Tradional to Digital Drawing

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

Tradional to Digital Drawing

#1 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Well, I am not pretty sure if its even the right place to post this but here goes...

I used to draw tradionally and I never even touched a pen tablet before... I was really good(not that I'm boasting) but after getting a pen tablet, I can't draw anything better anymore than letters TT^TT I was a member of Arts club and we need traditional drawings. I got permission to draw digitally but i feel out of place and wanted to draw traditionally better again. Any advices?
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Tradional to Digital Drawing

#2 Post by LVUER »

One word: practice. No matter digital art or traditional art, if you didn't practice/draw at all for some time, your skill will rust. The longer the rustier you are.

Your traditional art skill suffer because you haven't draw traditionally for quite some time. So better train those skill once again from the scratch...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

redcat
Regular

#3 Post by redcat »

Do the lineart traditionally, scan it, and then do the coloring digitally.

I found out that no matter how good my tablet is, the old pencil+paper is still much more comfortable for sketching...
Meowwngg...??

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Drawing with a tablet can be a bit tricky and takes a while to get used to. One of the major things is getting over the hand-eye co-ordination issue of not being able to look at what your hand is doing. I didn't have this problem myself, but it dies throw a lot of people. Generally it is just practice. I find that both sides have advantages. I like how you have a grand overview when you use pencil and paper because you can see everything long range and close up easily, while you have to zoom in and out with a computer. Plus, I do have more co-ordination with a pencil since I have been drawing like that for a long time. The upside for digital is that there is an undo button, the tools are flexible, there are layers and you can work on massive and small scale easily.

Try to be natural and loose on the computer as you can. When sketching, work at a fairly far distance, and then zoom in more to ink or do details. You have to use long gestures to get smooth lines. Sai also has a nifty auto smoothing thing for inking. But at the end of the day, it is like anything else with art, you just have to keep doing it until your body and brain figure out what is going on :)

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#5 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Me too, before when I'm still pretty much a "master" in traditional art... that occured to me. After I bought my tablet, I haven't touched my colored pencils and markers, which is almost like a bit weird now.

But the thing in me is that I have less time committed to the PC than that when I'm doing nothing XD so I spend that time doodling/sketching, and little-by-little, I got my traditional talent back :D

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

#6 Post by EternalDream »

I don't know if it's just me but my digital drawings improved my traditional ones, probably because I sucked so much at traditional before xD

Um, I think if you really want to get back your traditional talent, then ditch your tablet for a while and start traditional art only. I mean, it's kind of like you cook a certain food for the past 12 years, then you start cooking another one, and then you get back to your original food. It'll take time, but you can always get what you had, but slightly forgot, back. ^^ (I know that what I wrote was the weirdest analogy ever, but that's honestly how I see it)

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by OtomeWeekend »

I'd try to practice more :D I dunno if I'll be able to really leave my tablet FOR A WHILE(since the new tablet I've ordered would be arriving soon and i already know that i won't be able to resist not to draw like crazy with that :( )
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

#8 Post by EternalDream »

Haha, I know what you mean, OtomeWeekend~ I also just got my tablet (first tablet, yay! 8D) yesterday, and I'm like ditching homework to draw on it like crazy xD

aestate
Regular
Projects: Twinkle Twinkle

#9 Post by aestate »

I can definitely relate to you! Drawing digitally feels completely different from drawing traditionally...I have the exact same problem (although my traditional art was never really that great, haha). Whenever I draw with a pencil and paper, I always mentally sort of "CTRL-Z" when something looks wrong. LOL.

What I try to is sketching at school (when the teachers start going off into tangents and ranting, which my teachers are prone to doing...) and drawing digitally other times.

Also, sort of off-topic, but (maybe it's just me) does anyone else find that their digital and traditional drawing styles are kind of...different? D:
tumblr.Umbrella Cookie.dA.
Current Project: Twinkle Twinkle.

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#10 Post by Watercolorheart »

I wish there was a good way to do sprites in games traditionally with multiple outfits and expressions besides tracing paper. But I digress.

You know, I have always wanted to do sprites traditionally using watercolour to do multiple faces for the small icons.
I'm not even the same person anymore

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#11 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Doing sprites traditional is possible, but time consuming and will most likely involve tracing of some sort XD Old school animation was like that, with artists working from the previous cell sheet to create new ones. There is one person on here that is ding traditional sprites, and they are working out quite nice. Oh yes, it is Abeiramar and her project Cadencia.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by OtomeWeekend »

thanks guys for advices... actually i don't know if i can take a break for A WHILE in my tablet especially since i just ordered a new one and it might arrive anytime soon this week or the next :( I'll try my best to do it and i also bought a book for many references. :)