Dream of Stars :: Sci-fi, Romance, Drama, BxG :: Commercial

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
2DComplexStudios
Projects: Dream of Stars (~hoshi no yume~)

Dream of Stars :: Sci-fi, Romance, Drama, BxG :: Commercial

#1 Post by 2DComplexStudios »

Hello Lemma Soft community! We are the newly-formed 2D Complex Studios.
In this thread you'll find information on our in-progress debut visual novel, Dream of Stars (~hoshi no yume~).

Please subscribe to our development blog for updates as they occur, and for other 2DC projects!

A B O U T ✩ D R E A M ✩ O F ✩ S T A R S
(Taken from the devblog) "Dream of Stars is an all-ages VN that focuses on sci-fi, drama, and romance genres. After being recruited by a secret government organization that calls itself “Hoshi,” you, former shut-in Tomohiro Ishikawa, are transported to a far-off planet with a team of uniquely skilled girls to explore the unfathomable. When things on the alien planet go awry, the hearts and lives of these six girls will depend on the wisdom of your decisions. Will you be able to get everyone home safely? More importantly, will you be able to help the members of Hoshi reach the real stars?"

S T A F F - click for deviantART gallery
Ari (Loli-King) :: art, writing, scripting
Matt (m_risingstarblade) :: composing, development, art assistance

P L A N N E D ✩ F E A T U R E S
Here is a list of features that are planned for Dream of Stars. These features are our main focus, and are guaranteed to be included.
100% original art
100% original soundtrack
6 cute, unique heroines, each with her own theme song
12 possible endings
Customized menu interface
Digital download or boxed copy (boxed copies come with special extras)

P O S S I B L E ✩ F E A T U R E S
These are features that are being considered for DoS and may or may not appear in the final version.
Animated sprites
Fully-animated OP and ED videos
Animated cutscenes
Voice acting

C H A R A C T E R S
These are the first and second drafts of character designs, and are subject to change.
Subscribe to our devblog for more drafts, completed sprites, and CGs in the future!

Name: Tomohiro Ishikawa
Info: Tomo has been a hikikomori--a shut-in--up until his recruitment into Hoshi. Why would such an important organization want a hikikomori’s help? Tomohiro has a very special ability that, despite the boy’s inherent irresponsibility, makes him integral to Hoshi’s mission.

Name: Hiroaki Abe
Info: Hoshi’s founder, the brilliant robotics engineer. He works with seriousness and precision, but there’s a tenderness evident beneath his composed surface as he works towards a goal much more important than exploration.

Name: Ai Okada
Info: Ai has seen more than her fair share of hardship in life. Whether by fists or by rifle, she demolishes foes in combat with her unrelenting focus. Could there be a sweetness within the thick walls she has built around herself?

Name: Fumiko Mori
Info: Like Hiroaki, Fumi has been hailed as a prodigy in the scientific community. Following in the footsteps of her parents, she creates gadgets and weaponry used by the group. One has to wonder if such sweet hands should be used to create objects of violence and containment…

Name: Kin Suzuki
Info: She’s happy, healthy, energetic and extroverted. By maintaining a defiant optimism, Kin’s become a master at negotiating and extracting information. But how is it that someone so seemingly joyful came to learn the methods of deceit and trickery?

Name: Noah Shimizu
Info: Noah is Hoshi’s resident musician. Always cool and collected, Noah has been an apt partner to Hiroaki, helping him to formulate the best tactical strategies. Noah has been like a mother to the other girls. She seems happy in her current position, but sometimes people can mistake complacency for happiness.

Name: Momoka
Info: This odd-looking girl uses a special ability to work diligently as Hoshi’s counselor. She’s always taking care of others’ emotions, but neglects her own. She knows little about her strange origins. Can Tomohiro help her discover the truth?

Name: Tsukiko
Info: Don’t be fooled by her cuteness–designed and built by Hiroaki ten years ago, she is an artificial lifeform… an android. And in the heat of battle, she can be utterly ruthless. It would seem her purpose is to carry out whatever Hiroaki orders, without letting emotion get in the way. But surely, a girl of such sweet disposition deserves a chance to feel? Is it even possible?

S C R E E N S H O T S
There are no screenshots yet. Please stay tuned to our devblog or to this thread for future screens!

D E M O
There is no demo yet. Hopefully, one will be released by summer 2011.
Attachments
Sprite stylization test using Fumiko
Sprite stylization test using Fumiko
Last edited by 2DComplexStudios on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.

C U R R E N T P R O J E C T :
Sci-fi | Romance | BxG | All Ages
Story: almost complete
Scripting: begun
Artwork: heroine designs complete | no CG or BG yet
Music: 7 tracks complete

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Dream of Stars :: Sci-fi, Romance, Drama, BxG :: Commerc

#2 Post by Samu-kun »

Nuuuu... don't go down the path of capitalistic destruction. Go freeware and share your lolies with everyone for the good of mankind. =w= All for one, one for all, they say...

