Aleema »

Serenity Frost wrote:I have absolutely no problem with heavy editing. My writing is usually far from gold the first time out. With the expanded character selection will you still only be allowing one of the males (or ladies) have a romance with the MC? With the winners being permitted to pen their own events you could expand that too. So long as it's in character, obviously.
^___^ Well, okay. More romances can be allowed.
The original reason I limited it is because I put a lot of effort into those paths, and I didn't want to bog myself down with too many. I also don't want redundant romances (similar love stories), so if we can establish different enough romances, and I get help with the events, then it's definitely possible. I was going to withhold the extra romances for the expansion packs (I'm not planning on making anyone's characters an expansion pack -- they'll be in the original release), but let's see how it goes. :D

My rules on sex are that it's allowed, just not in detail about what went where and such. How the entire act felt is okay. Anything that happens before or after is encouraged to be detail. ^^
My reasoning is that, if players are promised hentai/fap-fodder, they'll rush through a path to get that reward. Not what you or I want. Also, I want the game to have some sort of tasteful standard, haha. Sound effects are fair game, though.