A simple sketchbook thread

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
Artemis Gale
Projects: None...yet

A simple sketchbook thread

#1 Post by Artemis Gale »

I started to really get back into enjoying drawing today.

Anyway I figured I could make a sketchbook thread to track my progress.
I will most likely post random w.i.p or sketches in the beginning.
And hope to eventually start drawing sprites for VNs so I can get used to it.
At the moment just playing around with a head as seen below.

Umm if I find anything else I may want to say I'll update this first post.
As of now I'm not looking for requests but I won't say no to you posting one as I may do it if I really like it.
I would love to eventually do a bunch but I'm not sure if at a point where I feel comfortable messing with others characters.
Random W.I.P<br /><br />Pay no attention to the hair, just didn't want them to be bald anymore. xD Might change. I also just realized the ears are missing. Silly me.
Random W.I.P

Pay no attention to the hair, just didn't want them to be bald anymore. xD Might change. I also just realized the ears are missing. Silly me.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

Re: A simple sketchbook thread

#2 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Unfortunately when it comes to this forum/thread...whatever it's called! People tend to only post in threads that take requests. -_- And I shall say the fact that there are many request.....*looks for right word*...bugs. Yes, I'll call them request bugs. But yes, they tend to ignore most threads if no one will do a request.

People asking for help? Sometimes ignored. Someone who wants critique? Seems they're ignored as well. And of course threads where someone dumps their art simply because they want to for some friendly feedback. Sometimes ignored depending on the person.

So just saying don't expect very many posts in here.

Anyway~ Very interesting style you have. A hint of realism huh? And it seems you're using a tablet. Or am I wrong....I don't know. @@
ImageImageImageImage

Artemis Gale

#3 Post by Artemis Gale »

I figured as much, that's okay for me though. This is more for my benefit at the moment. Somewhere to kind of keep an eye on my progress and until I have a game idea, another reason for me to keep coming the site and posting for now.

Thank you though. I suppose. Lol.
I'm not good at what knowing what styles could be considered.
Yes I have a tablet, a little bamboo fun from a couple of years ago I think. It was a birthday present.

And I've thought about requests, but I'm still not sure. I'm just really iffy about it because I have the fear I'm gonna draw someone's character wrong or something of the sort. ><

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#4 Post by Mink »

Eh, I've just been put off of critiquing people by another forum Gaia, where if you don't give asspats they throw a fit. Or go, "It's not a anatomy problem, it's my style!" No, dear, you just can't draw.

And I don't know, you could call the style real-ISH. /terrible pun
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Artemis Gale

#5 Post by Artemis Gale »

Yeah, I've been on the Gaia forums. Most of the people who post just want you to tell them how wonderful their work is (especially if it's terrible). And then some of the people who critique are tired of it and so they get kind of mean about it and ugh. I just don't think I would ever post stuff up on Gaia, sometimes I'll do a thread in the freebies, but when it comes to art otherwise, I'm just unsure on that site. ><

Lol, well it seems more cartoonish than realish to me. xD
Now in my head I'm saying relish and I'm hungry, don't even like relish. Lol.

Nekomiira
Regular
Completed: The Madness(as an artist)

#6 Post by Nekomiira »

I love her nose. ;;A;; (assuming it's a her. if it isn't, hit me)^^
it just fits so perfectly for your character! (i don't know what kind of a nose fetish i have right now, excuse me) xD
You have a really nice style. i you ever finish this i'd like to see it, 'couse right now her being earless kinda bothers me a little.
but anyway, keep up the good work! :)

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#7 Post by DragoonHP »

At first I thought that there was a man standing behind... but then I realised it was just his hair... :-p

I think the best part about the sketch it his nose... and the worst part his mouth... whenever I look at his mouth, the face of Joker (From Batman) flashes in front of my eyes... :-D

Ah and yeah, keep up the good work...

Artemis Gale

#8 Post by Artemis Gale »

Yeah I think it will end up being a her, it was just a face I sketched while trying to get back to drawing and being loose. Though my men would probably look a little more masculine. Lol. Or at least I would try.
I love noses too so I have no qualms if the nose is your favorite part. Noses are sooo wonderful. I should draw a bunch for no reason now! xD
Yeah the earless bothers me too, I was working on lineart, but it kind of looks weird, think I might look up a few things about linearting, I have never been good at it. *shakes head*

Yeah it's crazy hair, I just like blobbed it on the head so that they wouldn't be bald. Looks terrible now that I look at it again. Still have no idea about hair though. Maybe should go look at some different hairstyle references and see if that will help.

That mouth, I have no idea what I was thinking. It's way too big and just awkward shape and gah! WTH me!? *slaps own hand*
I assure you if I do finish this the mouth will no longer be Joker-like, at least not this much if it still does happen to look Joker-like.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#9 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

The lips look fine to me. Gave her a little character and had me instantly recognize her as a girl. Of course we all have our preferences to how something should look.

It's also all right that the hair is a "blob" for now since it's just a sketch. I usually save hair and clothes for last once I finally decide what look I like on what I draw. Always best to do the body first than add the details. =P Now if only I could return to those days...blah.

And I do have to admit that if you continued what you have on the right side to the left, it's as if she's wearing a towel or a turban. (I think that's what they're called). Although not sure if girls are allowed to wear those either. I'm not going to claim anything since I don't know much about other cultures.

.....And now I have the urge to listen to Aladdin's street rat song. Excuse me please. XD

Edit: Oh, it's name is One Jump Ahead.
ImageImageImageImage

Artemis Gale

#10 Post by Artemis Gale »

Well I hope when I adjust them they still give her a little character. I think the length really bothers me more than anything.
When I was sketching it out it looked the right length but now I can see I made them a lot wider than I had originally planned.

I love hair but I completely suck at drawing it, so when I go to fix it, it will definitely be an interesting experience for me.

Oh or maybe a hood, a bit odd looking maybe, but I get that kind of feeling as well.

Lol, I love that song. I now kind of want to listen to it to. >>

Artemis Gale

#11 Post by Artemis Gale »

I'm not done with this, but I may stop working on it for this evening and do something else.
So I thought I would share the progress.

I see a lot of mistakes myself, but I'm not sure at my current skill level if I can fix them, but I do still like it.
Now that I'm looking at it more I'm not sure if I like the corner of the eye, may try rounding it out more.
Attachments
A bit of the 'lineart'. I'm not sure if it's really looking that way though.
A bit of the 'lineart'. I'm not sure if it's really looking that way though.

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by DragoonHP »

The sketch you posted above is wonderful... great improvement from before...

And if I may do small nitpick, the bottom lip a little bigger then it normally should be...
But if you were going for that effect, more power to you... :-)

Artemis Gale

#13 Post by Artemis Gale »

Thank you and I think I see what you mean.
Might try making the bottom lip a little smaller and see how it looks.
Still a lot of work to do on it.
Having a lot of fun though. ^^
Been a while since I've had this much fun while drawing. It's nice.

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by DragoonHP »

Seeing you post your work, I have a sudden urge to post mine own dreadful art :-p

Artemis Gale

#15 Post by Artemis Gale »

Awww I'm sure it's not dreadful. =]