Random OCs- Critique Please!

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
eternal eclipsea

Random OCs- Critique Please!

#1 Post by eternal eclipsea »

So these are characters for the VN I'm SORT OF planning. ((Well I HAVE planned it, I just haven't... Written anything for it.))
I have the storyline and everything.. T,T
ANYWAYS. The last (but he was the first) character is the Idol (he doesn't even have a name yet- but it might be Zero or something) And he's a ghostie of an idol who died nearly a year ago. He basically terrorizes your character for messing up his grave.

the second to last char is the shy person!
the second is the Student Council President!
and the first is the guy who is always cold, and always sick, so you'll always see him wearing layers.
(I made them in the opposite order. =P)
I might have used a different style on each of them, so I might end up redrawing half of them. O.O But yep. Please let me know what you think!
Attachments
cold person!
cold person!
president!
president!
shy person!
shy person!
Idol!
Idol!
Apologies for the newb-ness that will probably show in my posts. >>
Just point it out if it bothers you. =D

My DeviantART

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

Re: Random OCs- Critique Please!

#2 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

Something... is horribly wrong with their anatomy :shock: All I can say is that the heads are far too big for those tiny bodies of theirs.
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

eternal eclipsea

#3 Post by eternal eclipsea »

Yeeeah. >,> It's a baaaad habit.

My DeviantART

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by OtomeWeekend »

well, it works as chibis so its fine. Though i suggest you make the necks match the bodies instead of the head's size and make it shorter(its quite long, making it look weird) cause that makes it weird :/

Also, instead of making the faces vertically long, make them horizantally, if you aim for cuteness, it adds up :) -----IF YOU'RE AIMING FOR CHIBIS.

Now, if not. you want normal sprites, then you need to work first of all on your anatomy like ennui said. They have too big heads but believe me, its not the head that was out of it, it was the body. :/ You need to make their body larger or it would be viewed as chibis with the way you drawn their bodies or the hands. :)

Also the very last one looks cute it has the best proportion in all of them. :)
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Weakjounin
Veteran

#5 Post by Weakjounin »

Your shy character remind me of Satou from working!!
:D
At first I thought the lines would be bad, but upon closer inspection your bodies aren't bad, they're just small. (I always feel bad talking like this cause I suck at art :'( )

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#6 Post by TsukiShima »

They are actually good, you're able to draw the basics well.

I think the most easiest way to improve is to draw more and more, sometimes it doesn't matter if people don't like it. You need to enjoy your drawing, don't think much about quantity or quality, make it as fun hobby. Once you think you're finally in a different level, browse back your own drawings. I'm sure you'll be satisfied with where you are now.

One of the way that I learned to draw anime is by using references. Then I read a lot of manga and see the pictures in it. Then I try my best to get the same result as in the manga (of course, it wasn't 100% perfect)

I like your drawing honestly <3 Only the cold person doesn't seem that cold to me. The idol and president is the best for me! Keep it up!

Dharma Fish
Regular
Projects: West Falls
Organization: Dharma Fish Studio

#7 Post by Dharma Fish »

OtomeWeekend wrote:well, it works as chibis so its fine. Though i suggest you make the necks match the bodies instead of the head's size and make it shorter(its quite long, making it look weird) cause that makes it weird :/

Now, if not. you want normal sprites, then you need to work first of all on your anatomy like ennui said.
These appear to be highly stylized cartoons. I assumed the large heads were intentional. The anime cartoons everyone on these forums likes so much are basically the same way. Eyes are too big, mouths too small, chins too pointy, hair that defies the laws of physics. I guess I'm just get tired of everyone feeling they have to draw the same way.

I liked these sprites. Especially the last one. Nicely done in my opinion.
---------------------------------------------------
http://tkfanclub.blogspot.com/

eternal eclipsea

#8 Post by eternal eclipsea »

OtomeWeekend wrote:well, it works as chibis so its fine. Though i suggest you make the necks match the bodies instead of the head's size and make it shorter(its quite long, making it look weird) cause that makes it weird :/

Also, instead of making the faces vertically long, make them horizantally, if you aim for cuteness, it adds up :) -----IF YOU'RE AIMING FOR CHIBIS.

Now, if not. you want normal sprites, then you need to work first of all on your anatomy like ennui said. They have too big heads but believe me, its not the head that was out of it, it was the body. :/ You need to make their body larger or it would be viewed as chibis with the way you drawn their bodies or the hands. :)

Also the very last one looks cute it has the best proportion in all of them. :)
Aha. I was aiming for the middle, actually. Im kind of stuck in a permanent semi-chibi style, and I AM working on making the shoulders/neck/entire body proportional. Thank you for the advice!

Weakjounin wrote:Your shy character remind me of Satou from working!!
:D
At first I thought the lines would be bad, but upon closer inspection your bodies aren't bad, they're just small. (I always feel bad talking like this cause I suck at art :'( )
Bwahah. I never thought of that. O.O And yeeeahh I should REALLY work on that, huh? And don't feel bad! I appreciate bluntness more than someone being nice and letting me draw crap. XD

HanaMori wrote:They are actually good, you're able to draw the basics well.

I think the most easiest way to improve is to draw more and more, sometimes it doesn't matter if people don't like it. You need to enjoy your drawing, don't think much about quantity or quality, make it as fun hobby. Once you think you're finally in a different level, browse back your own drawings. I'm sure you'll be satisfied with where you are now.

One of the way that I learned to draw anime is by using references. Then I read a lot of manga and see the pictures in it. Then I try my best to get the same result as in the manga (of course, it wasn't 100% perfect)

I like your drawing honestly <3 Only the cold person doesn't seem that cold to me. The idol and president is the best for me! Keep it up!
I completely agree with that second part. :3 I've actually tried some of what you said before, and it DOES actually help. I'll try it more. >.< And thank you! I shall do my best!
Dharma Fish wrote:These appear to be highly stylized cartoons. I assumed the large heads were intentional. The anime cartoons everyone on these forums likes so much are basically the same way. Eyes are too big, mouths too small, chins too pointy, hair that defies the laws of physics. I guess I'm just get tired of everyone feeling they have to draw the same way.

I liked these sprites. Especially the last one. Nicely done in my opinion.
Ahahaha. Gotta love impossible hair. And yes and no to the intentional part. It was more like.. I wanted smaller shoulders? So I guess rather than intentionally large heads, it was intentionally small bodies. >.< If that makes any sense.

And thank you. I think I put the most effort into that last one (the idol).

My DeviantART

Himekinori
Regular

#9 Post by Himekinori »

I guess shading makes them look better (cute chibis btw :D)

eternal eclipsea

#10 Post by eternal eclipsea »

Himekinori wrote:I guess shading makes them look better (cute chibis btw :D)
It would. O.O I guess you could say these are sort of computer colored sketches. That are a little more layered than a sketch. D = I don't know how to explain. But thanks!

My DeviantART