Requirements of a voice actor/actress?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

Requirements of a voice actor/actress?

#1 Post by manga_otaku »

Hey there xD I was just wondering about what is actually needed and what, apart from recording read lines for a character, do you do as a voice actor/actress?
The thing is I've been thinking about reading lines - now I'm not saying I have an amazing voice, because even though I live and was born in England, I still have a bit of Cantonese accent behind my voice =w=" (...supposedly. I've never recorded myself singing or speaking...it's unnatural ok? >3<")
Help? ^o^
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

Kimiko
Regular

Re: Requirements of a voice actor/actress?

#2 Post by Kimiko »

Well… in fact all you really need is a voice and a good microphone (or a studio), where you can record it.
Warning: Following statements are only based on my own experience (Actually, I just spoke a lot of non-commercial (fandub, etc.) roles with a few exceptions).
But voice acting is waaay harder than just “recording some read lines for a character”. It’s like acting, but you have to express the same feelings of the character only with your voice. Wanna improve your performance? PRACTISE. Take acting classes or go to the drama club at your local school. That’s all you can do except for learning some breathing techniques to control your voice… ;3
Aaand~ (if there’s no special reviser or the like for that) you’ll have to look if your voice fits the mouth movements of the character (p.e. in anime cutscenes). In most VNs and other games it’s not necessary, though.

The equipment is really important, too. I've heard so many beautiful voices getting ruined by noises or simply really bad mics... it's a real pity! T__T There's just one penalty... good equipment is really expensive! >3< Well... For beginners I'd recommend this mic. It's a (rather cheap) USB microphone, so you don't have to buy a mixer extra! ^^
Using the right software you can edit your takes. I'm currently using Sony Vegas and AudaCity (It's free! ^o^) for that.
manga_otaku wrote:I'm not saying I have an amazing voice, because even though I live and was born in England, I still have a bit of Cantonese accent behind my voice =w="
Well, it's not exactly necessary to speak English perfectly, as long you can empitomize the character. Speaking from experience. OTL

Umm... I think that's all... ^^' Sorry for my bad english... T__T
I'm going to smile like nothing's wrong. Talk like everything's perfect, act like it’s all a dream and pretend it's not hurting me.

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

Re: Requirements of a voice actor/actress?

#3 Post by manga_otaku »

Kimiko wrote:But voice acting is waaay harder than just “recording some read lines for a character”. It’s like acting, but you have to express the same feelings of the character only with your voice.
Ok. That sounds easy enough, but I know it'll be way more difficult in reality =.="
Kimiko wrote:Aaand~ (if there’s no special reviser or the like for that) you’ll have to look if your voice fits the mouth movements of the character (p.e. in anime cutscenes). In most VNs and other games it’s not necessary, though.
RELIEF. I suppose that most people prefer to just use still sprites with different expressions - I know I do >3<"
Kimiko wrote:The equipment is really important, too. I've heard so many beautiful voices getting ruined by noises or simply really bad mics... it's a real pity! T__T There's just one penalty... good equipment is really expensive! >3< Well... For beginners I'd recommend this mic. It's a (rather cheap) USB microphone, so you don't have to buy a mixer extra! ^^
Using the right software you can edit your takes. I'm currently using Sony Vegas and AudaCity (It's free! ^o^) for that.
Thank you for the links~! I might have to finish my exams before I tell my mother why I want a USB microphone for £49.45, but it'll be worth it xD I just got to find the right place and learn how to express feelings easier~!

And your English is awesome :) A*'s to you~!
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]