Incostanza: a coffee cup about fickleness

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

Incostanza: a coffee cup about fickleness

#1 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

well, I place this in "skill development" because is a proof of concept inspired by:

- lordcloudx's "so you want..." teacup KN
- the occasional debate on placeholders graphics
- the teacup VN idea of lordcloudx
- the good results with stock or slight edited well-known sprites and bg in some recent very small VN

and I have done this very brief KN on the fickleness together with excessive ambition (a trait I known well, because, trust me, isn't much a stereotype of Italians in general. and I manage to actually get the smaller KN with an actual message, and this from the very skeleton of a new project, using a well-known sprite and a bg lying around on LSF recolored by me.

The actual work was less than half hour for the recoloring of the bg, and ~15 minutes for the putting all together (plus a pair of hours wasted in an attempt to improve the ending, whose still I'm not satisfied)

I wonder if someone understand the message and how is put; I was uncertain to explain now inside a spoiler tag, but in the end, I'm curious if people get the visual & symbolic manner of putting the message; so feel free commenting on this, and on the "coffee cup" concept.

without much ado, here the winsozz and Linux versions: (apologies for the lack of a Mac version, but I feel I'm abusing too of LSF's resources...)
Attachments
incostanza-win32.zip
windoze version
(6.15 MiB) Downloaded 44 times
incostanza-linux-x86.tar.bz2
Linux version
(4.75 MiB) Downloaded 33 times

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

Re: Incostanza: a coffee cup about fickleness

#2 Post by lordcloudx »

Umm... I've read this... twice, to be sure, but I just don't get it.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#3 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

because you must look, not read ! :D

put it simply, the first screen, with sylvie quickly left, then right, represent the swirling of excitement and expectation, then the still, first sylvie fading to sepia (a colour representing the ancient, past things more or less forgotten) then disappearing contemporeaneally to the shoolroom turning sepia represent the fickleness wchich people quickly abandon and forgot their whimsical ambitions, as depicted in your "so you want to..." (the most usage of coding time was in the fine-tune of the timing of the fadings)

where I waste two hours is in the attempts to do a better sepia fading sequence, in my intended depiction, the schoolroom (background) should fade to sepia with the sepia sylvie (sprite) still here, then the sepia sylvie fade out, but I ends always having sylvie fading out contemporaneally to the fading to sepia of the background; this perhaps led to the definitively murky initial post, because I ends tired (and a bit annoyed) in my attempt to coerce the code to DWIM.

And yes, I admit that I don't have explained well the little proof-of concept in my initial post...

Hope to have explained well, and
Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

EDIT: corrected typos

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Alex »

Hm... the explanation has changed my thoughts about it.
Then, maybe it would be better to represent character's words as haiku?

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#5 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

alex... ahem.... the first two lines are the same lines on the skeleton you get from Ren'py when you create a new project, whose by chance fit well in the picture and message and the actual original line is the last, on which I will like to hear your opinion.

And yes, Alex, you have a great good point, this type of work, I have called it "a coffee VN" as a smaller and shorter version of Lordcloudx's "teacup VN" but indeed this can be considered a VH, Visual Haiku....

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#6 Post by lordcloudx »

hmm... well, based on your explanations, I sorta get the message from the visual cues. The last original line still throws me off a bit though.

Did you mean something like: "And so, the game was released... perhaps...?"
Maybe this message would be more effective if you used centered text like this?

Code: Select all

centered "And so, the game was released... perhaps...?
Clarification: The Teacup is the name of the commmunity. http://teacup.lunaen.com and "The Teacup VN Festival" is a yearly event where we feature a new original EVN release every day. We've had two of them so far. The VNs themselves can be anything that the participants want to submit to the event.

2010: http://teacup.lunaen.com/index.php?topic=29.0
2011: http://teacup.lunaen.com/index.php?topic=292.0
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#7 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

uhm... what I was conveying with the visuals is that the brief flame of creativity is often followed by the fading away and dusts of forgetfulness, and IMVHO your suggested wording gives the opposite ambiguity, that some day something more or less complete surfaces, when I want to suggest with the words is that something float around in archives (hence the usage of the fading into sepia)

Also my apologies in not understanding the meaning of "teacup". Here in Italy, sipping a teacup is much longer than sipping a coffee (actually espresso) cup (whose, trust me, is not fast as seems, it's definitively sipping...) and I have taken "teacup" as "15-20 minute enjoying"...

Is better the definition of "visual haiku" suggested indirectly by alex ?

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.