(WIP)The Metro(WIP) *Update*

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
sinto
Regular

(WIP)The Metro(WIP) *Update*

#1 Post by sinto » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:56 am

Hey guys, I just like to share a KN I'm working on.

This game is more or less a tribute to the universe of the french comic book "Blacksad".

In case you haven't figured it out, characters are depicted as animal people.

Plot: In the small urban world of Marquez City where everyone is addicted to wine, a series of grisly murders believed to be caused by a horrible curse, is being pinned towards the Sallieri Family, the family that's the financial and beverage backbone of the city. A young and laid back cat named Marco Sanchez who is adopted into the Sallieris discovers information that makes sense of everything, information that can either save everyone, or cause a catastrophic end to everything.

As mentioned above, it's a kinetic novel, meaning it's a linear narrative.

Originally, this used to be a comic, but since I realized that I didn't enjoy making comics but love to tell this story, I decided to interpret it through this amazing medium since I'm actually having more fun doing it this way. I'm pretty noob at programming, but I just love telling stories through this medium. And thank god I found the renpy engine! ;)

For the moment, I' m a one man army.

I'm the illustrator, the programmer, the BGM composer and the writer. This'll definitely take a long time, that's why I decided to make a release by volumes. It's hard, but fun nevertheless, and that's what important right?

Currently, I am making the 1st volume, which encompasses the first four chapters. I realized that the production of volume one will be the most work demanding and the most time consuming since everything is being built from the ground up(UI, backgrounds, sound effects, character illustration).
However, I made this thread to get constructive criticisms on technical stuff :)

I'll release a demo soon, the non-proof read one, so expect grammar errors :D.

::STUFF::
1. Blog - http://metrovn.blogspot.com/
2. SAMPLE BGM - http://www.mediafire.com/?pn38ajt41xjkjze
3. Opening Cutscene - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm7MSv0iCdw ::Finally, after a week of labor (also due to weather conditions) I've finally finished the first cutscene for the game. This simply means that with that out of the way, the Demo will finally come in 1 to 3 days; I just need to fix some things up before the release. Doing this video made me realize something. It's tedious alright, but more importantly, it eats up a huge chunk of time supposedly devoted for the game's production itself. SO I've made a decision to include only one cut scene per release.::
4. Demo - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?o7k8y8nnfs656bm ::Finally, Here's the demo. It's currently only available for windows, because uploading in media fire takes too long. I'll prolly upload the mac and linux versions tomorrow. This demo contains the prologue and the whole of chapter 1. This also is the un-proof read version. I'd like to apologize for not addressing the type face mistakes of the opening video for this release. Those mistakes shall be addressed in the final release. Thank you and enjoy the Demo :).::

That said, here illustrations and screenshots from the current WIP:

Last edited by sinto on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:13 am, edited 5 times in total.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Re: (WIP)The Metro(WIP)

#2 Post by azureXtwilight » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:07 pm

Y-You have a wonderful art....

Even though all I can do is cheer you on, I will do it!
I like your art! This is going to be a great gothic KN!

(By the way, I can't see this as a GXB...Wrong thread? Oh well :mrgreen: )

sinto
Regular

#3 Post by sinto » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:25 pm

azureXtwilight wrote:Y-You have a wonderful art....

Even though all I can do is cheer you on, I will do it!
I like your art! This is going to be a great gothic KN!

(By the way, I can't see this as a GXB...Wrong thread? Oh well :mrgreen: )
Whoops! I'm sorry, it seems that I've posted on the wrong section (What's a GxB? Sorry I'm not well informed), I just realized that there is a non GxB "Work in progress".

Hm, sorry for the trouble, but can I request this to be move on the correct forum?

Asterisk
Regular

#4 Post by Asterisk » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:30 pm

GxB means games that you play as a girl main character to date boys/go for a boy character xD

But wow, this looks really impressive.
The art... it's so refreshing! It's really unique!

This is going to be a great KN! Rootin' for ya~
Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat.

HumbertTheHorse
Regular
Projects: ... ...