2DComplexStudios

#3 Post by 2DComplexStudios »

Ari here--I thought about it, but especially taking into consideration that Matt offered me his wonderful original compositions for what is essentially my personal project, I don't think I should. I personally need the money for art school (my whole family has been unemployed for more than two years) and Matt deserves a chance to upgrade his music software so he can produce more beautiful artwork!

Don't worry~ It won't be expensive~ I'm planning on selling boxed copies (which come with prints n' stuff) for $10 - $15, and digital copies will be even less.

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Working on ミツマタ [Mitsumata (c)].

#4 Post by kinougames »

This looks extremely adorable!
Check out the new interactive media project, Mitsumata(c). Follow 8 colorful characters in a story full of drama, horror, all sexualities and exciting gameplay~!

Development blog's up! Visit!

2DComplexStudios

#5 Post by 2DComplexStudios »

kinougames: Thanks so much! I'm flattered to hear that from you, as I'm really looking forward to Mitsumata!

I have an update! Kin's gone through her second design draft. I also created the Hoshi agency spacesuits. At first I couldn't decide between black and white, but my friend mentioned that you wouldn't be able to see the black one in space. So, the white suit below is the finalized Hoshi outfit! Here's Kin modeling each one:

I also drew a headshot for Momoka~

Last edited by 2DComplexStudios on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julie
Regular

#6 Post by Julie »

Wow! This looks very adorable! Though I do wish that it was free. XD However, considering the features of this game, I think it will be worth paying for. How long do you think this will take to finish? :)

2DComplexStudios

#7 Post by 2DComplexStudios »

Heheh, sorry~ Thanks for the support, though! I might release a short visual novel for free if I have time this year.

Well, Matt and I were originally going to push for the end of April, but we decided that it would be best to give it our all and use our time to put out a better product. So, we are giving ourselves about a year to work on it. If things go well, a demo will be out this summer!

Julie
Regular

#8 Post by Julie »

I'm so looking forward to it! How many minutes/hours gameplay time will the demo and the full game be? :D
Oh and good luck with your other short visual novel! I hope you guys can make otome games too! XP

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by kinougames »

Awww, thanks. :) We put Mitsumata on hold for a tiny bit to finish our current project here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=8926

About Kin:

I actually prefer her black outfit! There's something special and unique that the black gives it that the white version just doesn't have.

In general, I love your art style, but for logos and such, I'd cut down a little on the intensity of the pastel rainbow, because it becomes a wee bit difficult to see. :)
Check out the new interactive media project, Mitsumata(c). Follow 8 colorful characters in a story full of drama, horror, all sexualities and exciting gameplay~!

2DComplexStudios

#10 Post by 2DComplexStudios »

Julie: I'm hoping for at least 4 hours per girl in the end, so it will hopefully be 24 hours if you play each path. But I'm not sure how much text equals how much time, if that makes sense! We'll see what happens. As for the demo, I might make it so that you can play the full game, but you cannot save. I haven't decided yet.

As for an otome game, I'd be glad to make one if I find time in the future. Although I'm not sure if I can draw hot guys... just cute ones. <.<

kinougames: Oh wow, that one looks just as incredible. I'm excited for PPBB's release too, now! ^^ You guys get the most incredible artists.

I agree... I like the black one more because the glowing seams really pop, and it looks so futuristic and spacey. But I can't really argue with my friend's logic, hahaha. :(

For the rainbow thing, are you talking about the 2DC logo or the DoS logo in my signature? 'Cause, yeah, I kinda of added the one in my sig on a whim, and it doesn't look so great... I was hoping it would grow on me, haha~

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by kinougames »

I see her logic, but I kind of feel like there are certain dark dark shades you can do that WILL show up against black, and if you need to draw her in space, you can temper it by having maybe a giant massive nebula or sun or something so the background isn't all black, either.

The Dream of Stars logo in your sig is what's a bit hard to see properly. :)

Thanks so much for your compliments. We all work so hard. ^^;

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#12 Post by Morhighan »

I like the way you guys shade hair. The more finished looking art is looking good!
I look forward to seeing the progress on this game.

Minimoto714

#13 Post by Minimoto714 »

You gonna be okay with that many heroines?

J. Datie
Veteran

#14 Post by J. Datie »

I'm going to look past the aw'd'awwable artwork and point out something that's weirding me out. Is that a typo, or does that 28-year-old man really have a 19-year-old son?

2DComplexStudios

#15 Post by 2DComplexStudios »

Matt here - It's never stated that Tomohiro is Hiroaki's son. That would just be wrong.