[WIP] バラブ//barabu (GXB)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
muika
Projects: barabu

[WIP] バラブ//barabu (GXB)

#1 Post by muika »

Sweet Tea Productions would like to present our first new project, barabu!

Title: バラブ (barabu)
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Slice-of-life

---
Introduction:

It's been many years since I've left.
I wonder how he's been...

As an effort to stand out in the field of applicants for a prestigious boarding school, Nakajima Hatsuka moved overseas to study in America. Now, years later, she has returned to Japan after being accepted as a student.

---

Setting:

The Academy
A beautiful campus off town a little, it is famous for its fine population of bright young minds. A prestigious school only those of riches or renown get accepted inside this facility. Seeped in traditions, it has both middle school and high school enrollment. While getting in is hard, life inside is relatively carefree and lenient.

The Town
A nearby town to the school. While most students live at the school, it is possible to commute by a tram to school which a minority of students do. Lately, it's been growing in population and has now been slowly transitioning towards a bustling city. It is a popular place for students to go hang out at on the weekends.

---

Main Characters

Nakajima Hatsuka (age 16)
A brand new first year student at the academy. Cheerful and energetic, she has a sunny outlook on life. Previously, she had moved to America to study and further her dream of attending the academy. While not the brightest student overall, she was accepted thanks to a glowing recommendation from the Akiyama family and her good grades in English.

Akiyama Chiaki (age 16)
Chiaki is a childhood friend of Hatsuka- their respective families having known each other for years. Chiaki is excited that his good friend is returning after all these years abroad. Famous around school for his excellence in athletics and school, he is widely regarded as the "Prince of the Academy", something that shocks Hatsuka who remembered him as a shy little kid.

Haruta Takeshi (age 17)
The "Demon" of the school, Takeshi is a rough delinquent who often gets into fights around school and town. Loud-mouthed, abrasive, with a fierce attitude, He has an on-going rivalry with Chiaki, the two boys being on (seemingly) opposite sides of the personality spectrum. He is infamous to the point even teachers don't like to bother with him and is known for skipping class a lot.

Ramos-Housen Gael (age 17)
A half-Spanish, half-Japanese transfer student, he rooms in the same building with Hatsuka and the other "transferees". Handsome, flirtatious, and a womanizer, he likes to joke around and play around with Hatsuka. He is quite popular with the girls, and flirts with almost all the female population around school.

Amamiya Shuuto (age 15)
A young boy who looks frail and small for his age. Shuuto appears to have permanent lodgings in the hospital wing. Despite being a middle school-er and younger than the rest of the cast, he is quite intelligent and prone to making snarky remarks despite his well-mannered disposition.

Hasegawa Minoru (age 18)
A senior at the school, he is cold and aloof. Minoru is an excellent artist, and shares the elective art class with Hatsuka, being of the most skilled students there and often working with underclassman. He is a very serious no-nonsense person, with a very surprising hobby....

Sakamoto Megumi (age 16)
Megumi is assigned to guide Hatsuka on her first day and sits next to her in class. Megumi is famous around school for her beauty and kindness. She is adored by boys and girls alike, in fact there's even a "MeguRabu Fan Club" to the former's chagrin. Megumi becomes fast friends with Hatsuka, and always assists the latter in any way possible.

Side Characters

Nurse (age *don't even ask*)
A beautiful nurse who's in charge of the hospital wing. She's kind, gentle, and always welcomes anyone who comes to visit. Please don't ask her what her age is. Or if she's married. Unless you want permanent residence in the hospital, which she will kindly oblige.

Hasegawa (Placeholder name) ( age *middle school*)
Minoru's little brother. Opposite of his older brother in that he is social, carefree, and talkative. A very sporty person, he is popular with his peers.

Student Council
The student council at the school. Appearances are deceiving to say the least... Megumi works as the secretary of the student council.
President "Harumi", Vice-president "???", Treasurer "Sae", Grunt Work "???", MascotSecretary "Megumi".

---

Game Details:

Staff:
Story-planning: pyrogamer, muika
Script: pyrogamer, muika
Artist: muika
BG Artist: pyrogamer
Music: maestrosaki
Programmer: ???

Progress:
Story-planning: 50%
-Route Planning: 20%
Art:5%
Programming:0%

Updates:
6/14/10: Project unveiled!!
6/19/10: Side characters and setting up.

---

Haha, this is the conception of our first game. Even though we're still new to this, we hope to create a fun game that everyone will enjoy.

This will be a girl pursues boy (otome) game. It will be centered around Hatsuka's daily school life, spanning from her mid-year transfer in September all the way until exams in March and ending at the start of the new school term in Japan (April). There are five viable guys to end up with.

