RockRobin - Band Manager (Demo)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Starling
Regular
Completed: Rapunzel, Ishara: Bane of the Seas
Organization: Happy Backwards

Re: RockRobin - GxB (w/Demo) - Character Contest!!

#241 Post by Starling »

Holy... RockRobin thread has been hopping while I've been on vacation *just read through it all*

Serenity Frost: Lol! My character feels loved. I'm totally okay with this as long as they have CHEMISTRY (dun dun DUUUNNN) but that's only if they both get picked @_@

Aleema: Eee I want to help... but I have no money at all DX I want money! I want to donate 5 Dolla. Also I'd be willing to write, I'd assume that you'd look over it and probably make it better~ My writing isn't as nice as my character creation (in my opinion my characters are at my best before they are written)

And ah... shoot... Yeah I had a feeling it might be the violin that you've gotten too many instruments on... I admit it was it on your application that helped to inspire her whole back story (she was just homeless before then) and I knew I was taking a chance on everyone else choosing it as well... If the other two change can Emma stay a violinist? *is shot*...
Only because that was a big part of her character, it's part of her personality and her back story and her oomph factor in the beginning... I can try and think of something else if you still want to change. Or maybe the playing violin is a part of her character still, but she can only be vocals in the band? Though that would get rid of a couple of events...
...and YAY for loving the pockets. I love her pockets as well.. nothing like a neurotic mannerism to give a character some uh... spechialness.
Last edited by Starling on Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Completed:
Rapunzel -- Fairy Tale Kinetic Novel
(NaNoRenO '11 )
the empty orchestra
(NaNoRenO '14)
(NaNoRenO '15)

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

#242 Post by sheetcakeghost »

So long as she isn't also an über gold-digging whore Faust will probably like her just fine.

Starling
Regular

#243 Post by Starling »

Money is not really all that important to her rofl, she was mostly quite content to live on the streets for quite a while.
Completed:
(NaNoRenO '11 )
the empty orchestra
(NaNoRenO '14)
(NaNoRenO '15)

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#244 Post by Aleema »

If I haven't replied to anyone that I should have, please send me another message so I can get back to you soon. There's been a family emergency, so I'm a bit at a loss for coherence. I don't plan on this hurting the progress of the game, but I am a bit more distracted than usual, and my responsibilities are going to double or something else time consuming. Again, I don't plan on it affecting the progress of the game, and definitely not the possibility of release (I'm not posting for sympathy, either). Hopefully, I can use the experience to write better emotional scenes. But writing might be the only thing I can do for a while, since I'm kinda helpless, so if you guys help me stay on task, that would be great.

@ Starling, Serenity: I actually think your two characters are a great match. In regards to the violin, you both submitted the violin people at the same time, and you were my first two entries, so don't sweat it. You were original, just at the same time, lol.
I don't want you to change your instrument, though, Starling. I think a lot of what makes Emma work is that she's this graceful homeless person. And don't worry about money, you're supporting the project just fine.
@ TyranX: Haha. Generic and bland, eh? I saw it as kinda empowering and masculine (need a girl guitarist CHARACTER ENTRY GO!), like the sword in RPGs. I figured people were avoiding it because it's kinda a weighty instrument, like it's reserved for really important characters. But it's going to be required that you have a guitarist if you want 4 band members. I can change it so where you can have 4 violinists or whatever you want, but the genre songs are still going to sound the same. >_>

Starling
Regular

#245 Post by Starling »

Aleema wrote:If I haven't replied to anyone that I should have, please send me another message so I can get back to you soon. There's been a family emergency, so I'm a bit at a loss for coherence. I don't plan on this hurting the progress of the game, but I am a bit more distracted than usual, and my responsibilities are going to double or something else time consuming. Again, I don't plan on it affecting the progress of the game, and definitely not the possibility of release (I'm not posting for sympathy, either). Hopefully, I can use the experience to write better emotional scenes. But writing might be the only thing I can do for a while, since I'm kinda helpless, so if you guys help me stay on task, that would be great.
Damn you are a trooper Aleema, good for you, I will be glad to help you stay on task! *salutes you* XD
Aleema wrote:@ Starling, Serenity: I actually think your two characters are a great match. In regards to the violin, you both submitted the violin people at the same time, and you were my first two entries, so don't sweat it. You were original, just at the same time, lol.
I don't want you to change your instrument, though, Starling. I think a lot of what makes Emma work is that she's this graceful homeless person. And don't worry about money, you're supporting the project just fine.
I am intrigued now about Faust and Emma LOL. And I'm also really glad about the rest.
Completed:
(NaNoRenO '11 )
the empty orchestra
(NaNoRenO '14)
(NaNoRenO '15)

eichan ssu!

#246 Post by eichan ssu! »

wow, looks awesome. I'm currently downloading the demo. And will look forward to this.

Robin is quite an unusual heroine for a game, honestly. I would love to play her role.lol

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

#247 Post by sheetcakeghost »

I'd tell you more about Faust, Star, but Aleema wants minimal character exposure in forum. Feel free to PM me questions so we can really work out if they would. Even if we don't get picked character development is fun.

