[WIP] Caesar's Fate (GxB) -- Hiatus: November 1st 2011!--

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

Re: [WIP] Caesar's Fate (GxB) -- Historical Fiction --

#46 Post by Elenakiara »

@ Argeus_the_Paladin: Thanks for the tips! :3 I was actually thinking of what helmets to use for the part where.... oh yeah, it's a spoiler! :O Nevermind. ;) I'll continue my research! =D

@ Aleema: Yay!! xDD Haha, I love your optimism! I'll keep that in mind and... arg, continue when I finish studying a little more! T.T xD
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

lilyalex
Regular
Completed: Crazy to be Famous
Projects: Bold Mount

#47 Post by lilyalex »

I want a demo soon :o

Elenakiara
Veteran

#48 Post by Elenakiara »

@ lilyalex: I'll try to possibly release one sometime in the near future! Not too near though, as I'm having some mid-term exams coming up soon! Dx
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

Argeus_the_Paladin
Veteran
Projects: Rzeczpospolita Polska 1647

#49 Post by Argeus_the_Paladin »

Oh, and I forgot:

The pictures and information in this link can be of use to you.

I guarantee the historical accuracy of the link above with my very life. Ctrl+F for "Marian" - the legions under Gaius Julius Caesar's jurisdiction should be immediately underneath.
Earlier attempts to increase to the number of suitable small farmers through land reforms by the gracchi were blocked by senate, as many senators owned great latifundia now sprawling over Italy, by themselves. So all property requirements were given up and volunteers from all social classes were welcomed as well as the conscripts, while the state or their generals paid for their equipment. The senate had refused to bear the incalculable able costs for the veterans so that the generals had to take care of them. The loyalty of these men shifted more and more to charismatic leaders , they were now depending on, preparing the ground for many bloody civil wars of the 1st century BC.
Last edited by Argeus_the_Paladin on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
One Province Minor - 120 class variables and still counting!

Because there is no such thing as too many variables.

Elenakiara
Veteran

#50 Post by Elenakiara »

Woah! xDD Thanks again for giving me some more info to help me immerse myself a little more into the mood of that time. ;)

Argeus_the_Paladin
Veteran

#51 Post by Argeus_the_Paladin »

No worries. As the head mods of EB said in their End User Agreement, "By using this product you agree to read more history."

Also, one last thing I forgot from the first page: Gaius Julius Caesar had never been emperor of the Roman Empire. Dictator For Life =/= Emperor.

Elenakiara
Veteran

#52 Post by Elenakiara »

Aww, darn it! xDD While I will modify that title in my next stats or image update, I may still make the main character use that term when thinking about him, as she's not too much of a history buff! xD

Argeus_the_Paladin
Veteran

#53 Post by Argeus_the_Paladin »

Now, that may be troublesome.

You see, Rome had had some particularly bad experience with absolute monarchs by Caesar's time. The reason why (as far as Shakespeare is concerned) Brutus' cadre assassinated Julius Caesar is because they fear he might wanted to crown himself Emperor and repeat the dark age of Tarquinius Superbus several hundred years prior. If a time traveler - or anyone for that matter - explicitly addresses him as Emperor, that would only fuel their paranoia. Cue "Et tu, Brute?"

(You can use that as a cue for LOL BAD END though...)

Elenakiara
Veteran

#54 Post by Elenakiara »

xDD Yeah, I know that. Plus, if I'd really make it historically 100% accurate, Caesar wouldn't say anything at all when seeing Brutus among the people! :O Since by a few accounts, he just pretty much gave up silently. But, it wouldn't be as dramatic then, right? xD

Aetheria
Regular

#55 Post by Aetheria »

I always liked Suetonius' « καὶ σύ, τέκνον; » better anyway. :D (Even though Suetonius didn't actually think Caesar said it.)

Anyway, I think you could plausibly have your MC refer to Caesar as "emperor", if you take it to be equivalent to the Latin imperator, which during the Republic was a title closer to "commander" or "general" than to the sense in which we use it now - actually, it was restricted to the emperors after the time of Augustus, I think, and that's how "emperor" came to mean what it means now. Imperator was a title actually granted to Caesar after his victories in Spain in 60 BC (and again by the Senate during his dictatorship), so it wouldn't be surprising if someone referred to him as such.

edit: That said, I'm assuming that everyone's speaking Latin. If they're speaking English, then it might be, as Argeus suggested, a gaffe - equivalent to using the Latin rex, or Greek βασιλεύς or τύραννος.

Argeus_the_Paladin
Veteran

#56 Post by Argeus_the_Paladin »

That can work too.

"Emperor" = "Augustus"

"General who has celebrated a triumph in Rome and therefore honored by his men and the Res Publica" = "Imperator".

Your choice.

Elenakiara
Veteran

#57 Post by Elenakiara »

Hey! I've updated my wordcount in the beginning and I'm going to add more next! I have also finished working on the menu! :3 I've had some trouble with some parts, but I feel like it's still okay... xDD I tried to be symbolic with the clouds... :3
Attachments
CurrentMenu.PNG

Elenakiara
Veteran

#58 Post by Elenakiara »

Hehe, I didn't want to update until the end of NaNoRenO, since there's more traffic here with new VNs in progress... xD But meh, it was really starting to be covered by tons and tons of pages!

So, as an update, I'd like to say that I've almost finished day 1 and will be going on with the rest. Also, the sprite artist has exams and all that, so I let her take a break until summer starts, since she can produce good art in quite a small amount of time(when her head's free from homework of course!). So, no worries everyone! xD

Elenakiara
Veteran

#59 Post by Elenakiara »

Updated the word count! =D A biiiig thanks to Auro-Cyanide! :3 <3

I'll also start working on the backgrounds again and possibly give you guys a few teasers! ;) I have a big presentation coming up in school, but my schedule's going to be quite free after that! :3

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: [WIP] Caesar's Fate (GxB) -- Updated: April 3rd 2001!--

#60 Post by Taleweaver »

Could you do something about the font in your menu screen? The current font looks so cliché "university sports" that you could mistake Julius Caesar for Caesar Millington, quarterback for Harvard >.<
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira