[WIP] Sword vs. Staff [fantasy][short][fun]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Chrizine
Regular
Projects: Perios - Chained Sorceress (WIP), Sword vs. Staff (WIP)
Organization: Motdl Productions

Re: [WIP] Sword vs. Staff

#31 Post by Chrizine »

Hey everyone!
Sorry for not posting anything in such a long time...
I still work on this project and got some stuff done, though my progress is really slow because I have so much studying to do.
The issue I had with the movements is resolved and I found some backgrounds. I'm not overly happy with those, because I don't like the style, but at least I found everything I need in one style. I am still looking for better ones to replace them, though.
All I really need are three bgs, so if anyone sees something fitting, please let me know: One is a royal bedroom, one is the inside of Thanys' tower (which could have different looks, that's not really fixed in my mind) and one of a palace hallway/staircase/throne room or something alike.
I am also very happy to say that h3llomiko is sticking with me in spite of my slowness :) I am very thankful to have such a great artist with a pace of working just like me :)
Take a look at Perios - Chained Sorceress!
And also on Sword vs. Staff, my short new project...
And, of course, our blog!
Honest Critique

Chrizine
Regular

#32 Post by Chrizine »

Hello again!

Today I received Chidora's coloured expressions and I'm super happy and working to put them in the game.
I attached one for you, see for yourself.
Attachments
Isn't she beautiful?
Isn't she beautiful?
chidorasmilefullhair.png (80.81 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
Honest Critique

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#33 Post by Coren »

Shinyyyyy...

Chrizine
Regular

#34 Post by Chrizine »

Kirroha wrote:Shinyyyyy...
Yeah, the first thing I thought was "She looks as if she arrived straight out of a shampoo commercial!" ;)
But I like it :)
Honest Critique

Chrizine
Regular

#35 Post by Chrizine »

So, I worked on this some more and figured I should update here and maybe show you all some screenshots!
The main menu screen
The main menu screen
I got new backgrounds and am very happy about that and I also changed my textbox, so it's no longer just the default...
Just a screenshot shortly after the beginning
Just a screenshot shortly after the beginning
What do you think about it? And do you think the font I use is readable enough? I like it on the buttons, but I'm not sure whether it's suitable for all the text... I'm so used to it by now, I can't really judge anymore, so I'd love to hear different opinions on that.

Another thing that confuses me is the way the side image looks more pixelated than the sprite of Thanys. I have no idea why, because when I just open the image file, it doesn't look like this. Any ideas?

Edit: Solved that problem... Apparently it wasn't a good idea that I mirrored the sprite in Irfanview. Did it again in gimp, which fixed a transparency issue I just noticed and it also fixed the pixelation :)
I changed the screenshot here, too, so now it looks better :)
Honest Critique

WickedRaccoon
Veteran

#36 Post by WickedRaccoon »

This has captured my interest, so I shall be stalking this thread. Wish you good luck in completing it! :3

Chrizine
Regular

#37 Post by Chrizine »

WickedRaccoon wrote:This has captured my interest, so I shall be stalking this thread. Wish you good luck in completing it! :3
Thanks a lot for both your interest and the wish!
By now I'm sure I will complete this, the only question is when ^^ I'm not making any promises about that, since it's only partly in my hands.
Honest Critique

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#38 Post by Anne »

I think you can do better with the textbox - as it is the color doesn't really suit your (really pretty) MC. And it'll look better if you extend it all the way under the side image. The font looks fine to me, but I'm not too sure about the color (I generally prefer all text to be black)

Chrizine
Regular

#39 Post by Chrizine »

Anne wrote:I think you can do better with the textbox - as it is the color doesn't really suit your (really pretty) MC. And it'll look better if you extend it all the way under the side image. The font looks fine to me, but I'm not too sure about the color (I generally prefer all text to be black)
First, thanks for your feedback! I really appreciate it :)

I put in the extended version of the textbox, do you think it looks better this way?
Different textbox version
Different textbox version
Now her head sticks out a bit random above it, doesn't it? Maybe it would be better to make a second frame like the textbox as her background instead of it? I would be happy to hear your opinion on it again!

As for the colors... I actually had the textbox designed to fit the rest of the GUI and for that I just took a few colors from Chidoras dress and adjusted them a little... I made a screenshot of the preferences screen for you to get a better impression of it:
The preferences screen
The preferences screen
There it would look weird with black text in my opinion... But having only the text in the textbox in a different color is strange as well... That's why I have it in this dark blue. I hope it's not too big a bother for you :(

For the textbox color, what did you have in mind as an alternative? I'm not quite sure why you think it doesn't fit the MC - is it too similar to a big part of her dress? Or is it because with the transparency it looks like "almost but not quite" the same color?
Do you think it would look better with a dark textbox and light text? It might be easy and still fitting to change it to the colors I have in the frames of the preferences screen...
Or is the color just a bit off and you think it should be a tad lighter or more dark?

Okay, I hope this is not too much questioning... I would be very happy if you took the time to answer them (and everyone else, too, of course!) :)
Honest Critique

Anne
Veteran

#40 Post by Anne »

Yes, I do think that it looks better even if her head sticks out above the textbox. Or you can put her portrait in a frame like here or here, you can use the round one you have for the title screen.
Maybe it's because of transparency that the color looks different (and so does the blue you have for text and gui), but then it's not even the main color in her portrait. What about using skincolor?
I don't think that black text will look strange in the gui as well - and by the way there's nothing wrong with textbox and gui colors not exactly matching, because you never see them on screen at once
Attachments
tb2.jpg

Chrizine
Regular

#41 Post by Chrizine »

Thanks for your reply!
Anne wrote: Maybe it's because of transparency that the color looks different (and so does the blue you have for text and gui), but then it's not even the main color in her portrait. What about using skincolor?
I don't think that black text will look strange in the gui as well - and by the way there's nothing wrong with textbox and gui colors not exactly matching, because you never see them on screen at once
I think skincolor is not a bad idea, I will definitely try how that looks... And play around with the text color as well.

Do you think for the overall GUI it's a problem that the colors don't perfectly match her dress?

I wanted to have the textbox fitting the rest of the GUI because you will see the style of the GUI directly after and before seeing the textbox with every choice in the game. I just thought it will look more polished if it fits all together... I will give this some experimenting, though, and show you what I come up with afterwards.

It might take me some time though, since I won't be able to work on it this weekend.
Honest Critique

Anne
Veteran

#42 Post by Anne »

Chrizine wrote: Do you think for the overall GUI it's a problem that the colors don't perfectly match her dress?
No, I don't think so

Chrizine
Regular

#43 Post by Chrizine »

Anne wrote:
Chrizine wrote: Do you think for the overall GUI it's a problem that the colors don't perfectly match her dress?
No, I don't think so
That's good, one thing less to worry about :) Thanks for taking the time to give me your advice!
Honest Critique

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#44 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Interesting project!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Chrizine
Regular

#45 Post by Chrizine »

Hazel-Bun wrote:Interesting project!
Thank you! I hope you will like the result :)
Honest Critique