what do you think now? (GxB VN game)

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: would YOU play this game? (GxB otome game)

#16 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

The characters names should a) reflect the setting or b) reflect the characters ethnicity/nationality etc. I'm against people using Japanese names for the sake of having Japanese names. It's a bit silly. And the Japanese are not the only one's that use meaning in their names. For instance, my first name means 'wreathed crowned' in Greek.

As for games I like, unique concepts and characters top the list. I have read a LOT of manga, so if I recognise the storyline and it isn't a parody, I'm likely to not touch it. I do actually look at how the writer writes and consider if they could turn a tired cliche into something interesting, but often this is not the case. There has to be more to it then a cliche and the characters really have to shine as individuals. But like I said, you should always make what you want to make first. Making games is a hard enough process without trying to do something you are not into.

miyoyan
Regular

#17 Post by miyoyan »

so would a solution be using english names, like... gareth? eugene? GRARFIELD? no wait i think wat you mean is like their last names right? so i can keep the first names :3 ?
It would sound pretty out of place if no explanation is given (i.e. : they are British royalty...... that has been living in Japan. Wtf.). You could make them their 'nicknames': make them part of an embassy. They wouldn't be royalty but they would be important nonetheless.
Alternatively, you could do something like in Code Geass. Certain parts of the world are under control of Britannia, so characters have all kind of names. (I'm not referring to Lelouch, though, which isn't nor an English nor a Japanese name... more like the English-sounding names and Suzaku.)

I was late for my appointment, but my 'appointer' was later, so :D

Onto less theory and more about putting things in practise... I think you are better off writing things that you know closely. If you went to high school in Spain, write about a system like Spain's -- no matter how much anime and manga you watch, nothing beats actually being there.

But if you still want Japanese names, as I said, make it an AU. Don't state it's in Spain, but make it different enough from Japan to tell it doesn't take place there. Also, have an explanation handy (only foreshadowing in the game is okay, but it should be somewhere in the manual or in the game description) for why they have Japanese names. I don't know. Make Japanese taught in that school, have a crazy Japanese teacher that gives them Japanese names based on their characteristics. Have those names stick for some reason (maybe because they are funnily appropriate for the person, because a character thinks it's interesting people not to know their real name, other may be an otaku...). Do call out to this -- 'And there I was -- stuck with THE bunch of weirdos [who use a Japanese name instead of their own]'.
Have one of them actually have a Japanese name and the main character assume it's another nickname. Just for some fun.

^That's of course only and idea and it doesn't fit some of the things you wanted. You could also have a clichéd plot with a deeper overarching plot -- but the latter should be really interesting and well-thought out. It would become almost the point of the game, so I don't think that'd work in this particular case.

i THINK,,

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#18 Post by OtomeWeekend »

er, prolly... no....i got kinda confused on what's going on and the concept kinda reminds me of houou gakuen misoragumi which is a bit off my league.. ._..... also, just pointing this out but -hiko names aren't surnames but first names. I can prolly guess you wanna name your guys with "prince" meaning relations but i believe you should find a different surnames though I think its your freedom, I don't think I'm the last person who would notice it. Er, Miya(宮) also means prince so you can prolly stick to some surnames with miya on it( miyano, miyaji, miyazaki etc.) But believe me, its kinda confusing and irritating to see that all characters has this same -hikos and miya-s. @_@ I could've understand it if its the main concept like in the manga "Daisuke" where every guys there was named "Daisuke".

Er... just pointing this out. Its still your freedom on what to name them. Besides, if your concept is prince-y thingy, just because their names doesn't bear a "prince" factor doesn't mean they are not princes anymore. ;)
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

xxcautionxx
Regular

Re: what do you think now? (GxB VN game)

#19 Post by xxcautionxx »

Hey, (to everyone who commented) I think i already fixed most of the problems that I had, now everything is understandable and still plot-revelant ;)
Me- White! Oranges! Cats! The Simpsons! Square root of 61! TWENTY-FOUR!!.... What was the question again?
Friend- .... How are you....
Me- ..... 24?