Old Topic - Please Don't Post

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Ruruka-chan
Regular

Re: (Updated) Memoirs of an Angel [Demo - Feedback Requested

#31 Post by Ruruka-chan »

I get ending 6, is this Kirile´s love ending ?

broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

#32 Post by broken_angel »

To Pyonkotchi:
Hehe, it's true, isn't it? Going with the dangerous guy is always more fun and exciting. xP

Anyway, thank you for the feedback. C:

To papillon:
The choices in the beginning ("brilliant strategist," "defender of the people," etc.) are just to determine what "personality" you have, which then impacts 1) which stats you start out with, 2) which mini-game or side quest you're able to play throughout the game, and 3) your ability to view a few certain personality-specific scenes with the love interests.
So choosing "defender of the people" is just choosing the "kind" personality; other than mentioned above, it doesn't affect anything else (like the actual story).

I do, however, understand your concerns. In fact, I was already planning to implement a new system, if I ever made an extended or RPG version, where you would be able to earn reputation (and money) by taking on jobs (like clearing out bandits, catching a specific criminal, rebuilding a house, finding a missing person, etc.) posted by villages. When starting out, you'll have very limited jobs/requests to choose from, but as your reputation grows, more advanced opportunities open up. As your reputation grows, your popularity also increases, until it's actually the people who suggest that you take back the throne, and that's when the goal changes to defeating Nefferon.

Though realistically, even in this game, you would be going around helping the people here, too...it's just that that takes place during all those big chunks of time that I skipped for the sake of advancing the plot. xD

To Ruruka-chan:
Nope, Ending 6 is just his good, non-romantic ending. His romantic ending is Ending 5.

ixWishing
Veteran

#33 Post by ixWishing »

i just found this game/WIP yesterday & its AMAZING ! ♥
LOL, while chatting with the guys, i noticed the heart colors changed, what an cute idea! O w O ; ;
it reminded me of Harvest Moon, LOL o3o
Anyways, the game is amazing, so is the graphics! ^^~ .
(kk back to playing =3= )
- Everlasting Dreams ;

broken_angel
Veteran

#34 Post by broken_angel »

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. ^^

Heh, and yes, I'm an avid Harvest Moon fan. Those games are what got me into dating sims. >w<
So yeah, I kind of borrowed it a bit from that. I plan to do the same with my next game, too.

To everyone:
I added the download for a detailed walkthrough to the first post.
It would probably take almost as long (if not longer) to read the guide than it would take to play the game...xD
But it's there in case anyone needs help with the choices or whatever.

icebluehost
Regular
Projects: The Aces

#35 Post by icebluehost »

I am definitely going to try this out!! Unfortunately my net is really slow so it might take a while. I'll probably download this when I go to school (they have faster net there). From what I could see so far, it looks like a very interesting game. One I'm sure I'll enjoy loads. ^^

Ruruka-chan
Regular

#36 Post by Ruruka-chan »

Aha then I need a walkthrough.V-V

aya001
Regular

#37 Post by aya001 »

Thanks for the walkthrough I REALLY needed it. Now, to get all the endings ^^

Ok, I need help. How come the only end from Kirile I get is 6, I want the romantic one, but there is no way to get it.
What I do... I'm a warrior, I get his red heart, get his necklance, and he comes with me to the ball. The fight with Neferon (automatic, i don't have to select any option), and I win. The end I get is the one he returns to kill dragons and comes to visit, some times.... And the other end I got is the one he get's killed because I lost with neferon. But the romantic one T_T. What I do wrong?

Arithra
Regular
Completed: Finding a prom date

#38 Post by Arithra »

First of all I on't think that your graphics are that simple, The character oictures are awesome for sure. The only thing bothering me was the way they were mirrored. It was kinda strange to see the eyepatch changing sides during the game.

I also got an error message, I'm not sure someone has posted it before so I will put it as a spoiler. It occured after I interupted the game and went to Extras from the main menu.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

IOError: Couldn't find file 'BasicBackground.png'.

