[WIP?] Starlit Dreams (B/GxB/G)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

Re: [WIP] Starlit Dreams (B/GxB/G) - [Looking for Voice Acto

#61 Post by broken_angel »

I'm not looking for an intro song or anything, sorry. ^^;

I listened to your voice and..........you may want to kill me, but I think you'd be great for Caine.
In the sample you provided, the lower-pitched of the two voices was perfect, and it's quite common for girls to voice the parts of young boys. :3

I'll message you when I have a clearer idea of what lines and such I want you to voice. ^^

Update:

Ein's character art is finished!

I've also gotten most of the main map programming done, so I'm right on track with what I was hoping to accomplish this week.

So here's a question for the people here:
Would you rather play an incomplete demo that would display most of the important features, but would leave out things like character traits, shopping, gifting, and mini-games; or would you rather wait longer and play a complete demo that would look and feel exactly as it would in the final game?

With a free game like this, a demo is really just a WIP showing of the game, so in my opinion, the first demo doesn't need to be complete. After all, I can always update it whenever I get more done. And I would rather get feedback early on in the process; if I had gotten some valuable feedback during the early stages of Memoirs, I'm sure the whole thing would have turned out ten times better. However, this could also be achieved by just giving the demo to a few beta testers instead...but then I lose out on the variety of opinions I could get by releasing it on the forum.

Anyway, what do you guys think? C:

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#62 Post by Nellie »

Demo ASAP! xD (Sue me, but I'm just impatient lol)

And no, I'm currently studying/working in London, but I have a strong Chinese accent. I can do Japanese accent but too bad I'm not a guy =( I can't do British accent (to be honest, I don't know how British accents are xD) but I have a few friends who have very nice Irish accent who work as phone operators. Let me know if you're interested =D

I like Ein too... Gonna try and get a chibi of him done too! My question is: Which is the 'default' design? =3

broken_angel
Veteran

#63 Post by broken_angel »

Hehe. xP

Ah, I see.
I think I actually found my British accent voice, so it's okay. :3

And the "default" is the first one there, with the black jacket and short hair.
Yay for another chibi~ ^o^

Aetheria
Regular

#64 Post by Aetheria »

broken_angel wrote:So here's a question for the people here:
Would you rather play an incomplete demo that would display most of the important features, but would leave out things like character traits, shopping, gifting, and mini-games; or would you rather wait longer and play a complete demo that would look and feel exactly as it would in the final game?

With a free game like this, a demo is really just a WIP showing of the game, so in my opinion, the first demo doesn't need to be complete. After all, I can always update it whenever I get more done. And I would rather get feedback early on in the process; if I had gotten some valuable feedback during the early stages of Memoirs, I'm sure the whole thing would have turned out ten times better. However, this could also be achieved by just giving the demo to a few beta testers instead...but then I lose out on the variety of opinions I could get by releasing it on the forum.

Anyway, what do you guys think? C:
Well, a demo is really incomplete by definition, so I don't think there's many expectations about what should be in it... :) I think it makes the most sense to release a demo whenever a) you have enough content to get people excited about the final game, and b) you've implemented enough features for the demo to generate useful feedback. It sounds like you would rather put out a demo and get opinions earlier than later, so I say go for it.

And, updating the demo later might be good anyway, as it'll keep the fans happy. :wink:

broken_angel
Veteran

#65 Post by broken_angel »

Thanks for the comments. C:

It'll still be a while before it's ready for release (sorry for the tease, har har),
but I'll probably release it once I get the main introduction done. :3

...Not sure that it will "get people excited about the final game," but I'll hope for the best. xP

nefferinthia
Regular

#66 Post by nefferinthia »

I won't kill you xD The lines I read are from a fanfiction; and the second character is a snarky teenage boy so I'm more flattered than anything ^^
I'd be very glad to participate, just message me whenever you need me ;]

broken_angel
Veteran

#67 Post by broken_angel »

Haha, good. xD

I'm making good progress on the game, though actual forward progress has been stalled a bit because I decided to re-do my screen layout...again. >.>
[/OCD]

