My drawings, Critique please

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

My drawings, Critique please

#1 Post by HigurashiKira »

Eh, I really need some pointers to better my drawings.
But without a scanner or tablet, you guys are gonna have to judge with what pictures I have.

Any tips would be helpful ^.^

These were the best pictures a cellphone camera can take.
;___;
Last edited by HigurashiKira on Mon May 30, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

Re: My drawings

#2 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

well, going by each one,

pic 1:
she a really long face. This isn't always bad, but it generally only looks good on overly laid back male characters. It only makes it worse that she's cross-eyed and doesn't have enough space between the eyes.

the neck accessory could use some thickness. Even if it's paper thin, it'd be a good idea to draw it separately from the rest of the neck so it doesn't make the neck look flat.

her proportions are really extreme. try not to have the chin be much higher than the shoulders as even a little bit implies a really tall look. Also, it looks like the character is supposed to be female, but the width of the shoulders, torso, and arms look like a football player. try to avoid going more that 2 1/2 face's worth on the shoulders

the tie is too straight. ties generally get wider as they go down. also, knots are almost never rectangular. an upside down triangle would be a more common shape.

pic 2:
this picture has a lot of stylization that would be good if it looked like it was on purpose. the cheek bone would be good, if it weren't for the hair and beard, which are both really flat looking. the beard needs to show more of it's attachment to the chin, and the hair needs more variation the spikes at the top.

the neck is too big. it would look better if it were either shorter or thinner, depending on what kind of character he's supposed to be.

just like in the first pic, the torso is a bit too wide, though not as much in this one. The arms are definitely too massive for someone of that build, which is made worse by the thickness of the wrists. for the hands, I would suggest getting some examples or tutorials so you can learn the anatomy. The arms and hands also make the shirt seem sloppy just by being nearby.

pic 3:
I think this is the best of the four. The only major problem I can see is that the hand isn't any better than in pic 2.

pic 4:
her face is a lot better than that of pic 1. However, the jaw is too defined near the ear. at that angle, it should look like it's flowing into the neck, like in pic 2. Also, the hair tie is too stiff. it should show some indication the it's wrapping around the hair.

the body has the same problem as pic 1.

overall:
assuming these are in chronological order, you're getting better at drawing hair and getting a good proportion for the head. If you can just get the body to be the right size, your drawing will greatly improve.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by HigurashiKira »

You wanna know something sad? I took my time with the first two pics and the last two I did in 20 minutes each.
;___;
And yes, they are in chronoligical order.

Tachyglossus
Regular
Projects: Sprite Art for: "Final Banquet", "365 Days"

#4 Post by Tachyglossus »

Here's my take on the images.

Picture 1:

Facing us straight on, the top of her head should be a little more flat. Furthermore, her neck needs to be shorter, and the neck accessory, as mentioned, should have some width to it, even if it is very thin it won't be flush with her neck. Her eyes should be more space apart, or, at the very least, centered more.

Now, I personally se NOTHING wrong with her long face. I have seen women with long narrow faces, and they look just fine! I just wouln't make the chin so pointy. Furthermore, I get the impression her sleeves are puffed somewhat, so I don't see that her shoulders are actually TOO broad... except that she does have a narrow face which suggests a slimmer build.

Picture 2:

It's nice that you gave this guy a squarish jaw; too many people seem to go for the narrow, pointed, feminine jawlines for their men. HOwever, his facial hairneeds work; it doesn't look like a part of him. It looks like something he taped under his lip. Personally I don't think his torso needs to be thinned out. It works with his none-feminine jaw to be that width. However, his wrists and hands need work; he has sausage fingers!

Whoops, I ran out of time before I could give my take on the two later pictures, but I agree that Pic 3 is your best of the lot!

Zylinder
Veteran

#5 Post by Zylinder »

Going by picture as well :

1. Her iris are both nearer to the inner corner of her eye. This gives her a sort of ( o_o ) look. In the case where she is looking directly at us, her iris should be in the middle of the eye. They should be coordinated (both left, both right, or both in the middle) to make it look natural. I would suggest curving the necklace a little as well, to give it the impression that the neck is 3-dimensional and that it curves with it as well. This depends on the type of necklace you have in mind of course.

