The official Dryad topic

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#16 Post by PyTom »

mikey wrote:So she chooses to eat magnets for breakfast to temporarily confuse her circuits and make her make mistakes like humans.
Hm... Not sure how that would work, assuming that she's basically solid state in the memory department. Irradiation would do it, but that seems a bit harsh, and also likely to just crash the system, or at least some of the redundant modules in it. While I guess she could be programmed to make mistakes, I don't think we need to actively program for that... just letting the usual faulty programs and reasoning rules do their thing should be enough for that.
She also overheats her processors to make her body feel warm, this way however her life will shorten to around 80 years.
Hm... I would think that a problem in robot-girl design would not be bringing her up to body temperature, but rather dissapating all the heat she'd produce. Most computer systems tend to run hot, as do power systems and things like that.

80 years... call it a couple of half-lives of her power source, or something like that. Ever read Bicentennial Man? (The damn good story, not the lousy movie.)
And, she chooses to wear glasses, not to improve, but deteriorate her vision to the level that humans have it.

Once again, the answer can only be found in LOVE! :P
This is perhaps the best possible answer to this question. Well played, sir, well played.

(I'll probably split these OT posts out into their own thread in a bit... especially since Dryad is a going concern.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#17 Post by mikey »

A good idea with removing the OT bits, we are ruining this thing.

BTW, Dryad has that foxgirl picture in the updated encyclopedia now... (that was cheap ontopic right there... ^_^).

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#18 Post by monele »

Sorry for adding to the OT but my current project "Kittease" started as a all-catgirl game. It's been toned down to 2 catgirls but if there are many fans of our kitty friends, I might throw in another one :).
Just thought I'd mention that >.>

Taavimon
Regular

#19 Post by Taavimon »

My internet connection was down for the last 24 hours or so. Thanks to avoiding all of my usual pointless surfing and not having any lectures on Fridays, I managed to get the Dryad script almost done (one path left to do before coding can begin).

When I got to the H scene in one of the endings, I realised I feel really stupid when I'm writing one and decided to throw them out entirely. There's still some level of nudity in the game, though, and sex is implied in all of the good endings.

Also a new ending I hadn't originally planned happened to pop up naturally during the writing, so the game will probably have at least 6 endings.

EDIT: Just noticed that my old Hearts on Paper project is also mentioned in the encyclopedia. I actually have a complete Visual Basic test version (very basic in design, no art and there are buttons to see how much the girls like you at any given time) by Pikatung on my hard drive. I've considered turning it into a RenPy project one day, since I'm quite happy with the script, but that'll have to wait at least after Rainbow Connection.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by mikey »

Taavimon wrote:EDIT: Just noticed that my old Hearts on Paper project is also mentioned in the encyclopedia. I actually have a complete Visual Basic test version (very basic in design, no art and there are buttons to see how much the girls like you at any given time) by Pikatung on my hard drive. I've considered turning it into a RenPy project one day, since I'm quite happy with the script, but that'll have to wait at least after Rainbow Connection.
That's good to hear... Anyway, if you have a better demonstrative picture you'd like for your listed games, just send it to me, I often have to use sketches and such. Or make my own screens (see Shifted ^_^). I used that design Muto made for you, it's the only potential visual I had.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#21 Post by musical74 »

Taavimon wrote:When I got to the H scene in one of the endings, I realised I feel really stupid when I'm writing one and decided to throw them out entirely. There's still some level of nudity in the game, though, and sex is implied in all of the good endings.
Actually...that would make me want to play the game more. If you can make the game without the H scenes and still make it be top-notch...one of the best H games there is, Season of the Sakura, didn't rely on the H scenes at all...in fact it seemed to be more of an afterthought..it proves that the best games rely more on story and character development..hopefully we can see the game soon :)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#22 Post by mikey »

musical74 wrote: If you can make the game without the H scenes and still make it be top-notch...one of the best H games there is, Season of the Sakura, didn't rely on the H scenes at all...in fact it seemed to be more of an afterthought..it proves that the best games rely more on story and character development..
I agree, I found that you can make a good sex scene without explictly mentioning (in text) and depicting (in ECGs) the proceedings. I'd say even though you probably will play the games alone, dragging all the descriptions and showing off everything just kills the very intimate nature of sex.

It's a problem facing all bishoujo games. Whenever they get to the sex scene (which obviously the producer insists on being explicit), the game *always* gets it wrong. When you're into romance these kinds of descriptions never truly work, no matter how elaborately you hide it all behind "honeypots" and "manhoods".

It may work better with sex-oriented games, admittedly feeling as stupid as the plumber-fixing-the-pipes plots they have, because - somehow that's kind of the point of those titles. BUT: stupid nevertheless

A cheesy but functional metaphore is that sex is like spice in the games. If it's just the right amount, it will underline the story and make it more emotional. If you overdo it, it's just burning and spoils the whole dish - all you can do is claim it's X-tra HOT.
Taavimon wrote:When I got to the H scene in one of the endings, I realised I feel really stupid when I'm writing one and decided to throw them out entirely. There's still some level of nudity in the game, though, and sex is implied in all of the good endings.

Also a new ending I hadn't originally planned happened to pop up naturally during the writing, so the game will probably have at least 6 endings.
So back on topic - maybe the sex scene doesn't have to be thrown out completely, if it has a reason for being there, it may be just a matter of scaling down the level of detail in it. MetroBlues has scenes like this, Gakuen Redux has an approach like this and the recently translated Kira has that implied sex scene, which works as well.

Taavimon
Regular

#23 Post by Taavimon »

Well, schoolwork has still kept my progress at the same level as before (that means zero, folks), but JKensuke has posted a picture of the dryad on DeviantArt: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/25489285/

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#24 Post by mikey »

She will use a lot of shampoo though... :P
Not to mention conditioner and something for the split tips...