[WIP?] Starlit Dreams (B/GxB/G)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Gryphbear
Regular

Re: [WIP] Starlit Dreams - [Male MC Added; Now Recruiting!]

#31 Post by Gryphbear »

broken_angel wrote:Most of them actually do work out, yes.

In fact, you can find Ani at the gym for an hour or two every day, and he and James are there for a few hours every weekend. Same goes for several of the girls. Others' weights, like Keiji's, could be attributed to their knowledge (and application) of proper nutrition. C:

Anyway...

I look forward to completing an actual demo. xD
That's pretty cool. :) I still have to play your 172(ish)mb demo, I believe. Not plugged in right now so I'll wait till later today, most likely. :) I'm curious to see what happens when the MC stays in the castle now... lol
WIP: Ring av Guder - (Contemporary Fantasy VN/Dating Sim?)

What do you get when you inherit a mystical ring, meet Norse Dieties, and Werewolves, Satyrs, or Dwarves? Possibilities.

General Completion: 5% - (Still working on story plot.)
Story status: 1% (In progress of revamping)
Scripting: 1% (Prologue is about done)
Character Art: 0% (Would like to find a Bara-type Artist, but will learn to draw them myself if necessary)
BG/CG's: 0% (None so far)

Ren

#32 Post by Ren »

Books have fallen out of use, and have been replaced with small, high-tech screens, similar to an iPad. This is significant since one of the most important locations is the library, where the shelves are filled with these e-books instead of real books.
I have a question that may or may not be stupid, depending on whether I misunderstood what you mean there: would it not be more practical to just make it so every person has one device by default, and they can go to the library to interface with its database of books to download books on it? It seems a bit weird to me that they'd use so much space to store each individual book in one of those i-pad like device, rather than trying to save space like that.

broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

#33 Post by broken_angel »

That's not a stupid question at all, and based on the small amount I have written there, I can see your point.

Actually, most people do have their own PDA-like devices (this is actually your main source of information in the game; it's how you save, keep track of your funds and status, keep track of your current game goals, etc.).

I guess you could say that they're more like CDs in that you would stick them in your "Digi" (lame name, but oh well) and download the data from it. However, it's also an interactive "book" in itself that you can read straight from the screen (touch pad style) if you so choose (which some people do). I've never actually seen an iPad, so I was just kind of guessing what it would look like. xD But these e-books are probably a bit smaller than you're thinking.

So the library isn't made so that you rent these e-books...it's more like a collection of these data disks, though there's still a small section for "antique" books that you can rent like in a traditional library.

...Now that I read that, it sounds confusing. xD If I ever find a background artist, I'll have to sketch out what I'm talking about...

Gryphbear
Regular

#34 Post by Gryphbear »

broken_angel wrote:That's not a stupid question at all, and based on the small amount I have written there, I can see your point.

Actually, most people do have their own PDA-like devices (this is actually your main source of information in the game; it's how you save, keep track of your funds and status, keep track of your current game goals, etc.).

I guess you could say that they're more like CDs in that you would stick them in your "Digi" (lame name, but oh well) and download the data from it. However, it's also an interactive "book" in itself that you can read straight from the screen (touch pad style) if you so choose (which some people do). I've never actually seen an iPad, so I was just kind of guessing what it would look like. xD But these e-books are probably a bit smaller than you're thinking.

So the library isn't made so that you rent these e-books, but it's more like a collection of these data disks, though there's still a small section for "antique" books that you can rent like in a traditional library.
That is cool though. I was about to chime in that I can fit probably 2000 E-books in a 8gb sd card. so that's why I was thinking it'd have like a holographic system (display) that you can look for the genre you're wanting, and then browse through the titles, and download them to your IPDA (good name?) lol.

Now I'm sorta tempted to do a PDA sort of status screen for my own VN. Maybe. Probably not. I don't really know coding all that well yet.

What do you get when you inherit a mystical ring, meet Norse Dieties, and Werewolves, Satyrs, or Dwarves? Possibilities.

Character Art: 0% (Would like to find a Bara-type Artist, but will learn to draw them myself if necessary)

broken_angel
Veteran

#35 Post by broken_angel »

Yes, that's what I thinking for the most part as well, that they would be holographic screens of sorts.
But there would still be a lot of them, since with the addition of electronic means of publication, the number of "books" being written would soar dramatically (and already is!).

Eh...I guess I'm just reluctant to get rid of shelves. xD But it would be more practical to just have holographic computer terminals or something.