2. His necks and arms, as well as fingers, are too thick. If your aim was to make him muscular/macho, it's not by making them thicker. Either way, arms, whether female or male's should have segments/shapes. Try and define the shapes a bit more, to make them more realistic-looking. For fingers, you've got it down pat. Just need to slim it down and maybe accentuate the shapes a bit more.

Female/male arms look roughly like these :

3. Underarm section needs to be defined some more to make it look more angular/less thick, but overall, pretty good. And 4. of course, I can find nothing to nitpick with you about. It's got everything down pat nicely. =) I think your drawings are pretty nice though! Keep up the good work. ^__^b

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

Hmm...

#6 Post by mugenjohncel »

Let's see... Anatomically speaking... most of the flaws has already been stated by previous posters... I should point out one thing that really sticks out that needs to be addressed... and that is...

...the hair

Or rather, the lack of proper planning... I can safely assume you are after the generic anime style of drawing and in generic anime style, one of the things that differentiate one character from another besides the eyes (in some cases nose and mouth) is...

...the hair

That's right... I suggest you take time and develop the hair really carefully. In all of your examples if you visualize them in 3D you'll notice that the hair placement symmetry is well... off... unless of course it was intended to be that way but when drawing hair don't only consider what looks good but also what and how the hair on the other side will appear... not only that, you should also aim for consistency...

While I really wish I could put a side by side comparison between your drawing and some suggestions I can come up with... this is Lemmasoft Forums and really honest critics are not well taken here based on the forums history (or what I have personally encountered)... chances are... one or two regular members might irk and will or might post as anonymous or go sock puppet and flame me... it happened before, it happened to someone else and it will definitely happen again...

So I'll just say... practice makes perfect... :)

"POOF" (Disappears)

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: My drawings, Critique please

#7 Post by HigurashiKira »

Today I was bored and drew this:

Music related to this drawing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W0a78iuJl8

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by HigurashiKira »

Bumpu.
I'm really, really, REALLY messed up in the head.
Poor Tina, got the blunt of my wrath...
Attachments
Caption: "I....trusted you....."
Caption: "I....trusted you....."

Tachyglossus
Regular
Projects: Sprite Art for: "Final Banquet", "365 Days"

#9 Post by Tachyglossus »

Not nearly messed up enough; there needs to be more blood, MORE!

(*Isn't int he frame of mind to do proper critiques presently*)

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#10 Post by Fawn »

Hrm, arms don't rip like that. Think of the tendons and the bones that would stick out. It's very hard to completely take off parts of a limb unless you actually sawed it off, so the rest of the arms would most likely be connected some how. It's easier to rip off the arm from the shoulder, since the arm socket is easier to detach and the flesh would probably be easier to rip.
Most people with no arms have had them sawed off, never ripped off.

For overall improvement of your art I highly recommend human anatomy books such as http://www.scribd.com/doc/2433658/Andre ... -its-Worth and copying photos, it might not sound helpful for drawing anime, but you'll be amazed how much it actually is :)

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by HigurashiKira »

Fawn wrote:For overall improvement of your art I highly recommend human anatomy books such as http://www.scribd.com/doc/2433658/Andre ... -its-Worth and copying photos, it might not sound helpful for drawing anime, but you'll be amazed how much it actually is :)
Ah, those anatomy books, reminds me of my drawing class. My teacher had us do those at least 2 times a month, I never learned even after all those times doing them :V
Though I'll look into it.

Decided to "remake" one of my older drawings by making the character younger and changing a few things.

BTW, Demetori has great insperation music.
--------------
This is how he looked:

This is how he looks now:

I like how I made him younger. He looked too old to be in his late teens in the other one :V

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by HigurashiKira »

Wonder if I can bump this? :o

Here's my newest drawing:

No hands because I couldn't make them look good >__>

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#13 Post by MaiMai »

Try drawing hands regardless of whether they look good or not. You're not going to get any better by hiding them in your drawings.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by HigurashiKira »

MaiMai wrote:Try drawing hands regardless of whether they look good or not. You're not going to get any better by hiding them in your drawings.
True, although to be fair: They're easier to draw when they're NOT attached to a body.

Though I did try to make them as best as I could.
Attachments
Are they small enough now, or do my hands put Ryukishi's to shame?
Are they small enough now, or do my hands put Ryukishi's to shame?

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by HigurashiKira »

This picture is odd, but I spent my time on it, so I may as well post it :V
Hands are still unforgiving
;_;
Attachments
img018.jpg