Art Workshop, FORUM READY (first post)

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Dubzy

Re: Art Workshop, anyone interested?

#16 Post by Dubzy »

I'd love to improve my drawing skills. I'm much more of a background artist but I've been meaning to brush up on my character design

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#17 Post by Sapphi »

I think it's a good idea, but probably won't participate as I'm very busy, and will be taking two art classes here in a few weeks. However, I'm excited to see what comes of it. I agree with the people who recommend some realistic "lessons". I've taken a Figure Drawing class before (and will soon be in another one) and can definitely attest that concentrating on drawing a realistic figure helps a lot when it comes time to draw a stylized one. I could probably also drop in and give a few pointers based on what I've learned at school.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#18 Post by Fawn »

Good idea! But as Auro mentioned, time could be difficult.
Maybe just have a thread with links to featured tutorials and options for "homework", then have people post their finished work when they're done. A couple of art classes I took were like this, it's fun, though it wouldn't be as fun as a full chatroom.
Here's an example of how it would work:
(New topic):
"Today's topic is how to draw trees! Here's some info and tutorials to get you started: (insert links here)

For homework, your options are:

-Go outside and draw a real life tree with traditional media
-Make a digital painting of a tree from photographs
-Lineart and color a tree based off a photograph

Post your finished homework when you're done for critique!"

A tree may seem boring but it'd be good to start out with basics. It's most likely be even better to start out with simple still lifes. :)

This might be better to do in a separate forum, though, since it would get cluttered fast.

ifgrasscouldtalk

#19 Post by ifgrasscouldtalk »

I like Fawn’s idea and if this were to happen I would love to participate in the class. I would appreciate the critique and practice since I will be taking an art class when school starts.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#20 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I'd like to participate, but I don't think a week will be enough for me XD School likes eating up time.

Veniae
Veteran

#21 Post by Veniae »

First of all, thanks to everyone for your interest! I'm glad I got such a response in a short time. Sent everyone willing to participate a PM.

As few people mentioned and I myself had already thought, the tough thing will be the organisation. I intended to make a blog (where to post the prompts and time for a meeting) and a chat room, but as I see it now it would be a bit hard for everyone to gather in the chat at the same time (however fun that would be). So I will probably make a forum with a chat room. There will still be a schedule for chat room meetings, but the threads for the separate prompts/exercises will make it easier for everyone to post when they have time.

On another note, a big thank you for all of the suggestions and ideas, they really helped me.

So far, I'm thinking about making two different types of tasks: prompts and exercises.

The exercises will focus on important aspects of the drawing, such as anatomy, perspective, colours, lightning, that jazz. They will most likely come with a longer time to complete - maybe two weeks. They will consist of still life/figure drawings/landscapes and some such.

The prompts will be both text-based and visual and the participants will have to interpret them and draw in their own style.

The main point is feedback, so there will be some strict words for commenting on others' work.

I'll be glad to hear your thoughts about this concept.

TakeOverWorld
Regular

#22 Post by TakeOverWorld »

This sounds like a good idea, I'd like to take part :)
The prompts and exercise idea souns like it would be good.

bowling pin
Regular

#23 Post by bowling pin »

Signing up for this, as I currently have nothing but free time on my hands...and NEED DIRECTION.

NewMember
Regular

#24 Post by NewMember »

Me too. I wiil also be in charge of compiling the stuff in the workshop into a magazine format.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#25 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

One exercise I remember doing in art at school was:

Pick a real life object to draw, of reasonable complexity. A still life is a good choice. Give yourself only ten minutes to sketch it with whatever you want (I used conte). Give yourself another ten minutes to add colour in whichever medium you want (I used watercolour). Whatever you do, do not go beyond the time limit. The time limit forces you to figure out what are the most important elements in communicating the subject and it is a very good thing to learn, especially if you get bogged in details or you want to draw stylized forms like manga.

Also, as a prompt, I would suggest everyone learning to draw with a sketched skeleton (that basic sketch made up of shapes that you use to plan your drawing). I think that would really help people since I see quite a few people not drawing with bases or guidelines.

Veniae
Veteran

#26 Post by Veniae »

Yes, more people~ Sending PMs.

And I'll be making the forum today.

@NewMember: Thanks, that would be really nice of you.

@Auro-Cyanide: Thank you for the suggestion, I think I'm gonna use it as the first exercise. It seems both useful and easy. If you remember another exercise or think of something of the sort, I'd be really happy if you let me know! I'm probably gonna need much help with this, I'm not very experienced. >.<

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#27 Post by SusanTheCat »

This is sounding totally awesome! I can't wait to start.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Veniae
Veteran

#28 Post by Veniae »

AND IT IS DONE.

http://www.artists-corner.forumotion.net

A few things about your registration:
-It would be nice if you registered with your name from here, so that you'd be more easily recognisable.
-I've made the better part of the forum only for members, so yeah... Register.
-I might make a separate rank for the ones who won't participate, but give tips and help.
-The first to register receives a virtual cookie!

Storytime With Des
Projects: Cloudscape

Re: Art Workshop, FORUM READY (first post)

#29 Post by Storytime With Des »

Ya know, a writer's workshop wouldn't be that bad of an idea.

Veniae
Veteran

Re: Art Workshop, FORUM READY (first post)

#30 Post by Veniae »

Most definitely not. I would love to participate in one.