what do you think now? (GxB VN game)

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
xxcautionxx
Regular

what do you think now? (GxB VN game)

#1 Post by xxcautionxx »

-Edited 24/08-
I Edited It :D

OK so the story of the game goes like this:

Asami is a 16 year girl whose life has been boring and dull. Suddenly, she finds out that they´re moving away... to a (not so) small, not-well-known country (that definitely has influence over world economy ;3 ) named Emelay! The reason for this sudden change? Long ago in Emelay, her father was next-in-line for the throne of one of the kingdoms of Emelay, since his older brother was not completely part of the family. He rejected the throne, eloped with Asami´s mother and moved to Japan. Asami´s mom doesn´t want Asami to not know of her past (and she’s a romance-freak, wants to marry her daughter off already tsk tsk ) , but to regain her title, she needs the proper education. It just so happens, that the dad´s older brother is the headmaster of one of the most recognized schools for teaching those of royal and wealthy lineage, Laurelton Hall Academy. Her parents tell her she has to go to LH Academy, since it would be troublesome for other families and their own to find out about them from other school systems. She finally agrees to go. When she arrives at the school, she realizes one crucial fact her parents didn´t tell her... it´s an all-guy school! Well, she had always wanted an interesting life... right?

By the way, her dad has double intentions ;3 I´m not saying what it is though xD

so...to the people that already commented, what do you think? :)
Last edited by xxcautionxx on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

Re: would YOU play this game? (GxB otome game)

#2 Post by Snowflower »

I think it's a little bit overdone, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't play it :)

The school name is very creative. I like it XD I'll tell you that Ren will be my face.
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

manga_otaku
Veteran
Completed: [KN] Saving Project: Blind? (Part One)

#3 Post by manga_otaku »

Interesting...what I want to know is why her parents would send her to an all-boys boarding school anyway xD
Projects:
WIP|[KN] Day Of Reckoning|
Completed|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part One|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Part Two|[KN] Saving Project Blind: Final Part|
Is available to help with proof-reading (Grammar freak...) Maybe voice-acting in the near future x]

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Frankly speaking, no, I probably wouldn't. Doesn't mean you shouldn't make it of course, I'm probably just not your target audience. There would be people who would play it and those are the one's you need to focus on.

I would also suggest being... careful with artists. Don't forget that this is your project and not their's and so you will have to work to keep them interested (unless you are paying). With skill comes rarity, especially in this niche, and so the better artists are in demand and can pick what projects they want to work on. I mostly advise you being nice, listening to them and perhaps try to give something in return. There is nothing stopping an artist from leaving if they get annoyed and the best way to avoid that is to make them feel involved.

Stripe
Regular
Projects: secret!

#5 Post by Stripe »

Oh, heck yeah, I would! This is the kind of thing I'd love... XD

xxcautionxx
Regular

#6 Post by xxcautionxx »

Snowflower wrote:I think it's a little bit overdone, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't play it :)

The school name is very creative. I like it XD I'll tell you that Ren will be my face.
haha thanks :D oh but how is it overdone? like the characters or the story itself? i want this game to be something enjoyable and not too too deep, its supposed to be like a comedy thing :D
lol hes gonna be your face? < this made me laugh, cause i love typos ( wait... is it?? O_o" )
manga_otaku wrote:Interesting...what I want to know is why her parents would send her to an all-boys boarding school anyway xD
haha its actually a really funny (in my opinion) reason xDD

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Frankly speaking, no, I probably wouldn't. Doesn't mean you shouldn't make it of course, I'm probably just not your target audience. There would be people who would play it and those are the one's you need to focus on.

I would also suggest being... careful with artists. Don't forget that this is your project and not their's and so you will have to work to keep them interested (unless you are paying). With skill comes rarity, especially in this niche, and so the better artists are in demand and can pick what projects they want to work on. I mostly advise you being nice, listening to them and perhaps try to give something in return. There is nothing stopping an artist from leaving if they get annoyed and the best way to avoid that is to make them feel involved.

really? so what kind of type games do you like (my curiousity speaking xD ) i know theres different audiences like the ones who like a deep game, and others who dont want anything serious, etc.. and yes, thank you for your advise on the audience. i´ve been reading comments and forums non-stop last night from 6pm-5am and i sorta have an idea of what i should do and what i shouldnt, and honeslty, i thought nobody would even comment on this, i guess im a little negative sometimes XD but to conclude my endless ranting, thank you :D
PS it there a limit on how many people you can quote? :oops:
Ris wrote:Oh, heck yeah, I would! This is the kind of thing I'd love... XD
me too! -highfives- xD
Me- White! Oranges! Cats! The Simpsons! Square root of 61! TWENTY-FOUR!!.... What was the question again?
Friend- .... How are you....
Me- ..... 24?

wingzofdarkness
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoReNo16 demo), Straight Up: Sister-zoned!