While running game code:
 - script at line 55 of C:\Users\Cera\Desktop\renpy-6.11.1\GardenGame/game/script.rpy
 - python at line 136 of C:\Users\Cera\Desktop\renpy-6.11.1\GardenGame/game/script.rpy.
 - python at line 258 of C:\Users\Cera\Desktop\renpy-6.10.2\GardenGame/game/new_gallery.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 254, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\main.py", line 310, in main
  File "C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\main.py", line 93, in run
  File "C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\execution.py", line 259, in run
  File "C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\ast.py", line 574, in execute
  File "C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\python.py", line 957, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "C:\Users\Cera\Desktop\renpy-6.11.1\GardenGame/game/script.rpy", line 136, in <module>
  File "C:\Users\Cera\Desktop\renpy-6.10.2\GardenGame/game/new_gallery.rpy", line 258, in show
  File "C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\ui.py", line 216, in interact
  File "C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 1608, in interact
  File "C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 1799, in interact_core
  File "C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 262, in predict
  File "C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 236, in visit_all
  File "C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 262, in <lambda>
  File "C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\display\im.py", line 459, in predict_one
  File "C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\display\im.py", line 197, in get
  File "C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\display\im.py", line 488, in load
  File "C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\loader.py", line 319, in load
IOError: Couldn't find file 'BasicBackground.png'.

While running game code:
 - script at line 55 of C:\Users\Cera\Desktop\renpy-6.11.1\GardenGame/game/script.rpy
 - python at line 136 of C:\Users\Cera\Desktop\renpy-6.11.1\GardenGame/game/script.rpy.
 - python at line 258 of C:\Users\Cera\Desktop\renpy-6.10.2\GardenGame/game/new_gallery.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.11.1b
Please visit my projects Perios- Chained Sorceress
and Final Banquet now with demo!

And my blog for more updates!

broken_angel
Veteran

#39 Post by broken_angel »

To aya001:

Oops, turns out that it was a script error on my part. I accidentally had different variables on one of the scripts, so the red heart for Chael and Kirile showed up before it should have (by about 100 points...big oops).

Now that I know that, though, I might lower it back down since I adjusted them based on how long it took me, personally, to get a red heart level...

To Arithra:

Thanks for pointing that out. 'Tis fixed now. C:

As for the mirroring thing...yeah, it bothers me a little, too. Not just Kirile's eye patch, but also Chael's face tattoo.
But it would have been too difficult for the artist to switch it (or rather, I didn't want to pay for the extra work), and it's not that big of an issue, so it'll probably stay as-is.

Sublime

#40 Post by Sublime »

Played through a bit today and obtained most of the endings with the different guys, so I thought I'd give you a bit of feedback. Hopefully it helps. :) I really enjoyed playing it, and it was time well spent!

The story, on the whole, was very interesting. It did feel a bit rushed and too fast-paced. (Ways to fix this could be to add more conversation between the characters, perhaps thereby inserting more character development, perhaps? Played a bunch of VNs, but never made one, so I'm not sure how much my advice might benefit you.) What I liked about it was the concept of the story and how the beginning was presented in a manner that really reeled me in and caught my interest. I loved the Duren/Nefferon story arc which I felt, contrary to the Kirile/Chael one, was well-paced and well-explained.

The main character was great. I really enjoyed her personality which strayed off the over-the-top strong heroine and damsel-in-distress paths we see too many stories use, so in that respect she is not cliche and semi-memorable. All of the dialogue options given to her made sense and seemed like realistic decisions she would choose between. They were also pretty self-explanatory and I didn't see much of a need to even peek at the walkthrough which is always a plus. Keeping in mind the fact that you said you intentionally didn't fully expand on the characters, I would say Nefferon was the best and most memorable follow by Chael who was semi-memorable, Duren who wasn't very memorable, and then Kirile who, while not cliche, I felt was unmemorable. Delving more into the specific characters would probably fix these problems, though.

What I liked about the game:
Nefferon's path was amazing. I suspected he was lying about 'The Order,' but like the main character, I wanted to believe him. I was mildly surprised when he revealed the truth and stabbed her... But that was great! It fit his character perfectly. I couldn't picture him asking her to marry him. It seemed to me this was the only truly proper ending for the two of them. I thought you did a great job portraying as much and think you developed it well. You completely caught me by surprise with this, by the way, because when I saw him first I was thinking I'd play him last because I figured I would like him the least. But actually his storyline was pretty squee-worthy for me. The art was sprites were beautiful, the backgrounds were good, CG art was cute, and the music fit well. The minigames were neat, and stats were easy to identify, understand, and obtain.
What I didn't like about the game:
Kirile's path bored me and felt a little lacking. He was the first guy I went after (I know, I know, he just looked so awesome, I could hardly pick between him and Chael...) But I digress. Nothing about him particularly caught me by surprise, he was fairly predictable and nothing about him wowed me through the storyline. It was a huge contrast to Nefferon's story which I enjoyed so much. The way the sprites mirror, as I think someone else said, felt a bit weird. At times the storyline felt under-developed and rushed.
As much as I like the plot and would love to see you expand on it, I'm a sucker for romance. If it focused on it less, I probably wouldn't be interested in playing unless it was really captivating. Customization isn't a big deal to me. Hairstyles and outfits would be neat, but not necessary. Fancy graphics aren't really important either, though I do place some amount of importance in character art, the most important thing is the plot/storyline/development/characters.

