artist question[me no likey]

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
mooo

artist question[me no likey]

#1 Post by mooo »

to my fellow artists: is it normal to feel that everything you make/draw is completely 'wonky'? that your creation is so hidious that you give yourself a timeout to "think about what you've done" only to sit in the corner wishing you had a snack or at least some juice. how to you get over this feeling? or is there something wrong with me?

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

Re: artist question[me no likey]

#2 Post by Hayzel »

No no. Everyone does this. I do it too. But you're the only one that will see it unless you point it out or ask others to look for it. If you want to get over it don't throw away anything you draw. That way as you progress you can look back at your progress for a confidence boost.

mooo

#3 Post by mooo »

i have never thrown a drawing away in fact i have boxes full of them not to mention another box of sketch books when i do look back all i see are flaws

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Not so much now, but I have been drawing for about 7 years (seriously since I was about 14). There are always going to be flaws though and the only way to get better is to practice. Stoping and moping about it won't get you anywhere, you just have to try again. Over time you get to see improvement and that is great for your confidence. You just have to continue to challenge yourself as you go along.

mooo

#5 Post by mooo »

i have been drawing for about seven years also but have found that i the lack motivation its been off and on alot because i dont know where i am going with it or what to do with it.but i keep drawing inspite of diapointment. what inspires you?

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#6 Post by Snow Blossom »

Coincidentally, I have also been drawing for around 7 years, and whenever I notice flaws in my drawings, I work on them until I'm satisfied (seriously, I have spent hours killing myself over how to draw fingers correctly). And it always pays off. If you really cannot stand even looking at your drawing anymore, then I'd suggest going on to draw something you're better at or even do something entirely different and then re-challenge the drawing once you're feeling refreshed. It's never good to draw when you're already predisposed to dislike your drawing.

EDIT: For me, I achieve inspiration through lots of ways. Usually, I'm inspired by a certain manga or real-life event and invent a story based on that and draw its scenes and characters. Or sometimes I just feel like designing clothes. Or sometimes I just combine my favorite themes together (angels, devils, cats, etc.) :P
Last edited by Snow Blossom on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

sorani
Veteran

#7 Post by sorani »

I inspire for improvement. Often, I am inspired from other's great works.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#8 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

7 is a magic number obviously :D

I have drawn on and off as well (I'm a fickle person) but I always come back to it because I love communicating through images. I love drawing characters and telling stories, which is why I am drawn to visual novels as well. I am inspired by numerous things, but most strongly by things that are related to a story, so books, movies and games mostly. My own imagination plays a good part too.

0ion9
Regular

#9 Post by 0ion9 »

Cognitively speaking, we tend to think as if everyone is just the same as us. This seems to also apply to our past selves (who hopefully are much more ignorant than our present self) -- we think of them as if they were us, only stupider; which is BS of course.

In the sense of feeling this way about something I've just drawn -- eh, not so much. "That's not right somehow" is usually the most severe I get.
If it's REALLY wrong, it usually invokes laughter instead.
I do remember earlier in my artistic progress, feeling like you are describing, though.. exactly like you said, that 'everything was wonky'
My experience of that is as a standard 'learning' feeling.. when you have recently moved from
"not knowing how little you know" to "having some idea how little you know", that's when those feelings can kick in.. especially if you insist on beating yourself up for not knowing stuff (rather than using that time to develop more knowledge).
I'm currently a bit further in than that.. so this sense that I don't know a load of stuff is just standard, now. It's not a worry.

Also, totally agreed on art archival -- seeing your development as an artist helps to notice your strengths.

mooo

#10 Post by mooo »

[quote="Snow Blossom"]Coincidentally, I have also been drawing for around 7 years, and whenever I notice flaws in my drawings, I work on them until I'm satisfied (seriously, I have spent hours killing myself over how to draw fingers correctly). And it always pays off. If you really cannot stand even looking at your drawing anymore, then I'd suggest going on to draw something you're better at or even do something entirely different and then re-challenge the drawing once you're feeling refreshed. It's never good to draw when you're already predisposed to dislike your drawing.

satisfaction dosent come easily to me rarely ever and in the few moments in which it does it just as easily slips away again. even when i do draw something i am good at drawing or entirely diffrent i come up feeling short because i dont know what to do after its finished.

mooo

#11 Post by mooo »

seriously how old are you people i feel like i am talking to the elder council of te all knowing. i like it >_<. thank you for your council oh wise ones i think it would be best if i took some sort of spiritual journey to find the anwers.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#12 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Well, I'm 21 (14 + 7). With age comes wisdom. And motor skills.

mooo

#13 Post by mooo »

dont forget wrinkles ;_; but i am only a few years behind you so maybe its experience. i use to think steve from blues clues was the best artist in the world

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#14 Post by Fawn »

Having low confidence helps, actually.

It may seem cruel, but, this is how I started improving:

- Met one of my closest friends online

- She's blunt and honest about everything and doesn't beat around the bush

- She sees my art and tells me how much it sucks, that I could get a lot better if I tried.

- I try, I study, I still suck; and she reminds me of that often. BUT I suck LESS now. (However I still have my moments when I think I'm ~super artist girl~, but then get way in over my head in work =_= )

It might not work for most people (because usually they want encouragement) but having my confidence in my art shattered has helped me a lot. Having really high standards and the attitude of "I'll show them!! I'll be just as good as that, you'll see! Buwahahaha!" helps too. Low standards and hanging on every last positive comment just hinders your success.
Also, I'm 19 right now, been drawing for almost ten years. I'm quite dissapointed in myself, because I wasted so many years thinking I was good enough. It's embarrassing to me that I'm not better... :oops: But again, I have pretty high standards...

Also, mooo- Wrinkles are awesome. Smart people have tons of wrinkles- in their brains. :D

mooo

#15 Post by mooo »

i have a friend like that also he considers himself my "manager" and all he does is bag on my art. i thought it was refreshing considreing all the words of love for my art that i got but thats what i get for taking a sophmore art class as a senior. wrinkles are only awesome on sea cows =]