Consonance [9/1 Update, currently: re-structuring]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Rezznik
Regular
Projects: Aquae, Consonance

Consonance [9/1 Update, currently: re-structuring]

#1 Post by Rezznik »

To help celebrate the release of Aquae Volume 2 by R3 Productions, Ripple Visual Studios is proud to announce the production of their first true-love/bishoujo game, Consonance.

Synopsis:

We are currently restructuring the story. What I can tell you is this though, it's going to be a bishoujo game set against a supernatural mystery crime thriller. The original characters from Consonance will return, along with the heart of the story, in a high school setting. Although the game will not be out for quiet sometime, I do hope that everyone sincerely looks forward to it.

Thanks for your feedback.

Author's note:
Consonance is a deeply involving emotional visual novel that follows in the tradition of the most popular visual novels from Japan. From the same creators as the free doujin mermaid-rich series Aquae: Crystal Clear Waters, returning staff members include Hirei(art design), Rezznik (background design) and Rika (writing). Rezznik, one of the few professionally published visual novel-centric gaming journalists in America, has now taken over the reigns of the team and has guided them to the best of his knowledge and experience. He has designed Consonance with two goals in mind: 1) to help establish an English bishoujo market and 2) his love for the genre and its affairs of the heart. The story is not designed in any way, shape or form for children and is intended for mature audiences only. Recommended 17+ for swearing, use of drugs and alcohol, extreme violence and mature sexual themes*.

Character Design (by Hirei):

Image Image

Staff:
-Composer: ??? <-----THIS COULD BE YOU!
-Character design: Hirei
-CG: Hirei
-Writing: Rezznik, Rika
-Editing: Rika
-Programmers: Rika, Rezznik
-Background design: Rezznik
-Scenario: Rezznik
-Produced by: Ripple Visual

Updates:
[8/28/10]: We are currently working on the script, backgrounds, and character designs. The script is currently sitting at 17k words and counting.
[8/28/10]: I also forgot to previously mention that Consonance will be R3/Ripple's first commercial game, will provide more details as we get closer to an actual beta.
[8/30/10]: For everyone wondering, yes there will be a rather lengthy demo, and yes there will be multiple paths and characters.
[8/30/10]: Currently looking for a great composer, if you think that you're qualified then feel free to send me a PM with three-four different moods. I'm looking for someone who will be in for the long haul. Let's see where this ship takes us shall we?
[9/1/10]: Currently re-structuring, will bring more news later.

Coming: When it's done, which is still likely to be sometime before Final Fantasy Versus XIII :).
*This is not an ero-game.
Last edited by Rezznik on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:10 am, edited 36 times in total.
Online Portfolio:
Background Artist, Musical Supervisor, QA Assurance: Aquae ~Crystal Clear Waters~
To those who are wondering what happened to Consonance, it has been put aside for the time being due to my job situation.

Starling
Regular
Completed: Rapunzel, Ishara: Bane of the Seas
Organization: Happy Backwards

Re: Project Announcement: Consonance

#2 Post by Starling »

Ooo, I'm intrigued. I really like the story and their designs. Good luck :D
Completed:
Rapunzel -- Fairy Tale Kinetic Novel
(NaNoRenO '11 )
the empty orchestra
(NaNoRenO '14)
(NaNoRenO '15)

aya001
Regular

#3 Post by aya001 »

looks really interesting, I can't wait for more info and development of the game ^^

About the comment "before FF Versus XIII" XDDDDDD I HOPE SO, I've been waiting for YEARS for that game, I hope this doesn't takes that long to get released.

Rezznik
Regular

#4 Post by Rezznik »

Same here, while I personally enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII to an extent, Versus looks that much better.
Online Portfolio:
Background Artist, Musical Supervisor, QA Assurance: Aquae ~Crystal Clear Waters~
To those who are wondering what happened to Consonance, it has been put aside for the time being due to my job situation.

Rezznik
Regular

#5 Post by Rezznik »

@ Starling: If you like the story from just our little snippet, I can't wait to see what you think of the final product :).
Online Portfolio:

fortaat
Regular

#6 Post by fortaat »

Take in consideration that I'm probably older than the intended audience (which I guess is teenagers).

The story sounds bland. Of course I'm judging by a short paragraph, but this is what most potential customers will actually taste, along with a couple of pictures.

Here's what I get of the synopsis - we got the usual tough guy protagonist (who's naturally the BEST street fighter) , who meets a sensitive female pianist (who's naturally "near-perfect student in every way").
She will see through his tough guy facade and help him recover the memories of his past, and thus he'll rediscover his childhood innocence. In turn, she has some dark secret, which is the only thing about her that isn't perfect, and he will help her with it.

This sounds like a thousand other stories. What is the new and exciting thing that separates you from all the other cookie cutter games plaguing the forum?

Art - These are still sketches, so there's not much I can say. The girl is a tad generic, but cute.

Also, her right leg, from the knee down, is not right. I believe it should be tilted inwards, but I'm not sure, since there's also a problem with the area above the ankle.

Good luck with the project.

Rezznik
Regular

#7 Post by Rezznik »

fortaat wrote:Take in consideration that I'm probably older than the intended audience (which I guess is teenagers).

The story sounds bland. Of course I'm judging by a short paragraph, but this is what most potential customers will actually taste, along with a couple of pictures.