My biggest fear at this point is that the player will have so much time on their hands that they'll get bored too quickly.
Most Ren'py dating sims I've seen are schedulers - you decide what you want to focus on for the week, and then the week flashes by.
...This game isn't like that. You have different locations to go to and explore, and then different actions that you can do while in those locations. Work will, of course, take up most of your time each day (at least on weekdays), but other actions are evaluated on a semi-real-time basis. For instance, if you choose to go somewhere in another part of town, it will take 10 minutes of your time. Talking to someone takes 2 minutes. Skill-building actions like researching and working out take around 1-2 hours and cost differing amounts of energy. If you run out of energy or stay out too late, then your health will suffer...so on and so forth.

*ahem*
Anyway...
Just ignore my rambling. C:

chelxoxo
Regular
Projects: Fantasia RoT novelisation, editor for Fantasia 3... and a secret :p

#68 Post by chelxoxo »

Ho hum, Ms Angel. I'm British, and I'd love to contribute! :D I know you said that you have a British voice already, but if you need another south England girl's voice, I'd love to help out~ :3
Turns out my unicorn was a donkey with a plunger stuck to its head.

broken_angel
Veteran

#69 Post by broken_angel »

Well, I may not need you to voice anything, but I can definitely still use your cultural perspective in some parts. :3

...Unless you can do an old lady voice (or it's mature enough that it could pass for one). xP

Itsukitachibana

#70 Post by Itsukitachibana »

I could help with the voice actors, if you need a scottish females voice but I doubt it. Also, if you need any help with aspects of the UK I could give you ideas if you're setting anything from Scotland etc.

But either-way your project seems great and I love the ideas, keep up the good work. c:

broken_angel
Veteran

#71 Post by broken_angel »

Ah, sorry, no, I don't have any Scottish characters. ^^;;

I feel that there are so many demographics that are way underrepresented in VNs. >.<
So I tried to at least address one of them - Latin American - but there are many others, like African Americans, that just don't get represented at all. Obviously, I'm speaking from an American perspective, so I tend to cater more towards (and be more interested in) games that are culturally relevant to me. ^^;

...That was a lot of rambling tacked onto a simple statement, but it's been on my mind lately.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#72 Post by Aleema »

^ I agree. We've tried to address that in the slew of never-ending characters in RR.
I think part of the reason is that VNs are based off of either Japanese worlds, or what the Japanese perceive of the West, so all the character art is always light skinned or white people.
So, naturally, while making our VNs, it looks odd to see a black person, for instance, but somehow immediately feels right.

broken_angel
Veteran

#73 Post by broken_angel »

Ah, good, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed it (or worried about it).

And yeah...I realize that most VNs are based off of an anime/manga style, not just art-wise, but even character-wise and culture-wise. Anime is rife with stereotypes, especially when it comes to Westerners, but those stereotypes are very culturally specific to Japan (and probably other Asian countries, as well). Race and ethnicity are rarely touched upon, except to show that Westerners are usually loud, ignorant, and almost always blonde. It seems to me that EVNs, rather than just copying off of the anime/manga style (which is designed for a completely different kind of audience), should try to steer away from that.

...I know, this game isn't all that great of an example, considering that two of the characters are Japanese and many of their expressions are reminiscent of classic anime expressions. ^^;; It's a goal of mine for the future, perhaps, though.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#74 Post by Aleema »

Baby steps, angel! xD
There were originally 2 Japanese characters in RR, too, but I made a deal out of it, and one character was gracious changed to Chinese. ^^;
The "always blonde" thing bothers the crap out of me.

broken_angel
Veteran

#75 Post by broken_angel »

xP

I see. Considering the number of characters you have for it (not that I know, but it seems like a lot), though, that's not bad. :3

On a game-related note, I'm having issues with the intro. >.o
I feel like the player is being thrust into the game too quickly. While I don't want to drag it out forever, I also don't want it to be so short that you feel like there's no backstory to it. Hmm...back to the drawing board, I guess.