[WIP] MetaGame

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Youngster Joey
Projects: MetaGame, Turnip in Love (colour artist)

[WIP] MetaGame

#1 Post by Youngster Joey »

Well, I figure I might as well make a thread about my current VN progress. It's my first independant project, so I'm excited, but kind of nervous at the same time.
Anyway, without further ado, I'd like to introduce...

MetaGame
"I've lived my entire life inside an otome game, and no, that's not some metaphor for my skill at getting the ladies. I'm actually literally living inside an otome game and it sucks. I never get to make my own choices, I have to act like I'm totally into some chick who really just looks like a floating arrow and my life is really just an all around suckfest.
I've gotta find some way to get out of here... Or at least make this place halfway liveable."

Characters

Terry (Main Character)
An aloof geek with a heart of gold, or at least, he's supposed to be. Even though he could probably tell you what the konami code is, truth is, he's never touched a console and he might not be the most outwardly friendly of all guys, but he's far from being a tsundere.
Terry is sarcastic, a bit cynical and he is one of the main obtainable guys in an otome game, a life he's currently hating. He's been looking for a way to escape his repetitive and constricting world.

Kevin
In game, he's the player's childhood best friend, but when the program's off, he's a constant thorn in Terry's side. A bit of a brat, doesn't like talking about his emotions, but expects other people to automatically pick up on them.

Brandon
Supposedly the friendly jock, but he's actually kind of unapproachable.

The Player
The girl who owns the game. It seems to be her favourite, as she's played through it quite a few times. To Terry, she looks like a massive floating arrow.

Progress

[70%] Story - To try and give the player more options, I've ended up creating branches that lead... somewhere I don't know. I'll figure it out!
[30%] Script - A large part of it is written in my notebook, waiting to be copied down into renpy.
[90%] Sprites - They just need some cleaning up.
[0%] Backgrounds
[0%] Music

Since this is my first independant game, the game is most likely going to be very short, since I don't want to be stuck in a situation where I have to drop the game... Anyway, that's all I have to say. I'll try and keep you all up to date!

night_serenade
Regular
Projects: Strings of Fate, Turnip in Love, other secret projects XD

Re: [WIP] MetaGame

#2 Post by night_serenade »

Oh wow, let me just start by saying this is a very unique game XD
I've never played something like this, and so far I already find it very interesting.

Just one question because this wasn't exactly clear to me; is the main character Terry?
And I'm guessing the plot is him trying to get out of the game's restrictions and everything?

I'll definitely be looking out for more updates, and the completed game of course :)
.:.Alice here~!

Writer, Proof Reader/Editor, Programmer, and Artist ;; always willing to help in whatever way I can, so don't be afraid to send me a message! =]

Here are the public projects I’m currently involved in (you should check them out =D)!!
Strings of Fate | Turnip in Love | Soul & Heart

My Deviant Art~ [I just recently created a new account, and am learning how to colour digitally, so right now there's only a limited and poor show of art XD]

Youngster Joey

#3 Post by Youngster Joey »

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but yeah, the main character is Terry. The premise is something along those lines, but I'm not too sure how to explain the plot, since it's kind of going all over the place, hahaha XD
Thanks for the support Alice!

night_serenade
Regular
Projects: Strings of Fate, Turnip in Love, other secret projects XD

#4 Post by night_serenade »

Haha well that's okay~! I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out :)
And that's what this sort of thread is good for; posting things up and seeing what others think about it so they can give advice, right~?
No problem at all! hehe
.:.Alice here~!

Writer, Proof Reader/Editor, Programmer, and Artist ;; always willing to help in whatever way I can, so don't be afraid to send me a message! =]

Here are the public projects I’m currently involved in (you should check them out =D)!!
Strings of Fate | Turnip in Love | Soul & Heart

My Deviant Art~ [I just recently created a new account, and am learning how to colour digitally, so right now there's only a limited and poor show of art XD]

Machus
Regular
Completed: Haircuts, 99 Luftballons

#5 Post by Machus »

This looks like a great game.
Interesting and fun story!

So do the female characters in other VNs see me as a pointy arrow?
I'd better customize my mouse icon then. =D
I'm available as a proofreader, just PM me. Thanks!

~Mau

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#6 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

...I love you for making a game with this concept.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#7 Post by sake-bento »

Ahaha, this is fantastic. I shall be watching your progress with great anticipation.

Boniae
Regular
Completed: I want 2 be single and Forget-Me-Not
Projects: Cry Girlhood, Dakota Wanderers, Sagebrush
Organization: Rosewater Games
Tumblr: boniae

#8 Post by Boniae »

This looks freaking awesome! Like many have said before me, the idea is very unique. Your idea has alot of potential, and I can't wait to see it in action. *Puts thread on my stalking list*

I also love your artwork - I absolutely love it, It's unique along with the beautiful story. The only thing that's bothering me just a bit is Brandons' left arm, it almost makes him look like he's toppling over. Dx (Nothing a little edit can't fix, though. ;D

Other than that, this whole game looks... gorgeous. *u*

Youngster Joey

#9 Post by Youngster Joey »

Thanks for the advice and support everyone! Mostly I'm just working on transfering what I have of the script onto my computer. Nothing really interesting going on, but I'll try and keep you all updated!