What pixel resolution size is best for drawing?

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Fawn
Moe Imouto

What pixel resolution size is best for drawing?

#1 Post by Fawn »

Fellow digital artists, what resolution do you use to draw in? I hear that 300 px is the best for pictures, but I have issues drawing in that resolution because of my lack of ram- not to mention it outputs giant files.

Is it really worth it to make your game graphics 300px quality? Or will a lower quality do?

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: What pixel resolution size is best for drawing?

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

300 dpi is the recommended resolution for print. All on-screen resolutions are 72 dpi. If you take a screen-shot of your computer it will be 72 dpi for instance. So if you are doing work for on-screen, so games, yes, it is fine to have a lower dpi. The things to note are:

-If you want to print these images and they are not 300 dpi you may to to decrease their size to make them clearer. So if an image is 150 dpi, you may have to half the actual pixel size to get a decent print.
-Another reason why most artists work at a higher resolution and size than is necessary is because when you decrease it, small defects will generally disappear. This can help if your lineart is a little wobbly. Of course this also means details might disappear so you kind of have to hit a balance.
- If you are working at actual size of what needs to be done, make sure the resolution is enough, otherwise there may be nasty pixelation problems.
-You could alternatively keep the 300 dpi and instead work at a smaller size.

I work at A4 with 300 dpi, but that is mostly because I have been trained to have stuff printed and it is better to be safe than sorry with that type of thing. You can't make images bigger after all without effecting quality. This means my images are massively down-sized when used.