Coloring tutorials?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

Coloring tutorials?

#1 Post by SilverxBlue »

I've had Photoshop CS4 for weeks already and I've only been using it for photo editing and making Menu buttons, dialog boxes, and disastrous logo attempts. I was wondering if someone could give links to good CG and character art coloring tutorials? That way I'd be able to help my artists on my future VNs, I will never be able to help them with lineart since I suck at drawing. -_-

Thanks in advance. :D
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Coloring tutorials?

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

There are a whole bunch of tutorials on DA. http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/ ... p/?order=9
I didn't type in the search words because I spell colour with a u and a lot of people don't, so it can mess with the search. You can try browsing through them.

If you have any questions I can try my best to answer them for you ^^

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#3 Post by SilverxBlue »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:There are a whole bunch of tutorials on DA. http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/ ... p/?order=9
I didn't type in the search words because I spell colour with a u and a lot of people don't, so it can mess with the search. You can try browsing through them.

If you have any questions I can try my best to answer them for you ^^
Thank you very much! I'll be keeping that in mind then. :)
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#4 Post by YonYonYon »

ImageImage

Duredhel
Regular

#5 Post by Duredhel »

I did a Painter one ages ago. It's not for the right program but I figure some of the stuff in it might come in handy;

http://0-duredhel-0.deviantart.com/gall ... 86#/ds62rz

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#6 Post by Alera »

Wow- MangaAcademy! ...>.> I kind of used to be an admin there. Anyway!

There are really a lot of useful things there. And all around DA!

Lil advice: With so many resources though- take your time and try to learn the basics and most useful things in your program. Then advance to learning techniques. Don't try anything fancy at first and don't expect such awesome results like in the tutorials from the first tries. Practice of course is the best you could do. ^^
Maybe try going after a single colouring style in the beginning too.
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by SilverxBlue »

Thank you so much guys! :)
Alera wrote:Lil advice: With so many resources though- take your time and try to learn the basics and most useful things in your program. Then advance to learning techniques. Don't try anything fancy at first and don't expect such awesome results like in the tutorials from the first tries. Practice of course is the best you could do. ^^
Maybe try going after a single colouring style in the beginning too.
Thanks for the tip. And I totally believe you with the whole practice thing, Practice makes perfect! :)
Oh and sorry for this but what is the easiest coloring style to try first? (I'm a noob! :lol:)
Image Image
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#8 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

SilverxBlue wrote: Thanks for the tip. And I totally believe you with the whole practice thing, Practice makes perfect! :)
Oh and sorry for this but what is the easiest coloring style to try first? (I'm a noob! :lol:)
The easiest, in my opinion, is a hard cell shade technique using a multiply layer function. This is when you do your base layer, then create a layer set to multiply and use a single colour for the shadows. It is very easy and functional. There are also variations of this technique, such as using multiple layers, multiple colours, gradients and erasers.

If you want, I can do a tutorial for you on basic colouring techniques? It would be in a little while because I have some things to do first, but that kind of thing would probably be useful to people who are not so much artsy. What program do you use?

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by SilverxBlue »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:The easiest, in my opinion, is a hard cell shade technique using a multiply layer function. This is when you do your base layer, then create a layer set to multiply and use a single colour for the shadows. It is very easy and functional. There are also variations of this technique, such as using multiple layers, multiple colours, gradients and erasers.

If you want, I can do a tutorial for you on basic colouring techniques? It would be in a little while because I have some things to do first, but that kind of thing would probably be useful to people who are not so much artsy. What program do you use?
Aw Really? Thank you very much! It's nice to master the basics first before I go to anything that's much more complicated. :D And I wouldn't mind, I'll wait. The program that I use is Photoshop CS4.
Image Image
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#10 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Awesome. I use CS3 so everything should be pretty much the same :) I will be sure to do it soon and stick it up for people.

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#11 Post by Alera »

SilverxBlue wrote:
Thanks for the tip. And I totally believe you with the whole practice thing, Practice makes perfect! :)
Well- yes, it's what @Auro-Cyanide said. :3

I am also interested in seeing that tutorial, even trough I have my own and pretty different cell-shading technique, it's always good to see and try something new!
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#12 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Phew, I got the tutorial done. Sorry for the wait ^^
You can see it here: http://auro-cyanide.deviantart.com/#/d3g5xnz
i tried to explain as best I could, feel free to ask any questions :)

Nimuell
Regular
Projects: Cold Hands, Beautiful Boring People

#13 Post by Nimuell »

I'm not the complete newb, but even I found your tutorial useful C:
Because I usually color differently, but now I'm all eager to try your way of coloring. Anyway it's really good and easy to understand tutorial. Thank you)
True happiness comes from the joy of deeds well done, the zest of creating things new. (c) Antoine de Saint-Exupery
http://www.nimuell.deviantart.com/

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by SilverxBlue »

Oh thanks so much! I'll start learning this as soon as possible, but I'll probably practice with Elze's lineart...
I'm so sorry Elze!
Image Image
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!