Yuri VN - Artist Needed!

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Five_X

Yuri VN - Artist Needed!

#1 Post by Five_X »

The Yuri Visual Novel With No Name...

What is this? It's a yuri visual novel, taking place somewhere in Canada, at a high school. The (sort of) unnamed main character starts off the school year bored and with nothing to look forward to. On her second day back at school, an old friend of hers asks her to join her fledgling club; the Theatre and Acting Club. From there she meets more girls (and one guy), and they progress through the school year performing plays and making movies. And eventually, our protagonist finds herself having strange feelings for her fellow club members. The question is, how will they react?

See http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?di ... mpa&page=1 for much more information. There is another visual novel idea tucked away in there, but it's for another day.

Some features of this are subversive choices: what puts you toward a certain route won't always be obvious. By not studying, you could end up having to spend time after school to finish work, and find that one of the heroines is also there. There are also "fluff" choices that don't affect much, but add to replay value and may have slight repercussions later. There will also be multiple different flags and variables for each girl, and an extra set in their own routes for their parents' opinions. A point of this VN is not only to offer a fun, comedic yuri visual novel but to also show what lesbians and bisexuals have to deal with in society, especially in high school.

Note that this is not an eroge, but it will have fanservice, 'cause yuri is hawt.

I am the lead writer, and there are other various staff recruited already. What's really needed is someone who can draw, mostly CGs and characters. Backgrounds will likely be photographs unless something weird happens or the artist recruited happens to be really really awesome at background art. A musician would also be nice, if you have good recording equipment. Otherwise, I'll be making the music with a few other people, mostly made up of guitar (acoustic and electric), piano, and possibly violin.

Thanks for reading!

Lekhaka
Regular

Re: Yuri VN - Artist Needed!

#2 Post by Lekhaka »

Canada, EH?

CaesMRaenes
Regular
Projects: 軽い夏, The Aces

#3 Post by CaesMRaenes »

I have to say: your ideas from the link was spinning like crazy that it would be interesting if you can pull it off. But a few things I gotta pick on here:
1. Why Theater/Acting club? It makes me think Clannad. I think you should go with something more original like a Science Club or even a Think Team which combines a whole buttload plus information.
2. And if there's just fanservice and no eroge, it's not yuri, it's shoujo-ai. I don't why that bugged me but I'm just putting it out there.
a.k.a. DragonfaeryYume on dA
The Vault in the Sky (Dev Blog)

Projects:
WIP The Aces
WIP (Head Artist) 軽い夏: The Sun Will Shine Through (tentative title)

After All

#4 Post by After All »

Wow, I'm kinda torn between my love of GxG and my apprehension about GxG written by men.
/is apparently terribly sexist D:

Five_X

#5 Post by Five_X »

Actually, yuri refers to both sexual and non-sexual GxG. The terms just were twisted around to better mirror yaoi. Shoujo-ai is just a newer, more particular term that refers to completely non-sexual yuri.

Also, Clannad's use of the drama club was a tangent at best. It was more of a plot device to link the characters than a central part of the plot, which the theatre club will be in this VN. It's more similar to Kira Kira than Clannad, definitely.

Plus it averts the very overused "oh noes our club is going to disband!", partially due to the Canadian setting.

Lekhaka
Regular

#6 Post by Lekhaka »

Canadian clubs are immune to disbandment? :shock:

Sorry with the trivial question...just curious. :)

Ametrya
Regular
Projects: Return to my life

#7 Post by Ametrya »

High school AU of the bible? I'm interested.
Sadly I can't offer any art.

Five_X

#8 Post by Five_X »

In most Canadian schools, a club can have just a few members and still exist, it just has to do genuine club activities.

Yeah, High School AU of the Bible. It's the second project (probably) after this one.

Mikan
Veteran

#9 Post by Mikan »

Five_X wrote:Actually, yuri refers to both sexual and non-sexual GxG.
Actually, if we are going to be accurate to the Japanese terms, something like this would be called "Girls Love", as the word ゆり(百合) most commonly refers to this flower:

It is secondly most commonly used as a girl's first name.

Only in dorky nerd circles (>1% of the population lol) is it a slang for "stories with the theme of girls who are into girls".

Unfortunately I couldn't agree more with:
After All wrote:Wow, I'm kinda torn between my love of GxG and my apprehension about GxG written by men. /is apparently terribly sexist D:
minus any love for the GxG genre.
Most of the stories in this genre are very contrived.
I hope you are going to do something to go against the tradition of lousy story lines to make something interesting.

Five_X

#10 Post by Five_X »

The entire point of this is to not be like most yuri stories. It will be comedic, 'cause otherwise it wouldn't be particularly fun to write, but will definitely have a good amount of drama in it.

Some of the more notable parts that go against yuri standards are...

Being set in Canada.
Being set in a normal high-school, not a lame all-girls' place.
Having a snarky protagonist.
Having a "Bromantic Foil" style character.
Dealing with issues faced by lesbians/bisexuals in real life.
Having a good number of male characters.
Avoiding subtext like the plague.
Having parents as actual characters.

And more! Though it is definitely aimed at a male demographic, and has a good amount of fanservice, but no ero material.