I hope your family issues work out smoothly, Al. I can certainly whip up that guitarist girl, but I don't want her to overshadow Faust so if it comes down to one vs the other then I'd much rather he make it through. If someone else puts in a girl guitarist I'd rather they get it too. Hardly fair if two of my characters make it even if they are going to be super awesome.
Last edited by sheetcakeghost on Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starling
Regular

#248 Post by Starling »

Minimal character exposure.....? *whistles innocently as she edits some things*

Anyway that would be cool~ But I don't want to plot or anything till the context is over >_> <_< >_> :D
Completed:
(NaNoRenO '11 )
the empty orchestra
(NaNoRenO '14)
(NaNoRenO '15)

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

#249 Post by sheetcakeghost »

If we get picked we'll have plenty of time, I'm sure. I think Aleema is planning on all of us getting into a group and talking stuff out to help work out plot related things.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#250 Post by Aleema »

LinWest has proven to be a real dear. She's currently making the game's CG event graphics. She just finished one that made me go "squee", so she's really good. :D I'm not going to post any because there's probably going to be one per character path, so no spoilers.

I also want to clarify that there will be one ending per romancable guy. Right now, once you choose which guy to pursue, it's kinda like a kinetic novel if you meet the (not-so-strict) requirement for the cutscene. All the important decisions to get those scenes take place in the management part of the game, so it's not like you won't have to still work for them. I just haven't coded any "how do I respond" menus inside them, since it's obvious to me how Robin will respond. Those types of choices will be reserved for Band Meeting conversations, which will give you your luvluv points for the guys, which will be weighed and counted when it comes time for a cutscene.

I'm trying to make it so that you can be nice to the guys without getting their romance paths, but it's actually rather hard to do, since in these games, you have to tell the game who you like most. And the most clear-cut way of doing that is being an uncaring bitch to the ones you're not pursuing. While not out of character, it doesn't allow Robin to evolve in her relationship with anyone but the romancable. I'm thinking the clearest way to tell the game who you want to pursue will be the "go out" action (which I am changing to "hang out", and changing the original hang out button to something like "Talk"), which you can only do on the weekends (maximum of twice a week). And every time you do it, you'll add points to the guys' luvluv meters. So far, that's the best solution to this problem. Any more suggestions would be helpful.

Anyway, does one ending per guy turn you gals off at all? You can still get a bad ending for each, which means you started his path, but didn't win the conditions of the game or meet the requirements to finish his path. I just see a very specific relationship growth for each guy, and straying from that path would just end their relationship, I think. So I didn't include options so much in the cutscenes. Do I need to go back and add them?

I would guesstimate the writing for the romance paths to be about 65% done. Which is a lot, considering I have one character left that I really haven't written for yet. >_>

Lastly, here is a random Lint count (ignore number of menus o_O):

The game contains 4994 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 52060 words,
for an average of 10.4 words per screen.
The game contains 20 menus.

@ Serenity, Starling: Yeah, posting about the characters here would be a bad idea. I have a website setup for the game (where the character talks will happen), but I need to redesign it first. Yes, that's the only reason it's not done, yet. I need to make it look pretty. That's me in a nutshell.
Last edited by Aleema on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#251 Post by azureXtwilight »

I have no problem with that. The struggle to obtain the path is already hard for me. XD
With that kind of storytelling (which I enjoy) I won't have a problem with one (or two?) ending per guy. Just write to your heart's content. :D

sheetcakeghost
Veteran

#252 Post by sheetcakeghost »

I am with you on the need to make stuff pretty. I have a horrible OCD when it comes to templates in writing. If I set one up (it usually involves color coding and special spacing) and someone on my project strays from it I flip my lid. =p Luckily writing directly into the Ren'Py coder means the template is taken care of for me and no one on my VN projects have to deal with that little quirk.
Last edited by sheetcakeghost on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starling
Regular

#253 Post by Starling »

I'm perfectly happy with one ending per guy. I think the main draw of this game is the management part and how you can customize it differently, the romance with the boys is just an amazing added plus lol.

And oo for website I can't wait to see that when you put it up. I'm also rather picky XD I also usually set lofty website coding goals because I'm insane so it takes me freakin forever to make them. I've always had a bad habit of giving myself lofty coding goals *shudders when she remembers doing the actionscript coding for her flash game*

And congrats on getting some Event CGs! I bet your ecstatic~ And I know that I'll be excited to try and see them all.
Completed:
(NaNoRenO '11 )
the empty orchestra
(NaNoRenO '14)
(NaNoRenO '15)

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#254 Post by sake-bento »

Wooo watch me come in late to the party. The instrument my submitted character plays is pretty fluid, so do feel free to change the instrument of choice to anything as long as it's not lead vocals. >.>

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#255 Post by Pyonkotchi »

heh i loved the demo, it was like awesomesauce

loved the grafitti part. aaahh Emmitt is too cool :V
whats-his-face is such a jerkass. No wonder Robin hates that guy so much D:
i might enter the character contest before its too late... but daaaayyyummm....im lazy B|