Art Critique~

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
RainingRipples
Projects: An Otome Game. (;

Art Critique~

#1 Post by RainingRipples »

So when My first attempt at digital art was this. (Hahaha, I just screenshotted both.. ^^")
And as you can see, I had major problems in the shading aspects.
oldattempts..JPG
This is my second attempt at digital art after reading and watching manymany tutorials.
robinfanart.jpg
Hopefully I've improved !! hahaha,
It was a fanart for the amazing Rock Robin game ! I'm sure most of you know it ! keke.

Please give me criticism and tips !! THANK YOU ! :D

CosmicKitty
Regular
Projects: Patchwork Battles, Time Stones

Re: Art Critique~

#2 Post by CosmicKitty »

I like the way you colored her pupil :) although is it supposed to look like a cateyeish, the black part is a line instead of round. (I don't know the character) The curls look pretty good, they should have a little space between ringlets (here's a tutorial on curls http://buprettyinpink.deviantart.com/fa ... 4#/d30luby )

You should blend shadows that come from a light source, but cast shadows, like the shadows from her hair, should be block shaded.

I'm not a big fan of the halo highlight, I know a lot of people use it, but it doesn't look natural. Also, if you're going to use it, then it should be a thicker line than you have.

I don't really understand the chunk of blue, is it a blue highlight? if so it should be more structured not just painted over a corner of hair. you usually don't highlight parts of a strand of hair unless they're just tips.

Her lips seem very small. (Here's a tutorial on lips http://buprettyinpink.deviantart.com/fa ... 4#/d3jd3ph ) Either choose to do the line mouth common in anime or make the lips look right. The tutorial is for realistic lips, but if you can draw those you can make them more cartoony easily.

The hair doesn't look like it really has a light source, although now that I look more, I'm not sure if you used a light source period.

Overall, it looks really promising :) the chin seems a little pointy (common in anime styling) but besides that the anatomy looks right to me :)

btw, if you like tutorials look through my favorites on deviantart, i save all of the tutorials i find really useful :)
Completed Games:
Holiday Hijinks: House on Haunted Hill
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=17849

The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done,
we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change.
So that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger,
but in wisdom, understanding and love.
Jennifer Edwards