#7 Post by wingzofdarkness »

No, I probably wouldn't play this game. It is a little too cliche for me and having a female singled out by men is not really my "cup of tea". However, you shouldn't let this stop you from doing something you enjoy. Who knows, it might turn out better than how I am assuming it to be. I have never come across anything that has entirely been dislike, so you will have readers for sure.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#8 Post by MaiMai »

I'm pretty unsure of the summary overall and if I had to choose whether I'd play this or not... Honestly, I would try it, but the premise you've come up with is disappointing really. The plot sounds more like your average shoujo manga I'd at least skim through than a visual novel I would want to get immersed in and get to know the characters.

We've all been there-- Japanese high school (c'mon why does it have to be Japanese?) , your 'unique' love interest choices' no parents on the scene.... And an all boys school to top it all off. It's a highly contrived plot overall and even if there will be some people who take interest in your game it's not going to be mind blowing as far as story is concerned (unless you make it a parody, then you better have a good sense of humor to make fun of the shoujo genre). When reading your plot summary, I don't feel like I'm reading about a potential story, I feel like I'm reading a bunch of typical tropes. But if this is what you're willing to work with, you can go with it. There are people here who have clearly expressed their interest at least. And as far as anyone's concerned, you're not going to be able to please everyone with what you got; that would be pretty impossible.

I am all for GxB games, but you shouldn't be afraid to stretch your imagination a little bit more or think of a small twist to make your game a bit more interesting. Again, using RE: Alistair++ as an example, it's a GxB game taking place at a high school, but the twist is that the protagonist Merui encounters all her possible love interests during her quest of gamer revenge. It's her motivations that make her encounters with each of the boys interesting as well as the personality clashes.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#9 Post by Cidz »

well I've liked animes with a girl that goes to an all-boys school before so sure I'd play this. good luck!

xxcautionxx
Regular

#10 Post by xxcautionxx »

MaiMai wrote: We've all been there-- Japanese high school (c'mon why does it have to be Japanese?).
technically its not in japan but the names in japanese xD hmm well i have been thinking why i made it a japanese name, its because i like the ring to it, and since these types of games were originated over ther, i wanted to keep it basic,,, i dont know if that is reason enough tho :oops:
Me- White! Oranges! Cats! The Simpsons! Square root of 61! TWENTY-FOUR!!.... What was the question again?
Me- ..... 24?

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#11 Post by MaiMai »

xxcautionxx wrote:
MaiMai wrote: We've all been there-- Japanese high school (c'mon why does it have to be Japanese?).
technically its not in japan but the names in japanese xD hmm well i have been thinking why i made it a japanese name, its because i like the ring to it, and since these types of games were originated over ther, i wanted to keep it basic,,, i dont know if that is reason enough tho :oops:
Well, yes it's not really a good reason even if there's plenty of Japanese manga that have settings that aren't necessarily Japanese even though the characters have Japanese names. We actually had a good discussion about using certain names in this particular thread which I think you may find enlightening.

If your story isn't taking place in Japan you may have to review your overall setting and environment where it's taking place-- and if you still want to use Japanese names, think of a reason why it's primarily Japanese and what influences made it that way.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

xxcautionxx
Regular

#12 Post by xxcautionxx »

MaiMai wrote:
xxcautionxx wrote:
Well, yes it's not really a good reason even if there's plenty of Japanese manga that have settings that aren't necessarily Japanese even though the characters have Japanese names. We actually had a good discussion about using certain names in this particular thread which I think you may find enlightening.