#5 Post by HumbertTheHorse » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:33 pm

Love the art. Going to look forward to the demo.

fortaat
Regular

#6 Post by fortaat » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:56 pm

sinto wrote:I made this thread to get constructive criticisms on technical stuff :)
First, the obvious - amazing art is fucking amazing. Even if you don't make this a commercial project (which I recommend) - this can definitely go to your portfolio.

Enough with superlatives:

* I'm not too fond of Renpy's default font, it seems disconnected from the game's atmosphere. It really shows on the sixth pic, in which it contrasts against the older fonts.

* The forth picture - it's not really clear what happens on the right side of the green building. The lack of shadowing on the green building, on the side facing the viewer, makes the two building look like they're on the same plane.
Ughh... here's what I mean:

* Third pic - I think it looks better without the brown background behind the name:

Good luck.

Ametrya
Regular
Projects: Return to my life

#7 Post by Ametrya » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Whoa.
Good luck :D

sinto
Regular

#8 Post by sinto » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:16 pm

fortaat wrote:
sinto wrote:I made this thread to get constructive criticisms on technical stuff :)
First, the obvious - amazing art is fucking amazing. Even if you don't make this a commercial project (which I recommend) - this can definitely go to your portfolio.

Enough with superlatives:

* I'm not too fond of Renpy's default font, it seems disconnected from the game's atmosphere. It really shows on the sixth pic, in which it contrasts against the older fonts.

* The forth picture - it's not really clear what happens on the right side of the green building. The lack of shadowing on the green building, on the side facing the viewer, makes the two building look like they're on the same plane.
Ughh... here's what I mean:

* Third pic - I think it looks better without the brown background behind the name:

Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback! I guess I should look for a more, old fashioned but still readable font?

As for the building, nothing a bit of photoshop can't handle.

(btw, should I make a new topic in the ordinary WIP section? Or should I carry on here? Its really very awkward knowing now that GxB means Girl x Boy XD )

Melkoshi
Regular
Projects: Jewels of Sytinane

#9 Post by Melkoshi » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:42 am

The art is really eye catching. Not only is it different, it's STUNNING.
--- My DeviantArt.
Game in Progress for demo-teaser:
story(script) = 45%
sprites = 100%
programming(interface) = 35%
CGs = 0%
Backgrounds = 5%
Music/sound = 0%

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#10 Post by MaiMai » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:38 am

Gonna echo what everyone said, the art is quite good. In fact, it's the very sort of art I admire even above anime because I love traditionally made or traditional looking illustrations. I'm expecting this to be like a twisted picture book *A*
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#11 Post by Morhighan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:13 pm

This looks fantastic, I'm quite excited to read it. I'm curious about what you are wanting to do for the BGM--are you going to be using a program? Good luck!

sinto
Regular

#12 Post by sinto » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:13 am

Morhighan: Flstudio :)

Phosis
Regular
Projects: The Polaris Account, The Color Of Misery

#13 Post by Phosis » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:59 am

This looks absolutely fantastic!

The artwork is gorgeous. I don't know much about that comic at all, but just reading some of the lines present here (Shitty Benny, hehe) make me want to check this out.

Great job!
If you made the effort to attempt to read this, you have far too much time on your hands. Good job, slacker.

Cielocchi

#14 Post by Cielocchi » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:15 pm

I know I'm just repeating everyone else, but the art is simply amazing. Especially the backgrounds, they have a certain watercolor-ish feeling to them. Also, I like how the character's are not "human". Something different is always good! >=>

Going to keep an eye on this thread~ I can't wait to play the game > v <
Good Luck!

sinto
Regular

#15 Post by sinto » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:03 pm

Hey guys, I managed to come up with something in my spare time.
For those curious about how the BGM is gonna sound in this KN, I've made a collage of a few of the BGM's in the game (some are still in debate whether or not they will be used)

Here's the link http://www.mediafire.com/?pn38ajt41xjkjze

On the other hand I also forgot to include in the first post that I have a blog to keep track of the game's progress.

http://metrovn.blogspot.com/

Thanks for showing support, even though it's still in its early stages :)