~Hayzel's Stuff ~ Please deposit tips or comments <3

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

~Hayzel's Stuff ~ Please deposit tips or comments <3

#1 Post by Hayzel »

Haha. Here are two of my better drawings. You can also see another one in my thread for Lost Dreams...the one with boxers haha. I use paint tool SAI and well...I can't get my line art to look the way I want....in fact my sketches almost look better than the completed results. ( I can't do BG ;-;)

Characters below are Sorbet and then Noirian. They are supposed to be for a web comic but my partner is swamped with school work...I digress...please enjoy ^.^

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

Re: ~Hayzel's Stuff ~ Please deposit tips or comments <3

#2 Post by Greeny »

Not bad for anatomy.
Try coloring your lines, or thinning them at the ends. Actually, both might work well for your style.
Also, your lines are choppy. Does SAI have a path tool? GIMP has something like that, you can define smooth curves with it.

Also, more shading, and use more saturated (colorful) shade colors. Cell shading might work out for you.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#3 Post by Hayzel »

Greeny wrote:Not bad for anatomy.
Try coloring your lines, or thinning them at the ends. Actually, both might work well for your style.
Also, your lines are choppy. Does SAI have a path tool? GIMP has something like that, you can define smooth curves with it.

Also, more shading, and use more saturated (colorful) shade colors. Cell shading might work out for you.
;-; Thank you for the tips...but could you explain a bit more in detail. I've only been doing digital stuff for a year so I never took the time to learn lingo haha. So what do you mean by coloring lines, path tool, and cell shading haha <3

kratos_arawn

#4 Post by kratos_arawn »

Paint Tool Sai has a line tool which looks like this [\]. It even lets you control line width at specific points and its a lot less taxing on the wrists than the pen tool in Photoshop. Try using it on a new layer over your current drawing. It'll help you make more precise lineart.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#5 Post by Fawn »

I'd suggest using thinner lines, or varying your line shapes. If you want to color the lines, use a very dark version of the shade you're coloring around. Also your eyes seem a bit shapeless, two curves and a circle. Try copying eyes from styles you like, or better yet copy some real-life eyes to get the feel for how eyes really look.

Overall it'd be best if you learned how to shade realistically- Anime shading is really just very simplified realistic shading.

Hope that helps :)

Hayzel
Veteran

#6 Post by Hayzel »

Fawn wrote:I'd suggest using thinner lines, or varying your line shapes. If you want to color the lines, use a very dark version of the shade you're coloring around. Also your eyes seem a bit shapeless, two curves and a circle. Try copying eyes from styles you like, or better yet copy some real-life eyes to get the feel for how eyes really look.

Overall it'd be best if you learned how to shade realistically- Anime shading is really just very simplified realistic shading.

Hope that helps :)
^^;;; I tried copying Takaya-sensei's eye style but I guess it doesn't show haha. Is there a tool I can use to shade? If it were like regular shading it'd b easy but In have to change colors if I want something darker instead of pressing harder as I would with a pencil.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#7 Post by Fawn »

Her(?) eyestyle is very very stylized. Trying to draw something so stylized when you're first starting is a big no-no. It will not come out how you want it to because you won't be able to understand the artist's style. And well, that's impossible to do, unless by some miracle you get her to come and teach you how to draw. :P

Practice something less stylized and more detailed (maybe like this: http://cdn.thefrisky.com/images/uploads/anime_eyes.jpg) the more detailed you learn to draw the easier it will be to get a style like that.

As for shading, well, I'm bad at explaining, so here's some good tutorials:

http://karukarukira.deviantart.com/art/ ... -147683973

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9yRjhMuhIQ

Have fun :D

Hayzel
Veteran

#8 Post by Hayzel »

I've been drawing for several years =.= I just started doing digital stuff though XD

Thank you for the tut's <3

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by 15385bic »

I reckon varying lines would help too - there's a way on sai...i just cant remeber it anymore bacause i use a tablet ^^'.

also - do base colours on seperate layers then add layers for shading over the top and click "clipping group" - this makes it so that any shading/colouring will not go anywhere except over ur base layers =D - no worries about going over lines again....hopefully ;P

Hayzel
Veteran

#10 Post by Hayzel »

15385bic wrote:I reckon varying lines would help too - there's a way on sai...i just cant remeber it anymore bacause i use a tablet ^^'.

also - do base colours on seperate layers then add layers for shading over the top and click "clipping group" - this makes it so that any shading/colouring will not go anywhere except over ur base layers =D - no worries about going over lines again....hopefully ;P
Hao....bic...I'm gonna take you home! Image

Fan-boying aside. I'll try doing that stuff ^.^ I took a look at one of your art things a bit ago to see how changing expressions and clothes worked so I can look to it to see how to layer the folders ^^ <3

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by 15385bic »

Hayzel wrote: Hao....bic...I'm gonna take you home! Image

Fan-boying aside. I'll try doing that stuff ^.^ I took a look at one of your art things a bit ago to see how changing expressions and clothes worked so I can look to it to see how to layer the folders ^^ <3
Lol - heard that before :lol:
and the kidnapping too.....but hey ur better off kidnapping someone better and can work harder....literally - that Anonymous character was my first VN sprite i ever did and it took me over a year before i even attempted Kai XD <-- i'm very lazy

Eh yeah... my folder often have the collapsed version of what i do - usually i have like over 50 layers because there'd be a folder with several shades and highlights for every base colour i do so i can change the colours if i wanted
what you guys get is the merged layers - so it wont show u much - prob better to read a tutorial somewhere.....

but it will make it easier to use if u separate parts into folders =)

Hayzel
Veteran

#12 Post by Hayzel »

15385bic wrote:
Hayzel wrote: Hao....bic...I'm gonna take you home! Image

Lol - heard that before :lol:
and the kidnapping too.....but hey ur better off kidnapping someone better and can work harder....literally - that Anonymous character was my first VN sprite i ever did and it took me over a year before i even attempted Kai XD <-- i'm very lazy

Eh yeah... my folder often have the collapsed version of what i do - usually i have like over 50 layers because there'd be a folder with several shades and highlights for every base colour i do so i can change the colours if i wanted
what you guys get is the merged layers - so it wont show u much - prob better to read a tutorial somewhere.....

but it will make it easier to use if u separate parts into folders =)
-pics up and carries you away-
mine! I shall keep you under my bed and you can teach me!

Hayzel
Veteran

#13 Post by Hayzel »

I tried gradation....
Paper->SAI->Gimp = this ;-;

Maybe I should invest in learning how to gimp on it s own or find a better drawing thing.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#14 Post by Fawn »

Sai is honestly the best route, it's actually pretty simple. Gimp is only good for image filtering, it's not as smooth as Sai and is very difficult to learn.

What steps did you do in gimp instead of Sai? I can teach you how to do them in sai if you don't know what to do. :)

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by HigurashiKira »

Hair defies logic and eyes feel a bit off, and something is wrong with his ear >>;

Also, his "gloce" appears to be transparend since we can see his shoulder.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~