If your story isn't taking place in Japan you may have to review your overall setting and environment where it's taking place-- and if you still want to use Japanese names, think of a reason why it's primarily Japanese and what influences made it that way.
thank for that thread, i found it very interesting. and its true that my reasons werent good enough. At the beginning i wanted the setting to be somewhere in the united kingdom, becouse of the royalty there, but then i kinda wanted the names to be japanese, because the name they have right now have their meanings, as in Ren being the main guy character and a tsundere, i decided on his surname to be takehiko, which means hero prince, hero for being main chara, and because of an event that happens later in the story, and prince for being ... ehh.. a prince? xD and i´ve also been thinking about the plot, even tho most of the setting, plot, and some parts of the characters are cliche is some ways, i think that as long as they represent their uniqueness in game, that it would be interesting, because i wanna make them characters that leave a lasting imppression, like "wow, i would have never thought of him/her doing something like that, even tho the personalities they have are really "over used" its like if its still a completly different person" or so i imagine. wow im sorry for the long post, i guess i just really wanna show my way of thinking, even though im still an amateur, oh and just in case, its not like im contradicting you or anything, im REALLY new and your like, a really devoted person to this forum and towards helping people out. im really gratefull for all your help.
m(_ _ )m
Me- ..... 24?

miyoyan
Regular

#13 Post by miyoyan »

(:33> Yeah, I know I'm currently involved in this project, but as my role now is almost non-existent I'll give you my opinion anyway)

Saying it's in G.Britain and using Japanese names may be too much. But most people won't recognise the meaning behind Japanese names anyway if the VN is in English, so it will come across more as an obscure pun than something you can play with. Select whatever setting you want. You can bend reality's rules and make it an Alternative Universe -- say, come up with your own names with meanings from latin, anglosaxon, greek, etc etc roots. (For that is useful to look for the etymology of same names to see how they are usually constructed. For example, I've found that most masculine names in modern Greek end in -os with the meaningful bit before. So for some variety I wouldn't give all my characters Greek names). Actually, I find the AU concept underused sometimes -- just make sure it IS an alternative universe and that doesn't look like... well, 'I wanted British royalty with Japanese names!'. At least have some off-hand explanation in-game :)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm late for my appointment <_< shouldn't write these things when I'm short on time!

Will edit later on other things but I think that is the most important. All boys school could be great if used well (Tropes Are Tools -- TvTropes.org), absent parents are... a bit too much, since there can be a reason to include them in the story without them actually intruding and f I should have left long ago

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#14 Post by azureXtwilight »

Sounds pretty much like starry sky... Which I detest XD But if you can come out with something revolutionary, then I'm interested~

xxcautionxx
Regular

#15 Post by xxcautionxx »

miyoyan wrote:(:33> Yeah, I know I'm currently involved in this project, but as my role now is almost non-existent I'll give you my opinion anyway)

Saying it's in G.Britain and using Japanese names may be too much. But most people won't recognise the meaning behind Japanese names anyway if the VN is in English, so it will come across more as an obscure pun than something you can play with. Select whatever setting you want. You can bend reality's rules and make it an Alternative Universe -- say, come up with your own names with meanings from latin, anglosaxon, greek, etc etc roots. (For that is useful to look for the etymology of same names to see how they are usually constructed. For example, I've found that most masculine names in modern Greek end in -os with the meaningful bit before. So for some variety I wouldn't give all my characters Greek names). Actually, I find the AU concept underused sometimes -- just make sure it IS an alternative universe and that doesn't look like... well, 'I wanted British royalty with Japanese names!'. At least have some off-hand explanation in-game :)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm late for my appointment <_< shouldn't write these things when I'm short on time!

Will edit later on other things but I think that is the most important. All boys school could be great if used well (Tropes Are Tools -- TvTropes.org), absent parents are... a bit too much, since there can be a reason to include them in the story without them actually intruding and f I should have left long ago
lol thanks xDD
yeah that is a good idea, and yeah the names and setting have no connection watsoever, hmmm so would a solution be using english names, like... gareth? eugene? GRARFIELD? no wait i think wat you mean is like their last names right? so i can keep the first names :3 ? haha sorry for making you late for your appointment ;3 oh and the parents arent absent xD they´re the ones who made all of this happen ! xDD they just are very good at hiding ;3
azureXtwilight wrote:Sounds pretty much like starry sky... Which I detest XD But if you can come out with something revolutionary, then I'm interested~
hmmm... starry sky? ehh then i think i have a lot of work to do xD the starry sky anime really let me down, i couldnt watch past episode 4 i think. hanks for your opinion :3
PS i really REALLY like Fantasia Realm of Thanos, i only need one more ending ;3
LOL Oswald xD
Me- ..... 24?