Currently, we have started to work on scripting/drawing. There may be a need to recruit later on, we'll see how it works out. Even though we're both relatively new to programming, we hope to learn and do our best. So far, there are plans to release a 'first week of school' demo by the end of this year (est. Winter 2010 release).

Thank you, and hopefully you'll play our game when it comes out! <3
Last edited by muika on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 8 times in total.

pyrogamer01
Projects: Barabu

Re: [WIP] バラブ//barabu (GXB)

#2 Post by pyrogamer01 »

Yay a WIP page for our game! I hope people find interest in it and follow our progress!

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by lepapillonrouge »

It reminds me of a shoujo manga...with a Mexican. -shot- (half-Mexican, then!)

I'd love to see the art of it if you can, actually.
deviantART
---------------------

muika

#4 Post by muika »

Haha, so true. We kind of became enamored with the school-board setting so atypical with the shoujo genre. And don't most shoujo have a foreigner exchange student? *shot* XDDD;;

Well, we do have a couple concept sketches up. There are only two currently CGed experimental drafts of two of the guys. *cough mouthful* Although all the character designs are pretty much completed.

The attached are Takeshi (blonde) and Shuuto (gray). Although the former needs aging up and the latter needs aging down. Haha, blame my moe-fied artstyle. ><;;
Attachments
ShuutoCellCasual.png
TakeshiCellCasual.png

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by lepapillonrouge »

Oh! I saw this in the Art thread >D
I wanna hug Shuuto. ...he acts a little like one of my characters, admittedly -shot-

...also...
What does barabu stand for...if I may ask?
deviantART
---------------------

pyrogamer01

#6 Post by pyrogamer01 »

I can answer this one! Bara means rose in Japanese and Rabu is an engrish form of love. We combined it together to make Barabu!

muika

#7 Post by muika »

Haha, I'd rank Shuuto as one of the more huggable characters. Reminiscent of your character? In black butterfly? *lurks a lot in these forums* n__n;;

Haha, barabu is a portmanteau of the Japanese word for rose, 'bara' and 'rabu' as in love. Haha, kind of cheesy. XD

But the original conception of this project came from a rose festival at school anyways, so we wanted to keep the rose motif in it when the project became more 'conceptualized'.

edit: Aaanddd my good buddy beat me to the punchline. XDDDDD

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by lepapillonrouge »

Yeah. He reminds me of Ritsu...except Ritsu's jerkass level is probably a lot higher. XD Plus, he's (supposed to be) short. And he's the youngest capturable guy. So yeah.

Ah. :D Barabu. Rose Love...~?It reminds me of Marimite..except with guys. GUYS. Oh, sweet, sweet men...
My (girl) cousin loves that show. I can barely stand it. I keep making fun of it.

I cannot wait! ;D Your art is adorable!
deviantART
---------------------

pyrogamer01

#9 Post by pyrogamer01 »

Yes I did. I actually refreshed the page a couple times to make sure there wasn't any post yet. But hello, lepapillonrouge! I haven't lurked as much as Muika so I don't know as much about lemmasoft forums.

Muika's art style is very cute and more consistent than mine so yeah!

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#10 Post by azureXtwilight »

Whoa! Thank you for joining our dedicated otome game makers' club! (Kidding, there is no such club) Nice art you have there! Good luck!

alberte
Veteran
Tumblr: klaruga
Deviantart: Klaruga

#11 Post by alberte »

Your drawings are indeed moe

but.. eto..

o(>< )
i'm going to draw them in my style and i'll post later.. +D

....ahh so much otome ><

I kinda think the concept of falling in love with guys.. is a demographic mainly women so
pxp
.>w<

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#12 Post by Aleema »

So many GxB! I love it! :D

Sheru-chan
Regular

#13 Post by Sheru-chan »

I fell in love with Shuuto! Nice game! It reminded me of a manga by Haruta Nana(Which i really can't remember the name).

Goodluck with your game and i'm gonna stalk this one ^^
Currently working on:
Lock On! ~Sins and Atonement~ in hiatus
GXB game.
---------------------------------------
Imouto Complex is active.

IceD
Veteran

#14 Post by IceD »

So much otome games lately... Is it just a coincidence, or the needs are raising? If so, this just mind's to start a serious business :D

Hope, you'll succed with your game. You have decent skills in art, keep it going!

Zanahoria
Regular

#15 Post by Zanahoria »

Wow, so many new otome games! That's amazing! :D

This looks really good and the character sketches are soooo cute! :D

I'm looking forward to this. ^^