[WIP] International League of Magical Girls

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
linkdragon0
Veteran
Projects: ILoMG, Nomads

[WIP] International League of Magical Girls

#1 Post by linkdragon0 »

Okay, starting a WIP thread for the first time, just to let you all know what I've got and done to the magical girl genre. Warning, trope overdose ahead.

Story starts with Azami, a rebel who hates the fact that she's cute and boys love her. She stumbles across a box that speaks to her. Inside is a strange animal which she insults. The animal in it's anger reveals that it's not only a complete otaku but also a magical girl familiar. She then has to deal with being a magical girl on top of dealing with her already abnormal life.

Characters:

Azami: Age: 17 - Height: 5'8" - Weight: 126 lbs. - Hair: pink and purple. 17 years old and a deadpan snarker who hates being cute, popular, and a magical girl. She refers to herself with "boku" (if this was japanese) denoting she wants to be less girly. She's secretly
a huge otaku
and also hates the idea of relationships. She's extremely genre savvy. She's a major Tsun-tsun who goes Dere-dere for no one... we know of.

Bara: Age: He never said. - Height: 1'2" - Weight: 9 lbs. - Hair: Soft. He's a huge otaku and Azami's magical girl familiar. He is almost never heard without at least saying one reference to some anime, manga, or game. He is a huge fan of Moe and is constantly picked on by Azami, although they get along at the end of the day.

Emiri: Age: 17 - Height: 5'4" - Weight: She just said "Ara~ how dare you ask a lady that." - Hair: Long and black like a miko. Azami's best girl friend, roommate, and the head girl at the school. Too bad no one knows how much of a slob she is and that she is actually really airheaded. Constantly starts sentences with "ara~" and refers to herself in the third person.

Torio: Age: 17 - Height 6'2" - Weight: 152 lbs. - Hair: Brown. Messy. Azami's best friend of all time and her other roommate. He's the buttmonkey of Azami and Emiri and is constantly picking up after them and their messes. He worries for Azami. He's pretty athletic but isn't in any clubs and instead chooses to go home right after school with the girls. Many people find him attractive.

Ren: Age: 17 - Height 5'5" - Weight: 101 lbs. - Hair: long and blond. Azami's rival within the magical girl league. Her familiar is Kira, Bara's only friend that doesn't beat him up. She is headstrong, easily angered, gets jealous really easily, and jaywalks. I'd point out some good points but doesn't have many... Wait, she has good teeth!

Keiko: Age "Oh-ho~ I won't say" - Height 6' - Weight "Why do you ask big boy~?"- Hair I... Won't explain it. The president of the League. Used to be a man named Keitaro... I couldn't stay in his presence long... I got too creeped out.

Ishi: Age 3, but looks 17... Or... Well... 12...- Height 4'11 - Weight - she said her specs are at 368 lbs but her centrifuges offset it so she can weigh less. - Hair: Short, gray/white. A very unique emotionless girl. She explains what her secret is in game so you'll just have to wait for it.

Dai: A mysterious bad boy that all girls want. I couldn't get any information on him.

Okay, if you made it through that wall of text I have a question for you all, how do I upload a demo? And should I even though it's just text?

I'll be posting character sketches soon so don't worry too much, you'll see them soon.

Edit: Added links to the tropes. God help us all.
Last edited by linkdragon0 on Sat May 22, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My handle is Shoe, please use it if you prefer.

International League of Magical Girls
Story: 60%
Script: 15%
Art: 33.33%
Music: 0.002%
Comedy: <9000%

dstarsboy
Veteran

Re: [WIP] International League of Magical Girls

#2 Post by dstarsboy »

Yay, sounds like a fun story. I recommend getting sprites in there before posting a demo. Can't wait to see it!
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

linkdragon0
Veteran

#3 Post by linkdragon0 »

Alright, I gotta practice my tablet skills then.

I'll also probably be relying on everyone to keep me on track so I don't lose sight of getting it released.

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#4 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Muhahaha!

Looking forward to this. If you need an editor, I'll help you out.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

linkdragon0
Veteran

#5 Post by linkdragon0 »

Alright. Seriously, this idea has sat in the back of my head gatheringdust for years. I've already got about 2k lines of just script done and no code.

It moves fast, so I'm told, but is barely out of the introduction phase.

I do have a question for you all, not that it'll affect my plans, but who should win? Childhood friend or last girl-- erm guy wins?

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#6 Post by azureXtwilight »

Yay! A nice magical girl project! XD
About your question, I prefer the last guy wins. Well, maybe it's just me, but I feel like the childhood friend type is kinda cliché. I like the sound of "Whoa! I didn't expect that coming!"

linkdragon0
Veteran

#7 Post by linkdragon0 »

Wow, I'm surprised that people are excited to hear about this... I seriously am.

Well like I said it won't affect the story I already have planned (which is a huge subversion of a well known trope involving a tsundere) I'll try and get some of the characters posted today too.

Edit: Added three character Pictures, one of Azami (back when her name was a horrible pun...) in her magical girl outfit. and two of Ishi, one in her school clothes the other in her magical girl outfit (which doesn't appear until way far in but I drew it for the heck of it.)

Also, Ishi's wings? Made of metal, because it's a million times cooler than light. And yes they do point out that wings of metal would be completely useless and impractical.

