Bliss Stage: Love Is Our Weapon [Sci-Fi, BxG, BxB]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

Re: Bliss Stage: Love Is Our Weapon [Sci-Fi, BxG, BxB]

#16 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

BCS wrote:I've been giving some thought to the battle system—I know we mostly discussed animations, but I haven't dived into it with any real depth. Are we looking at active mouse-based input like The World Ends With You (which was amazing) or the typical >Fight >Magic >Item >Run kind of menu?
Neither. It's a pretty faithful port of the tabletop rules, which mostly means energy allocation in combat.

You WILL take damage in every combat, unless the Random Number God is in love with you.
BCS wrote:[/edit] In light of recent events, I just realized how appropriate my sig ended up being.
Highly appropriate, yes.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#17 Post by Watercolorheart »

Is it active or turn-based? That's my question.
I'm not even the same person anymore

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Very definitely turn-based.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

carosene
Veteran
Completed: That Cheap and Sacred Thing

#19 Post by carosene »

This game sounds super interesting! :O The concept is really interesting and sounds like a lot of fun to play with. I'll definitely play this when it comes out. :D

Aside: Also, I cheer for bisexual protagonist. XD
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

carosene wrote:Aside: Also, I cheer for bisexual protagonist. XD
That was an extremely early design decision. I continue to be disappointed in games that don't let you do this.

Games I am not disappointed in include Dragon Age.

carosene
Veteran
Completed: That Cheap and Sacred Thing

#21 Post by carosene »

And Sims! And Mass Effect! (Oh wait, only if you're playing a girl. Cue disappointment.) There's the ren'py game "<3"... Yeah... that's all I can think of at the moment...

Well, I'm proud of you guys for it. :)
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Hey man, I'mma gonna let you finish but I'm trying to put together an FAQ. So if you have questions about the project, post them here and/or on this Formspring account, so I can properly answer them.

I'm also considering putting up a Kickstarter for this thing, depending on interest.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'

#23 Post by Watercolorheart »

On Kickstarter: Don't undersell yourself but don't be greedy. We're indie, but we're not lame. When you set it up, ballpark a decent price for development. My time is valuable, personally, I'd work for free but I actually lose some time I could have done different commissions or done my own projects so I plan to make it worth my time eventually.

On the sprites: I may, actually, throw up my hands at some point and try a different approach on style. The sprite style is agitating me, for some reason. I look at them and it's in this weird uncanny valley thing for me. It doesn't feel right, it doesn't look right now that I've had some time to look over them and go "ugh." When you sent that pic of Gabriel that Deji touched up, that's more like what I wanted in the first place.

On FAnime 2011: See you there. :lol:

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Well, that's out of the bag, then. Yes, BCS is doing the spritework.

Mighty fine spritework it is, albeit time consuming.

I'm thinking of setting a 2000 (or 2012, or 2108, just beacuase) target for the game on Kickstarter.

CaseyLoufek
Regular
Projects: Bliss Stage, Orbital Knights

#25 Post by CaseyLoufek »

It's the reclusive lead progammer of the team here to announce to existance of the Kickstarter page!

We've got a good long video showing stuff off so take a look and spread the word.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/104 ... sual-novel

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Thanks, Casey! I'm bumping to add that BCS is drawing new, more easily reproducable concept art closer to her usual style. Not quite anime; the Teen Titans five years later come to mind.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#27 Post by sake-bento »

The art is looking great. The characters really have character to them, and I'm delighted to see this project still going.

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Bunp. We're at 26% for the kickstarter - good, but not good enough yet. Frankly, the hideous music from the first iteration of that trailer was a terrible mistake, and now we've replaced it with an instrumental of The Nature Of War, one of Joshua's theme songs in this game. Listening to the Kickstarter will now no longer sound like what a Nightmare attack does to your brain.

The response actually surprised us: we haven't QUITE set up the 5%, 10% and 25% rewards of new concept art in the cartoonier style, but we'll be posting those here and on the kickstarter soon. Sara Smith, Gabriel, Anna Lin, and their mecha.

Next concept art piece posted as a milestone reward will be at 50%.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#29 Post by Watercolorheart »

We'd be a lot better off if my mother hadn't decided that 2 days after my trip, with me still jetlagged and very VERY ill with the flu and at 2 AM would be a fantastic time to make me homeless with nothing on my back but the clothes I was wearing, a bag full of work clothes, and another bag full of drawing supplies. Oh, and she broke my cell-phone too but I'm in the process of getting her help.

Long story short, I was expecting to use this week to work on Bliss Stage but instead I'm in emergency crisis survival mode. Art only comes second insofar as it's getting a roof over my head and food on my table, which means Bliss Stage comes third.

I didn't even have any food on me... I spent like $200 just to get basic supplies yesterday.

Fuck my life. I'm buying a Netbook tonight at Wal-mart, incidentally. I won't have Internet immediately though until I make it to the library or the TLCC on the Polk State College campus. After the trip and this bullshit, I pretty much will have no savings left. I slept for, like, 15 hours yesterday and I'm still as sick as a dog.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#30 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

The sprites.... are so detailed and realistic... I love it *___*
Oh, and yeah, sorry if I haven't sent you yet the voice files. My microphone went on an awry state, and now, I have trouble recording clearly....