Here's what I get of the synopsis - we got the usual tough guy protagonist (who's naturally the BEST street fighter) , who meets a sensitive female pianist (who's naturally "near-perfect student in every way").
She will see through his tough guy facade and help him recover the memories of his past, and thus he'll rediscover his childhood innocence. In turn, she has some dark secret, which is the only thing about her that isn't perfect, and he will help her with it.

This sounds like a thousand other stories. What is the new and exciting thing that separates you from all the other cookie cutter games plaguing the forum?

Art - These are still sketches, so there's not much I can say. The girl is a tad generic, but cute.

Also, her right leg, from the knee down, is not right. I believe it should be tilted inwards, but I'm not sure, since there's also a problem with the area above the ankle.

Good luck with the project.
Thanks for the blessings, but unfortunately I'll have to state that you're wrong in your dialysis of the story. Although I can't go into specific details about what makes Consonance unique, as almost everything and anything that I say will be a spoiler, I will take into consideration that I need to alter the synopsis a bit in order to as you say provide a more accurate sample of the plot.
Online Portfolio:

Sakurazaki
Veteran
Projects: Aquae ~CCW~, Consonance

#8 Post by Sakurazaki »

@Fortaat: Rezz has already said all I was going to say about the storyline so the only thing I have left to say is that I'll probably fix the leg sometime. I've been meaning to but have been quite busy with the recent release of Aquae Arc II and all.
ARC I - Summer Lights: Image
ARC II - Ocean Tide: Image

CaesMRaenes
Regular
Projects: 軽い夏, The Aces

#9 Post by CaesMRaenes »

I like the sound of this and how the art looks. It looks promising and, from the snippet you've shown and what was discussed, I'm rather eager to see how this story will turn out. I'm curious: are we talking slice-of-life here or is it safe to assume that this story isn't really based in reality (not fantasy but over-the-top reality)?
a.k.a. DragonfaeryYume on dA
The Vault in the Sky (Dev Blog)

Projects:
WIP The Aces
WIP (Head Artist) 軽い夏: The Sun Will Shine Through (tentative title)

Rezznik
Regular

#10 Post by Rezznik »

CaesMRaenes wrote:I like the sound of this and how the art looks. It looks promising and, from the snippet you've shown and what was discussed, I'm rather eager to see how this story will turn out. I'm curious: are we talking slice-of-life here or is it safe to assume that this story isn't really based in reality (not fantasy but over-the-top reality)?
Although I'm not fond of giving away any potential spoilers, I can safely tell you now that it's going to be a slice-of-life story as the characters are going to be very much grounded in reality as I drew my inspiration from a lot more American films, such as Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World, the (new) Karate Kid, etc. than Japanese anime. However, that doesn't mean there there won't be any fantasy elements involved. You'll just have to wait and see :). Can't tell you much more than that right now though I'm afraid.
Online Portfolio:

Sakurazaki
Veteran
Projects: Aquae ~CCW~, Consonance

Re: Project Announcement: Consonance [8/30 Update]

#11 Post by Sakurazaki »

Consonance is now looking for a qualified composer!
ARC I - Summer Lights: Image
ARC II - Ocean Tide: Image

Simulacro
Regular

Re: Consonance [8/30 Update, NOW HIRING: Composer]

#12 Post by Simulacro »

I'm going to have to agree with fortaat. If there is something else under the hood (and there should be) it should probably be hinted more. You have to carefully strike the balance between not spoiling anything and convincing the reader there is something new to be found in it.

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Working on ミツマタ [Mitsumata (c)].

Re: Consonance [8/30 Update, NOW HIRING: Composer]

#13 Post by kinougames »

I'm going to have to agree with fortaat and simulacro. I'm not a teenager either, and I actually do usually like bishoujo games that kind of go in a different direction, but the synopsis here really smacks of old 90s anime, and while I adore those anime, it's a fair bit overdone.

It's also rather extremely high school, and though you've got it at 17+, 17 is the end of high school, and I'm not sure that you'll be able to get a massive interest above the age of 20 with that summary.
Check out the new interactive media project, Mitsumata(c). Follow 8 colorful characters in a story full of drama, horror, all sexualities and exciting gameplay~!

Development blog's up! Visit!

PrettySammy09
Veteran

Re: Consonance [9/1 Update, currently: re-structuring]

#14 Post by PrettySammy09 »

I'm also not a teenager (well, I'm 19, so I guess I'm technically a teenager, but I'm no longer in High School), but I don't think this sounds all that bland at all.

I don't care if something is overdone as long as it's done well. :) I'd prefer to play something with recognizable tropes/a recognizable story that's good over something experimental and crappy.

And this looks like it's going to be done REALLY well, so yeah, that's my two cents.

Good luck! <3

Raijenki
Regular

Re: Consonance [9/1 Update, currently: re-structuring]

#15 Post by Raijenki »

Coming: When it's done, which is still likely to be sometime before Final Fantasy Versus XIII .
*This is not an ero-game.
I'd definitely buy it if it were a ero-game. Loved the design.
Although I'm not fond of giving away any potential spoilers, I can safely tell you now that it's going to be a slice-of-life story as the characters are going to be very much grounded in reality as I drew my inspiration from a lot more American films, such as Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World, the (new) Karate Kid, etc. than Japanese anime. However, that doesn't mean there there won't be any fantasy elements involved. You'll just have to wait and see . Can't tell you much more than that right now though I'm afraid.
Personal opinion: but for thrillers, horror, mystery and crime, I think a story without fantasy would be a lot better than the one with fantasy. The reason? The writers would need to be more ellaborate in order to make the story real and interesting.

Anyway, I'll look forward to it.