What drawing softwares do you use?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

What drawing softwares do you use?

#1 Post by OtomeWeekend »

I'm curious on what other people use as their drawing software. :P

Here's mine:

Paint Tool SAI
Photoshop CS5.1
Pixia(not using it much but still including it)

^_^
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

Re: What drawing softwares do you use?

#2 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I'll go and show my thick face and say I use Photoshop CS2. How prehistoric of me. XD
I also use GIMP, but not that often. I barely even touch it now.
And when I get bored, I go to MS Paint and dA Muro XD

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#3 Post by Fawn »

@Lumen- CS2 is actually really good for drawing, I have CS5 and it's really no different other than a couple silly added filters.

There's not really a vast amount of different graphics programs, so you'll probably get a lot of repeat answers on here. Sai is the way to go for anime art because it's so easy to use. It's really not what you use though, it's how you use it- you could still have a super good program and only be able to draw stick figures with it. Though I'd never use gimp to draw, it's a pain in the butt.
But that's enough rambling from me hahaha-
I almost always use Sai for drawings, and Photoshop for logos and graphics.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by OtomeWeekend »

I'm just making this for pure fun and curiosity. :)

A~nd, many people love CS2 and uses it up to this date. If I could I would get it as well because many artist do prefer it than the newer ones. :< But Adobe don't sell old versions and I have no choice but to buy the super expensive CS5.1 Dx
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

0ion9
Regular

#5 Post by 0ion9 »

MyPaint. That's really it for drawing.
(I use GIMP for editing and finishing, MyPaint for everything else (inc touchups). It's fun, straightforward and powerful, so I find it pretty compelling.)

Also I just noticed: your avatar is HUGE. I mean the actual image, not it's displayed dimensions. I found out by zooming in (and the crunchy edges I was annoyed at disappeared, cause it was no longer being scaled down). It's 4 times the size it needs to be.

EDIT: I just remembered: Inkscape, also (mainly for the 'trace bitmap' function to smooth lineart and color areas)
Last edited by 0ion9 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by OtomeWeekend »

i know, but I'm too lazy to crop it and... i change avatars frequently.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#7 Post by lordcloudx »

I'm better at composing images than actual drawing so my software of choice is Photoshop CS4. I prefer to use my scanner to make the basic sketch although I do have a 12-inch tablet which rarely finds any use.

That aside, I think Art Academy for NDS would make quite a fine drawing program (free paint mode). The tools seem to work exactly as you'd expect them to IRL.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#8 Post by KomiTsuku »

Lumen_Astrum wrote:I'll go and show my thick face and say I use Photoshop CS2. How prehistoric of me. XD
I also use GIMP, but not that often. I barely even touch it now.
And when I get bored, I go to MS Paint and dA Muro XD
Hey, it still is my primary program, too. I haven't had a need to drop vast sums of money on an upgrade I really wouldn't use since I don't actually draw. I haven't touched SAI and GIMP is just too confusing for me to give up on CS2.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#9 Post by LVUER »

If Photoshop CS2 is pre-historic then I'm surely an entity that have been around before the creation of our universe. I use Flash MX. You right, not only it's FLASH o_O It's also MX which is very very old (software that almost 10 years old).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#10 Post by luminarious »

ArtRage Pro, although I am thinking of moving on to vector art for my projects.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#11 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

@Fawn : I actually didn't know that :/ I got my copy from my dad like 2-4 years ago and I didn't care what version it was at that time XD

I looked up MyPaint and it looks so pro *_* I also want to get SAI but I don't really have the money to get it. XD
I've seen speedpaints on Youtube with them using SAI, and really, I want to get it *_*
Is it really that good? XD (cause I also heard some people who finds Photoshop better)

Stripe
Regular
Projects: secret!

#12 Post by Stripe »

I find it a lot, lot easier to get smooth lines in Sai; I generally use Sai for lineart, then Photoshop for colouring (unless I'm super lazy in which case I just use Sai for everything |D)

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by 15385bic »

i use a mix of sai and photoshop.
Ditto to what Ris said :P

Candedus
Regular

#14 Post by Candedus »

I tried Photoshop , opencanvas, and paintshop before,
but now I can say ..
SAI is the best for drawing ;D!
the linearting and coloring tools are amazing ^v^

but I also use PS CS3 for effects,textures and so .. = )

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#15 Post by Snow Blossom »

SketchBookPro, since Sai is not available on Mac, which is what I use, as far as I know. It's a sorry alternative ;___; I use Sai sometimes on my mom's Windows computer though.