YuMMz Art Questions

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
YuMMz
Regular

YuMMz Art Questions

#1 Post by YuMMz »

As I get back into drawing, been quite a while. I am looking for feedback. Which of the following lip styles do you think works the best? Note: I hate drawing lips.
Attachments
Cassy_Base_DailyGreeting3.png
Cassy_Base_DailyGreeting2.png
Cassy_Base_DailyGreeting1.png

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

Re: YuMMz Art Questions

#2 Post by Omnificent »

I like the second one.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#3 Post by TsukiShima »

While I think this sprite is perfect, I guess I'll focus on the lips.

The first one, seems like she is talking. I don't know if it is me, but her position of her mouth seems unnatural. I think it needs to be place slightly upper.

The is not much different for the second and third one, only the second expression I think, is disappointed or sad. The third one is obviously a happy expression, judging by the smile.

Overall, I think this is good. So basically for this sprite, she has a small mouth and thin lips, which exist in reality too. :)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

When you are stylising anything, it's a good idea to know how the real thing works. There are lots and lots of different types of lips and so their are different ways to draw them. Generally speaking the top lip will either be flatter or as fat as the bottom lip. Since the top lip is often flatter, it is usually darker. The bottom lip usually has more curve and so appears lighter. The danger of make the bottom lip dark with no upper lip is that the character will look like they have their mouth open or are sticking their tongue out. Sometime providing either a couple highlight on the bottom lip, or a line under to indicate a shadow is more then enough to give the lip form.

Here is a quick image to illustrate what I mean and I couple demonstrations on stylisation that may help with your options.
Help 15.jpg

YuMMz
Regular

#5 Post by YuMMz »

Thanks for the info. Here is a zoomed in version of #2. Many of those details are already in the lips, but when I zoom out to standard size, they are not really noticeable. Although even zoomed in, I think the lips look funny.
Attachments
Cassy_Base_DailyGreetingzoom.png