As for my status screen...it's not very pretty because I suck at graphics, haha. But hey, I tried. xD
The coding actually isn't too hard...just screens and image buttons. :3 The hard part is making the images for the buttons.

Gryphbear
Regular

#36 Post by Gryphbear »

broken_angel wrote:Yes, that's what I thinking for the most part as well, that they would be holographic screens of sorts.
But there would still be a lot of them, since with the addition of electronic means of publication, the number of "books" being written would soar dramatically (and already is!).

Eh...I guess I'm just reluctant to get rid of shelves. xD But it would be more practical to just have holographic computer terminals or something.

As for my status screen...it's not very pretty because I suck at graphics, haha. But hey, I tried. xD
The coding actually isn't too hard...just screens and image buttons. :3 The hard part is making the images for the buttons.
ah. well. I did make an email client in screen language -- without functions. I just don't know how to add the functions, frankly. Anyways. Back to the holographic display.

It could be a bookshelf or a terminal that projects a bookshelf around it, and simulates the look of a bookshelf filled with actual books, but it's only 'sight'?

broken_angel
Veteran

#37 Post by broken_angel »

I don't know how to add functions, either. I just do what I can with what I know. :3

And that sounds...interesting.
Makes me think of the Matrix or something...you tell it what you're looking for and then the bookshelves shift around you to "take you" to the section you're looking for.

But then what's the point of having librarians if you've got a computer to do all the work for you? xD

Gryphbear
Regular

#38 Post by Gryphbear »

broken_angel wrote:I don't know how to add functions, either. I just do what I can with what I know. :3

And that sounds...interesting.
Makes me think of the Matrix or something...you tell it what you're looking for and then the bookshelves shift around you to "take you" to the section you're looking for.

But then what's the point of having librarians if you've got a computer to do all the work for you? xD
haha, well I didn't say everything was worked out. ;) You could make it so the librarian IS the only one who can work the terminal. or theonly one who can 'grant' you temporary access. Or something. Maybe the librarians have to do upkeep on the archives, and so forth.

Ren

#39 Post by Ren »

Or (pardon the intrusion) the librarian could be part of the program - but then again, I am possibly still thinking of Ever17's Sora...

Gryphbear
Regular

#40 Post by Gryphbear »

Ren wrote:Or (pardon the intrusion) the librarian could be part of the program - but then again, I am possibly still thinking of Ever17's Sora...
Or the "Holographic" Librarian from the 2000(ish) remake of The Time Machine? :)

broken_angel
Veteran

#41 Post by broken_angel »

Hmm...

I guess I'll have to give it more thought. :3

To Ren:

The librarians can't be part of the program because that would imply that you, the main character, are only a program. xP
That's how you start out in the game: working as a librarian, hence why they have to be involved in the process somehow.

Granted, part of the joke is that you never have any work to do because no one ever comes to the library, anyway (since most information is available just as easily online).

Ren

#42 Post by Ren »

Ah, I didn't pay enough attention, sorry...

(Then again, if part of the library still has old books, I don't see how people wouldn't go, just to read those... but then again, I like old things, so I'm possibly biased.)

Gryphbear
Regular

#43 Post by Gryphbear »

broken_angel wrote:Hmm...

I guess I'll have to give it more thought. :3

To Ren:

The librarians can't be part of the program because that would imply that you, the main character, are only a program. xP
That's how you start out in the game: working as a librarian, hence why they have to be involved in the process somehow.

Granted, part of the joke is that you never have any work to do because no one ever comes to the library, anyway (since most information is available just as easily online).
So that makes sense. lol. Well, then he is just the keeper of electronic media which anyone can grab off the internet? ;)

broken_angel
Veteran

#44 Post by broken_angel »

To Ren:

It's fine. xD I'm not sure I even mentioned that in the first post.

And there are a few people who visit the library because they prefer to read the old-style books, and you'll come across those people in-game.

To Gryphbear:

Pretty much. xP

So, you can understand why the goal is to quit your job and start your own more profitable business instead. ;)

Gryphbear
Regular

#45 Post by Gryphbear »

broken_angel wrote:To Ren:

It's fine. xD I'm not sure I even mentioned that in the first post.

And there are a few people who visit the library because they prefer to read the old-style books, and you'll come across those people in-game.

To Gryphbear:

Pretty much. xP

So, you can understand why the goal is to quit your job and start your own more profitable business instead. ;)
It would be kinda funny to see a path (even a bit short) where you are HAPPY working at he library... all the books you could have... lol