My favorite character is Nefferon. :D He is pure awesomeness. I am a fangirl now. Minigames were probably too easy for my taste, but you don't want them to be too challenging, either. As for the endings, I believe I obtained all of the good ones for all of the character. (Definitely did for Nefferon, Kirile, and Chael. Think I did for Duren...) Chael's ending seemed like the true ending because it seemed more realistic and tied together the story better. In the story arc with Chael/Kirile, you can feel it leans a bit toward Chael but not overbearingly so.

broken_angel
Veteran

#41 Post by broken_angel »

Updated version posted~

To Sublime:

Wow, thank you for the detailed feedback!

Sadly enough, I ended up liking Nefferon's path the best, too, even though it killed me to write it. xD
And actually, the real true ending for the story that I took this from is a mix of Chael's bad ending and Nefferon's ending. So Zuleika starts off traveling with Chael and Kirile...Nefferon comes, captures her, executes them...then, with Chael out of the way, he forces her to marry him, which ultimately ends with the finale seen in his path after a long, drawn-out struggle between them.
Yeah...talk about tragic heroine.

Anyway, I can't wait to get the CG art for that final scene with him; it should be great. *o*
As for the Kirile thing...
Unfortunately, he's kind of supposed to be predictable. That's just his character: what you see is what you get. All that stuff about his best friend being the one to cut his eye out was actually added for this game (it wasn't originally in the story...but I ended up liking it, so now it is xD) just for the sake of giving him some character depth.
I'll try to work on that if I ever rewrite/remake the game (which is a good possibility at this point).

Sublime

#42 Post by Sublime »

No problem! Hope it helped some. I'm going to be trying to shoot for some of the bad endings now (even though I should really be doing homework, yay for procrastination!).
Frankly, that ending sounds awesome. Maybe I'm just a sucker for tragic heroines... Or a Nefferon fangirl... Either way, I would love to read that. I'm anxious to see the rest of the CGs, as well. Especially that one. ;3 I don't even know if this should be in spoiler tags, but oh well, it is!

dreamlessnights

#43 Post by dreamlessnights »

When I'm on Kirile's path and I accept the necklace he gives me, I get this error after the scene with the invitation to the ball from Nefferon.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

NameError: name 'tournament3_done' is not defined

While running game code:
- script at line 6753 of C:\Users\Cera\Desktop\renpy-6.11.1\GardenGame/game/AllscriptA.rpy
- python at line 6762 of C:\Users\Cera\Desktop\renpy-6.11.1\GardenGame/game/AllscriptA.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Users\home\games now\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 254, in bootstrap
File "C:\Users\home\games now\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\main.py", line 310, in main
File "C:\Users\home\games now\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\main.py", line 93, in run
File "C:\Users\home\games now\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\execution.py", line 259, in run
File "C:\Users\home\games now\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\ast.py", line 1133, in execute
File "C:\Users\home\games now\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\exports.py", line 371, in menu
File "C:\Users\home\games now\MemoirsofanAngel-1.0-all\renpy\python.py", line 994, in py_eval
File "C:\Users\Cera\Desktop\renpy-6.11.1\GardenGame/game/AllscriptA.rpy", line 6762, in <module>
NameError: name 'tournament3_done' is not defined

While running game code:
- script at line 6753 of C:\Users\Cera\Desktop\renpy-6.11.1\GardenGame/game/AllscriptA.rpy
- python at line 6762 of C:\Users\Cera\Desktop\renpy-6.11.1\GardenGame/game/AllscriptA.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.11.1b

I went back and tried not accepting Kirile's necklace and everything went fine. Oo But then I wouldn't be able to get his romantic ending. D:

broken_angel
Veteran

#44 Post by broken_angel »

To sublime:

It did help. :o

To dreamlessnights:

Dang, that one place keeps messing up. ^^;;

I've fixed it for the next release, though. Thanks for pointing it out.
(And actually, you can technically still get his ending even without accepting his gift, since the requirement for the ending is based solely on whether you have a Red Heart Level or not.)

nefferinthia
Regular

#45 Post by nefferinthia »

I've played through two endings so far and am really liking it~!
The art quality is exceptional, especially for a free game and I like the story as well; there are not enough fantasy-like VNs!
I thought the pacing was a bit off at times though for example when you suddenly say weeks have passed it doesn't really feel like that. But really, no further complaints; it's very nicely done <3
(And dear God, Nefferon's ending was really awesome times infinity)