[WIP] Caesar's Fate (GxB) -- Hiatus: November 1st 2011!--

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

Re: [WIP] Caesar's Fate (GxB) -- Historical Fiction --

#31 Post by Elenakiara »

xDD Ahhh, okayyyyy! I get it now! xD

Well... Hm... I'll try and write it out in a way that will make her seem...
still fertile? XDD hahaah... I didn't think that I would say that one day! :O xD
Hopefully, it won't be much of a problem. xDD
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

Megumi
Regular
Projects: Love Buffet

#32 Post by Megumi »

LOL. That one is funny. XD

You could probably just make people either: not need children or make them think she's super young after they got too far in a relationship. XD

(...Or make her look like a loli *shot*)

So far, that must be the only questions that matter to me. Oo" I don't know if it helps you in the writing but I think it's relevant enough past-wise. :3
La vie est un rêve, c'est le réveil qui nous tue.

Love Buffet

To read about (crackish) reviews for otome games, click here.

Elenakiara
Veteran

#33 Post by Elenakiara »

Hehe, yeah, I'm going to make people back then a little bit like today. xD As in really rich people don't have as big of a need for children as poor or middle-class people. xD Maybe a kid or so just to marry them off and all that, but it won't be as much of a big deal. xD

And a loli back then? :O I don't know about that! xDD

Thanks again for all of those questions! :3 Some of them really did help me see what I should tweak a little more for it to be more realistic! :3 If you think of any others, just ask! x3 Also, I will keep in touch in case if I need some help with the historical feel of the actions or some ideas! =DD
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#34 Post by azureXtwilight »

How far is the completion for the current time? :D

Elenakiara
Veteran

#35 Post by Elenakiara »

Heyyy!! :3 <3 So happy you posted, since I'm a fan of your games... <3 xDD

Currently, the progress is the same as on the front page, finishing up the first day where you meet them all! :O It has been on a very short hiatus, as I was making a quick game for one of my close friend's birthday. :3 Plus, next week is a 'study break', so I'll get right back on the story and put it in full-speed ahead! :3

I'll update this every time I'll make some significant progress. Thanks again for your post! ;)

Elenakiara
Veteran

#36 Post by Elenakiara »

Hey! Sorry to double post! :P

I just wanted to update and say that I have started writing the script for the second day and am putting in as many personalizations as I can here and there, without going crazy! xD I also have almost finished up learning about that time period and the final flowchart! Phew! I'll give more updates when I'll have more news! :3

Update:
Rawr, I didn't want to triple-post, so I'm just going to update it here! xDD

I've finished my whole flowchart and the secrets that each character will have! That's why I put that Story = 95%! The last 5% is pretty much left there just in case for a few minor changes that I may make as I write! :3

Also, here are the current stats!

The game contains 406 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 4,178 words,
for an average of 10.3 words per screen.
The game contains 7 menus.

Elenakiara
Veteran

#37 Post by Elenakiara »

Arg, I couldn't control myself! I just -had- to triple post! XDD

I have started on the backgrounds right now too, so I even have a small preview for you all!
The idea and design was mine, while my grandma did the actual perspective drawings! xD I'm also designing the main menu and the text box, so that it all looks even better! That way, I might, just might, release a demo sometime after finishing it a little more! :3
Attachments
preview.JPG
preview.JPG (15.34 KiB) Viewed 1169 times

Argeus_the_Paladin
Veteran
Projects: Rzeczpospolita Polska 1647

#38 Post by Argeus_the_Paladin »

Well, maybe it's my inner insane historical accuracy freak that is speaking here, but you have to be very careful with where this is going.

One particular problem I have with your idea is that you put Julius Caesar at 50 years old, which is right at the start of the Caesar-Pompey war of 49-45 BC. Probably that would be the time where Caesar's Gallic legions have just crossed the Rubicon and returned to bring war to Rome. In any case it was wartime, and the Senate, well, had split and taken sides, some with Caesar, the others leaving Rome with Pompey. Read: A timeframe in which your premise, frankly speaking, cannot occur.

Even if you say you are aging-down everyone for the sake of the VN, you will need plenty of Hand Waving to show readers this isn't Rome as they knew it. Otherwise, I fear many eyebrows will be raised.
One Province Minor - 120 class variables and still counting!

Because there is no such thing as too many variables.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#39 Post by Aleema »

^^^ STOP RUINING THE ORGY PARTY!

Bah to historical accuracy. >=[
"Never let history stand in the way of a good story!" That's what was taught to me when I had historical fears, and that's what I'll teach to anyone with the same.

Argeus_the_Paladin
Veteran

#40 Post by Argeus_the_Paladin »

Well, as I said, I am a historical accuracy freak. My motto is, if a historical character is included in any story, the author has an obligation to portray him correctly, unless specifically stated that it is Very Loosely Based On A True Story.

I know many people do not share this view - but I will still give my opinion where it is asked for.

Elenakiara
Veteran

#41 Post by Elenakiara »

@ Argeus_the_Paladin: Hehe, yeah, I know this can potentially irritate some people... xD In the beginning I almost included the Coloseum in the story(while I later found out in my research that it was built after :p)! xD

I am actually ready to get a bit bashed for some historical things, as long as a few people enjoy the story! :3 But yes, thank you for your remark! :3 I'll keep it in mind though as I go! While I do like reading about history, I do enjoy movies that have inaccuricies, so I guess I'm less picky in a way... xD

@ Aleema: Haha! <3 I was actually writing my answer and was going to post when I saw that it said that one new post was made! xDD You're one of the people that I'm going to be targeting! :3 ;)
Thanks for your support! xD
Last edited by Elenakiara on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#42 Post by Aleema »

@Argeus: But this isn't based on a true story. D: It's historical fiction, and she says this upfront ...
(I was joking, you're very welcome to post whatever you like, I just see a lot of developers quit projects for smaller reasons. Most important thing here is that she's having fun doing it, and if "historical accuracy" ruins that, then screw it.)

Elenakiara
Veteran

#43 Post by Elenakiara »

Yeah, I did feel a little bit like quitting in the beginning, when there were a few discussions about what to do with all those wives that they have! xD But once I got over that, I just went for it and am having lots of fun making the game! I should actually organize my time a little better, because I still have some homework and studying to do! xD

Argeus_the_Paladin
Veteran

#44 Post by Argeus_the_Paladin »

Well, I understand that. I guess that's what we are here for - to give opinion and advice. It is the author's choice in the end, after all.

That aside, another thing you might want to take note in setting the atmosphere is that this is Republican Rome we are talking about, and not Imperial Rome. Some of the major differences are:

* Many iconic Roman buildings had not yet been in place.
* A God-Emperor or equivalent figure did not exist. Caesar was just that - a charismatic Consul who happened to have benefited a great deal from the Marian Reform and thus is often regarded with due suspicion by the Senate even before his becoming dictator for life.
* Said Senate was much more powerful than what it will be in Imperial Rome.
* The iconic Lorica Segmentata and "Roman" helmet with cheekguards did not exist yet, if you are interested in drawing the Roman legion. Instead, the legion used the much blander Lorica Hamata and open Montefortino helmets.

If in doubt, wiki is your friend.

There are a few other things, but I will inform you when they become relevant, if you wouldn't mind. Again, thanks for listening to the rambling of a fanatic history crusader without taking any offense.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#45 Post by Aleema »

I, for one, am really excited to play this unique game. Historical fantasies of all ages excite me in general. I'm also intrigued and fascinated by the Roman era. So please just make the game how you want it! It will probably also be how we want it, too. :)

(And yes, school before VNs, though that's hard ... >_>)