[WIP] The Isle of St Marcus (DEMO added)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Chansel
Veteran
Projects: School's Out! -- A GxB or GxG VN/Dating Sim

Re: [WIP] The Isle of St Marcus (DEMO added)

#61 Post by Chansel »

Just finished playing the demo.
Loved it so far!

You’ve really managed to create a theme to work with during the game. The menu’s, textbox, music and the sprites all add up and complement each other wonderfully.

I’m really looking forward to making choices that’ll effect the isle, so I’m definitely going to keep an extra eye on this one ;)

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to be nitpicky about a few Dutch-related things...
First of all, let me say that I love that you researched and had Anton come from Groningen. I don’t think there’s many non-native people who know it exists, nor would be able to pronounce it :P Which is exactly why I would suggest changing it to Rotterdam. Rotterdam is known for being one of the largest port-towns in the world and it flourished during the 17th century. Also, that was the main port for the VOC, the Dutch East India Company (Verenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie), which was the largest trading company during the 17th and 18th century. So unless you have a real attachment to Groningen that you haven’t touched upon yet in the game, I’d go with Rotterdam because it would make more sense.
However, since I doubt any of your readers will have had any Dutch history lessons (like I have) feel free to ignore this. It’s not in any way vital to the game and it’s just a suggestion :)

Secondly, most Dutch people don’t actually refer to Holland as Holland, but as the Netherlands. The only time we use ‘Holland’ is when talking to foreigners because for some reason that’s how our country is known to most ^^” (We also yell ‘Holland!’ during soccer matches because ‘Nederland!’ doesn’t sound quite as nice. But I digress)

Thirdly I’d like to point out that von Kees is not a family name. Kees is a first name. And I don’t think Dutch names use ‘von’. We use ‘van der’. Of course, von sounds a lot better in English, so feel free to ignore. Just thought I’d point it out in case you didn’t know..
Again, this doesn’t really matter a whole awful lot, but it did make me snicker. Especially if you consider both my father and grandfather’s calling names are Kees XD the official name for that, or baptized name (don’t know the English word) would be Cornelis Willem, in case you’re interested. In case you’re not, forgot I mentioned it.
Anyway, here’s a list with family names with their origin year next to them in case you’re interested ;) The first row are family names, the second row is the region of origin, then the time span they were used and finally some links to the people who reported these names.
http://www.oud-ophemert.nl/gelderland/d ... milyname=k

Lastly I’d like to apologize if this is waaay to much detailed information about the Netherlands and you’re just thinking ‘God, if only I had chosen another country so this crazy woman would just shut up’, then by all means, ignore what I said. It’s really not all that vital to the game and none other than Dutch people will know this.
Also I’d like you to keep in mind that I really like what you have so far and that I’m really interested in seeing what comes next. That’s why I’m trying to help you with sprouting some information about the Netherlands :) Had I not been interested, I wouldn’t have said a word.
So, take all my suggestions as a compliment and then do with them as you please ;)
Image ~ A GxB or GxG Visual Novel/Dating Sim

dstarsboy
Veteran

#62 Post by dstarsboy »

@Aleema
I agree whole-heartedly. Our game style is different enough, we should definitely move away from the "high school" VN style that I've been doing thus far.

@Jack
Incredible! The stuff you and Aleema can do with Ren'Py never ceases to amaze me.

@Chansel
I take 100% of the blame for this. The story's writer was actually very well versed on the history but I filled in some gaps that we had commented out with "#we'll add poop here later" for the demo and everything you pointed out is my poorly researched additions. We actually very much want the game to be accurate (well, for the most part... since St Marcus and all of the surrounding islands are fiction) so you bet we will make every change that you pointed out. I actually took "Kees" off of the name list you gave me... which was first names... so I should have known... and I chose Von over Van (even though the original writer had it correct) because it sounded better in English... tsk tsk tsk... bad me!

Love the feedback. The more critical, the better!

Chansel, I hope you wont mind terribly if I PM you from time to time for Netherlands advice. Aleema, I may have to PM you and find out where you keep those "japanese composers who lend their pieces out for credit" hidden! :)
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

Celestine
Veteran

#63 Post by Celestine »

I really like the music that plays for Day 1.The music is spectacular. Fine background look watercolor like. Love the bedroom setting of blue and white.
The maid uniform looked a bit short. Main room looks almost like a picture unbelievable.
Like how you have the text box showing Anton face overlap with the CG it looked very smooth within the conversation him and Celeste we're having.
Lol too bad the ending cut off I really wanted to see what would happen next.

Good demo game even though more like an intro.

P.S. I don't know so much about the history but I think it sounded well versed.
Iratherbeweird,thencalledstrange.
MydadtaughtmeinLifeEverything[/i]has consequences.Good and Bad actions/decision.