Edit 2: Although my art style has changed since I drew Azami way back her costume is still exactly the same, she's supposed to be a cat. And yes, the goggles do nothing.
Attachments
That's a laser sword in her and and there are three more on that band that goes around her waist. Yes, laser swords. And she's pointing out that she's in her school swimsuit.
That's a laser sword in her and and there are three more on that band that goes around her waist. Yes, laser swords. And she's pointing out that she's in her school swimsuit.
Azami back when her name was a horrible pun that translated (by sound anyway...) to &quot;Bad girl&quot; and when Bara was also a pun and a cat instead of a rabbit.
Azami back when her name was a horrible pun that translated (by sound anyway...) to "Bad girl" and when Bara was also a pun and a cat instead of a rabbit.
The first one of Ishi. Doesn't she look young? You can blame that on Keiko.
The first one of Ishi. Doesn't she look young? You can blame that on Keiko.

linkdragon0
Veteran

#8 Post by linkdragon0 »

Double post for update, I'm allowed to do that right?

I've started working on the sprites, *group of bored people I paid say "yaaaay"*

I'm not going to wait until they're all done before I release the demo, just the basic ones will be done (heck for the first demo version I may even cheap out and make their faces henohenomeheji to make sure you all come back.)

Also there will be no background art for the first version and it will only consist of the first two days in the story. (which is a good amount, couple thousand words.)

I may upload some more (ancient and new) character sketches.

Depending on how quickly I improve with my tablet I hope to have the demo up in... 2 weeks?

Look forward to it.

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#9 Post by curry nochi rice »

omg... there's a lot of yuri....gxb and magic (girl) games lately... hahahah....

I'll wait for this one...
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

linkdragon0
Veteran

#10 Post by linkdragon0 »

Mine came first, just look at the date. I even thought it was weird that when I posted that someone else posted a magical girl story. But theirs had "yuri" in the title so it got more attention. XD

More information about it, it's a visual novel, not a dating sim, and so far it only has one menu which plays with the trope But thou must.

I'm planning on putting more in but there really hasn't been any spot to do so.

linkdragon0
Veteran

#11 Post by linkdragon0 »

Okay, added in a separation of arcs, you can in fact choose which boy to IGNORE, instead of choosing which to date.

Also going to put up some info on the organizations in the story.

Daijibara Corp: Ren's father's company. Large military weapons contractor.

The ILoMG: Aka the League. The group the main characters are members of, they band together to defeat angst, get their hair and nails done, and look great doing both! Keiko is the president, Ren is the vice-president, and Azami, Keiko, Ren, and Ishi make up the Magical Girl Elite Strike team, a team formed by Keiko to defeat the most powerful of all angst and to thwart our next organizations' plans.

Syntago: Believed to stand for SYNdicate for The Activation of Girls... Something, either that or it just sounds cool. The have an insane amount of money at their disposal leading to them screwing the rules and doing whatever they please. They believe angst shouldn't be fought, but embraced and used as power, so naturally all the gothic magical girls head there.

That's all for this update, I still got QUITE a bit left for the story and I gotta start getting better at digital art. I want this story to be all my own so it will have art done entirely by me, and even BGM made by me and my guitar. So there is no definite release date except when I feel i've gotten good enough at art to release it.

Hope that doesn't crush dreams, I will still release a demo soon so you can see what the story is like.

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#12 Post by Glasskitten »

This all sounds like fun! ^^
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

linkdragon0
Veteran

#13 Post by linkdragon0 »

As I am lazy and have yet to come up with any good pictures you get this picture of Azami being super-deformed.

This'll give you a little bit of knowledge on how she looks colored.

And who knows why she's confused in that picture.

And yes, the goggles, still don't do anything.

Edit, Added a sketch (really rough) of Azami that I will clean up and turn into a sprite.

Edit 2, I noticed Azami's arms are REALLY long in that sketch and I am working to fix it.

Also here is a picture of Ren to keep you entertained. Also, see if you can find Kira.
Attachments
Ah, that gun looks like fun. Yeah, this is a really old pic and her design has changed since then, but not much. I will be working on her next. And Yes I know it leans horribly, I drew it in a car two years ago.
Ah, that gun looks like fun. Yeah, this is a really old pic and her design has changed since then, but not much. I will be working on her next. And Yes I know it leans horribly, I drew it in a car two years ago.
Really rough sketch. Took, oh I dunno, 45 minutes from start to finish (Not counting my redo of her skeleton. Darn wide shoulders.) Also, please DO NOT ASK WHAT I WAS SMOKING WHEN I MADE HER CLOTHES! It fits her character so I kept them.
Really rough sketch. Took, oh I dunno, 45 minutes from start to finish (Not counting my redo of her skeleton. Darn wide shoulders.) Also, please DO NOT ASK WHAT I WAS SMOKING WHEN I MADE HER CLOTHES! It fits her character so I kept them.
It took me 40 minutes. I feel useless. But that is coloring it and everything.
It took me 40 minutes. I feel useless. But that is coloring it and everything.
Azami_chibi.jpeg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 1604 times

linkdragon0
Veteran

#14 Post by linkdragon0 »

Bump to let all you who care know it is NOT dead.

I've been working on the story and finished Torio's side of the date arc and I'm working on Dai's now.

Just letting you all know that.

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Riviera »

Looks like a great premise! *tvtropes proceeds to suck her in and she escapes some hours later*

I'd definitely play it :)
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples